User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User melevittfl
(learned) Sat 03-Nov-18 20:32:36
Print Post

Sudden loss of internet

[link to this post]

Phone line is working and the Fritzbox says the DSL connection is syncing. But the Internet tab says “no connection” and the log has PPPoE Timeout” messages

Happened about 20:15. Nothing on the Zen status page.

Anyone else? I’m in the Reading area.

Edit: Ah, there’s an outage notice on the status page now.

Edited by melevittfl (Sat 03-Nov-18 20:36:54)

Standard User t22design
(newbie) Sat 03-Nov-18 21:56:05
Print Post

Re: Sudden loss of internet

[re: melevittfl] [link to this post]

It would be nice if it came back on now!

To be fair, it’s the first time I’ve known it be down for so long.
Standard User melevittfl
(learned) Sun 04-Nov-18 02:40:27
Print Post

Came back on at about 12 but suddenly died again st about 2:30am

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User IamQ
(experienced) Sun 04-Nov-18 12:50:00
Print Post

[re: t22design] [link to this post]

Hopefully someone from Zen land might explain how a single failure wipes out half the network including leased line connections for multiple hours multiple times in the same night...

So much for award winning network...

And the state of the updates (https://servicealerts.zen.co.uk/active/5/5240) leaves a lot to be desired... Let someone drink from the same cup as A&A and give us some real technical info and honesty. Things fail and break but lets have the details and build some customer trust. back up.
Standard User steve195527
(learned) Sun 04-Nov-18 13:40:28
Print Post

[re: IamQ] [link to this post]

sometimes things go wrong that cannot be fixed at the drop of a hat and that no amount of contingency can cover,the more we rely on technology for everyday things the more we have to accept that's**t will happen and things can, because of the complexity,take time to fix
Standard User IamQ
(experienced) Sun 04-Nov-18 15:14:01
Print Post

[re: steve195527] [link to this post]

Indeed and how well I know (running 24hr support teams myself)

I'll take a punt and say there was interface trouble on a 10gb link/card - that's fine. What happened to the redundant/bonded link?

Its not so much the outage (they are thankfully few in Zen land) it's the fact an apparent single point of failure on the core network exists, and the 'woolly' status updates which give no real details as to the issue or how long the outage may persist. Had for example they said something like 'there was an external major fibre break and engineers where enroute to reroute & resplice' then we can all take for that it's going to be a protracted outage an plan accordingly. Or something like 'a link has failed due to a faulty SFP and will be swapped once the engineer is on site' tells us its going to be a quick fix (as appeared the case last night.)
Standard User steve195527
(learned) Sun 04-Nov-18 17:13:05
Print Post

[re: IamQ] [link to this post]

well they have put out a service alert and if you click on the ones affecting you it does give a fair bit of info on how things are progressing,problem seems in the hands of 3rd party engineers(does that mean openreach/talk talk?)

https://servicealerts.zen.co.uk/
Standard User NJSS
(member) Sun 04-Nov-18 18:09:40
Print Post

A&AISP had a bad night too.

My service was down for all of 66 seconds ending at 3:07:26.

I was, of course, immediately advise by SMS of the line being down, and again 66 seconds later that it was up again.

I can't recommend them highly enough.

NJSS

Print Thread

Jump to