User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User movielad
(regular) Wed 13-Mar-19 13:38:00
Print Post

Zen, G.Fast, Openreach and.. puttin' on the FRITZ!

[link to this post]

I recently switched over to Zen from Sky Broadband yesterday. I went for the G.Fast 160Mbs/30Mbs package. There were a number of issues:

1) Openreach didn't seem to know anything about the Fritz! box - though I wouldn't have expected them to - but I would have at least expected to see notes describing what it requires. Even I didn't have any useful notes either after placing the order or receiving the box. I assumed that the Fritz! box had a G.Fast compatible modem built-in, but alas, that isn't the case. After a quick call to Zen, the engineer got a Huawei MT992 box out - though they didn't have any DSL cables - I had to borrow the one from the Sky Q Broadband box. I assume that G.Fast will happily work with regular RJ11 DSL cables?

2) No instructions were included - either through email or through in the Fritz! box in order to configure it properly. The system looks to assume it'll be used for non-G.Fast connections. I'd also like to say at this point the support pages at Zen are horribly out of date with many 404 (not found) pages. The Openreach engineer had to call Zen and we went through the process together. A learning experience for us both!

3) After internet connection was established and working - was disappointed with the Fritz! Box wireless output. My MacBook Pro sitting a few meters across the room could only get around 100-101Mbs wirelessness. Connected to the box itself via ethernet - 140Mbs which is okay - though I'd have expected a bit higher even taking into consideration overheads. Yes, I have made sure that the cable that connects between the MT992 and Fritz! Box is capable of gigabit speeds (and that the port itself is set gigabit). So no limitations there, hopefully. Upstairs (I live in a small 2 bedroom cottage) I get half the speed when connecting via my iPhone. At least Sky had the courtesy of building in a decent mesh system with their Sky Q system.

4) My HP OfficeJet 8620 will NOT remain connected to the wireless network. It connects and remains connected to the network for about 2 minutes before disconnecting. I've tried every blinkin' setting relating to power and sleep modes to try and ensure it's not that which is cutting off the connection, but nope. Everything else seems to be working properly. I had to get around this issue by using powerlink adapters. The blinkin' printer is in plain sight of the router - and not that much further than my Mac.

5) I'm planning on replacing the Fritz! Box with something that works properly. Would Zen take the Fritz! Box back? It's undoubtedly an impressive OS, but hardware wise it just doesn't match up with what Sky Broadband were offering at 12 quid less per month.
Standard User lexden16
(committed) Thu 14-Mar-19 11:43:44
Print Post

Re: Zen, G.Fast, Openreach and.. puttin' on the FRITZ!

[re: movielad] [link to this post]

I wouldnít ditch the Fritz!Box too quickly. I have been a fan for over 5 years. Yes it is true the box that Zen is now supplying does not have a G.Fast capability. Other Fritz!Boxes do but they are not approved under SIN 498. Putting a Fritz!Box into router only mode is easy. They are plenty of instructions and videos on AVMís website. I have a Fritz!Box connected to a Fritz!Repeater 3000 and I get near max speeds via WiFi in all areas of my 4 bed home.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Mar-19 15:56:45
Print Post

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lexden16:
I wouldnít ditch the Fritz!Box too quickly. I have been a fan for over 5 years. Yes it is true the box that Zen is now supplying does not have a G.Fast capability. Other Fritz!Boxes do but they are not approved under SIN 498. Putting a Fritz!Box into router only mode is easy. They are plenty of instructions and videos on AVMís website. I have a Fritz!Box connected to a Fritz!Repeater 3000 and I get near max speeds via WiFi in all areas of my 4 bed home.

Which model of the frit box where you supplied with? the 7530 which according to zen's web site is the one they are supplying for G.fast, and that model is G .fast compatible, if they sent you a 3490 then this is the wrong one for G,fast only ADSL/VDSL compatible, as an engineer install +moden cost them more they i'm pretty sure will opt for engineer only ,no BT modem
fritz 7530
Zen router 7530 G.fast 35b compatible
Comparision 7530 /7590 35b
Well 35b isn't g.fast which i thought it was

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 14-Mar-19 16:10:25)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lexden16
(committed) Thu 14-Mar-19 16:34:15
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

According to the AVM technical specifications, the Fritz!Box 7530 is not G.Fast capable. Models such as the 7583 have this capability.

