User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User D9Dan
(newbie) Thu 29-Nov-18 15:00:17
Print Post

Slower Broadband after power cut

[link to this post]

Over the past 10 days or so our local power grid has been having a few issues. Our street has had 2 power surges (everything off then back on in a second or two) and then one prolonged outage that lasted for an hour or so.

Since then, my broadband DL speed has dropped from an average of around 40 MBPS to around 12 MBPS.

It's still perfectly usable but obviously I'd prefer to have it running at full whack!

I've tested with 2 different routers & different filters but the speed remains the same.

Any ideas?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 29-Nov-18 17:04:54
Print Post

Re: Slower Broadband after power cut

[re: D9Dan] [link to this post]

Whatever you do don't repeatedly re-sync to see if it improves. If you do, it won't.

Do you have access the router stats, the most important ones being the connection speeds, SNR Margins and attenuations? We could do with seeing them smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 72382/13812Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User D9Dan
(newbie) Thu 29-Nov-18 18:13:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply. I do have access to the router stats, and the details are below: (I think!)

Speeds:

UP - 11 Mbit/s
DOWN - 13 Mbit/s

SNR

SEND - 6 dB
RECEIVE - 23 dB

Line attenuation

SEND - 29 dB
RECEIVE - 19 dB

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User deezel
(learned) Thu 29-Nov-18 20:46:41
Print Post

Same thing happened to me over a month ago , I used to get a good 73 Mbps now I'm lucky to get between 50 to 60 Mbps
Browsing has slowed right down to , what was a decent connection is now rubbish especially evening time

Billion 8900 AX 2400
ZEN Unlimited 80/20 FTTC
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 30-Nov-18 00:34:55
Print Post

That Receive SNR (Margin) of 23dB does suggest DLM has capped your speed because of the errors caused by the power problems. Not being awkward, have you got the full Kbps figures for the speeds please? Those look like you have rounded them to Mbps.

The reason I ask is because the numbers on capped lines are usually recognisable. Then it becomes a question of putting up with it and waiting possibly several weeks, until DLM relents in several steps. The steps come quite rapidly once it does do this. Or trying to persuade your ISP to get the DLM reset. Some are willing, some don't even seem to understand the question crazy.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 72382/13812Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 03-Dec-18 13:56:36
Print Post

[re: deezel] [link to this post]

well 73 down to 50 wont affect browsing speed, but been interleaved would. Has your latency gone up?

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User WilliamGrimsley
(experienced) Mon 03-Dec-18 15:11:13
Print Post

You'd think DLM would've treated it as a "Wide Area Event" considering that the OP described the power issues affecting a wide area.

William Grimsley.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 03-Dec-18 18:57:32
Print Post

[re: WilliamGrimsley] [link to this post]

A street wide area outage may seem a wide area to those living in it, but in relation to an exchange area it is probably not.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(experienced) Mon 03-Dec-18 20:03:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The OP appears to be on VDSL, and wide area events are decided by the DSLAM in the cabinets, AFAIK.

William Grimsley.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 03-Dec-18 23:41:48
Print Post

[re: deezel] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by deezel:
Same thing happened to me over a month ago , I used to get a good 73 Mbps now I'm lucky to get between 50 to 60 Mbps
Browsing has slowed right down to , what was a decent connection is now rubbish especially evening time
We are talking about connection speed, not throughput though. Yours sounds like a throughput problem.

Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
Standard User D9Dan
(newbie) Tue 04-Dec-18 14:21:56
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Sorry for the late reply. I've had a look and here is todays speeds in Kbit/s. It's down a bit on the previous reading:

Download: 9.999 kbit/s

Looking at the throughput and it does look to be capped at 10 MBPS:

Max. DSLAM throughput kbit/s: 10000
Attainable throughput kbit/s: 48594
Current throughput kbit/s: 9999
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 04-Dec-18 15:02:43
Print Post

Reading the strange use of "throughput" in those figures as in fact being "Sync speed" or "Connection speed" (which are identical to each other), they clearly show that the DLM had capped the line at 10Mbps.

Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
(experienced) Tue 04-Dec-18 16:25:46
Print Post

Yes, quite a severe cap, seems extreme for just a few power cuts!

William Grimsley.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to