Zenís Website does not list G.Fast

VDSL or ADSL compatibility
IP-based telephony
4 x gigabit Ethernet; WAN via LAN 1 port
Wireless AC with up to 866Mbps (5GHz)
Wireless N with up to 400Mbps (2.4GHz)
Dual wireless LAN
1 x fast USB port for printers and storage media
DECT base station for up to six handsets
1 a/b port for analogue telephones, answering machines or fax machines on an IP-based line
Future proof with IPv6

35b - Supervectoring

https://en.avm.de/guide/high-speed-and-range/35b-sup...

Edited by lexden16 (Thu 14-Mar-19 16:53:38)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Mar-19 17:21:32
Print Post

According to the AVM technical specifications, the Fritz!Box 7530 is not G.Fast capable. Models such as the 7583 have this capability.

Zenís Website does not list G.Fast

VDSL or ADSL compatibility
IP-based telephony
4 x gigabit Ethernet; WAN via LAN 1 port
Wireless AC with up to 866Mbps (5GHz)
Wireless N with up to 400Mbps (2.4GHz)
Dual wireless LAN
1 x fast USB port for printers and storage media
DECT base station for up to six handsets
1 a/b port for analogue telephones, answering machines or fax machines on an IP-based line
Future proof with IPv6

35b - Supervectoring

https://en.avm.de/guide/high-speed-and-range/35b-sup...

here: the router they supposedly supply zen router 7530 zen's Gfast https://www.zen.co.uk/home/broadband/ultrafast-fibre
what isn't clear is if the standard for g.fast G.993.2 and 35b super vectoring are one and the same thing ????

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 14-Mar-19 18:04:54)

Standard User lexden16
(committed) Thu 14-Mar-19 17:37:29
Print Post

I can find nothing on Zenís website that suggests that the 7530 is a G.Fast capable modem. Looking at other TBB threads on this subject, it would seem that the advice is to accept the OR modem. The 7530 can then be bridged to that modem.

Any concerns are probably best directed at Zen.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Mar-19 17:52:13
Print Post

I can find nothing on Zenís website that suggests that the 7530 is a G.Fast capable modem. Looking at other TBB threads on this subject, it would seem that the advice is to accept the OR modem. The 7530 can then be bridged to that modem.

Any concerns are probably best directed at Zen.
Your correct there is nothing on the zen website but there is on AVM's the manufacturer's web site which i linked to in the comparison linky, assuming that 35b super vector is the same as G.fast standard which according to the info i have found is G.993.2, Problem with the AVM web site is it does not list the ITU standards that the modem is compatible with

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 14-Mar-19 17:54:38)

Standard User Geordish
(regular) Thu 14-Mar-19 18:08:27
Print Post

Supervectoring is not the same as G.Fast. It is a VDSL2 profile.
Standard User lexden16
(committed) Thu 14-Mar-19 19:01:52
Print Post

[re: Geordish] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Geordish:

ISPreview suggests that the rollout of G.Fast is currently an engineer install. The installer should offer a free G.Fast modem. Zen is the UK Distributor for AVM (Fritz!Box). The problem that all ISPs have is that they are duty bound to offer equipment that is certified under SIN 498. As far as I know, only the 3490 and the 7530 have this certification.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Mar-19 20:52:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by Geordish:

ISPreview suggests that the rollout of G.Fast is currently an engineer install. The installer should offer a free G.Fast modem. Zen is the UK Distributor for AVM (Fritz!Box). The problem that all ISPs have is that they are duty bound to offer equipment that is certified under SIN 498. As far as I know, only the 3490 and 7530 have this certification.
Maybe they have for VDSL products, but not for g.fast because the modem isn't used for G.fast because it doesn't support it,, Any router with an Ewan port rated at 1gb will work as a router in bridge mode which is how you will be using the supplied frizbox 7530 and the BT OR MT as modem such as the
Billion BiPAC 8900AX-1600 R2 Dual-Band WiFi router has five Gigabit LAN ports and port #5 can be configured as an Ethernet WAN port. This EWAN offers another broadband connectivity option for connecting to a cable, DSL, fiber modem. The Billion BiPAC 8900AX-1600 R2 Dual-Band WiFi router again offers users convenience and optimal network performance with data rates reaching up to 1Gbps.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to