User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Wed 28-Feb-18 09:15:59
Print Post

What is the Single Threaded Download problem?

[link to this post]

What is the single threaded download issue some people complain about, why does it matter, should I care?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Feb-18 09:29:00
Print Post

Re: What is the Single Threaded Download problem?

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

If you have to ask then its probably not impacting you.

The effect for those with issue can be slow/poor video streaming if really bad, some types of downloads are affected too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Wed 28-Feb-18 09:35:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I did a TBB speed test and see the single speed is ~ 10Mb whereas the headline figure is 43Mb. So that's usual? And yes, I can watch Netflix without any trouble so I guess I don't care?!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Feb-18 11:28:37
Print Post

http://tbb.st/1519810299473110055 your test

Netflix needs 4 to 8 Mbps to offer its HD stream, more if you want UHD so with 10 Mbps you might not notice.

What is interesting in your case is the time it takes to reach max speed on the multiple downloads, and lack of resolution in the upload.

A good Zen test would look like http://tbb.st/1517910406158301355
Very high speed as has FTTP but what you want is a sharp rise to maximum speed for both tests, this will ensure your web and download experience is snappy.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 3MbBik
(learned) Wed 28-Feb-18 12:03:17
Print Post

This is typical of my Zen service in chilly Tavistock, when it is working correctly;

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15198184692...

Godfrey.
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Wed 28-Feb-18 13:02:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
What is interesting in your case is the time it takes to reach max speed on the multiple downloads, and lack of resolution in the upload.

OK so I've switched the WiFi off, quit everything and connected via Ethernet.

http://tbb.st/1519822606304681155

I'm moving soon so not fussed about the speed etc here but genuinely wondered what the problem is.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Feb-18 13:29:57
Print Post

Upload looks better now.

Download you still have the single thread issue, which if the issue is within the backhaul would be the case no matter how much you optimised things e.g. connect via Ethernet

If you are happy, then you are happy, of course if you start watching live 4K content you might see real problems.

Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Wed 28-Feb-18 14:13:42
Print Post

If you are happy, then you are happy, of course if you start watching live 4K content you might see real problems.

I'm happy for the moment but I don't have a 4K TV, maybe I'd be less so if I did. And as I say, I'm moving soon anyhow. OTOH if I see it on my new connection I'll start to care as I also plan a 4K TV for Netflix etc. But if its a backhaul issue out of my city, I'm likely to see it?

I don't think I ever saved my TBB speed tests from a previous address but I always felt my 4G mobile connection was snappier. Perhaps I've been suffering in ignorance.
Standard User steve195527
(newbie) Wed 28-Feb-18 20:25:39
Print Post

isn't more a case ot the service does need sorting out,no matter if you're happy at the moment it isn't working as it should do,you shouldn't have to think about getting it sorted once the issue gives you problems,zen are classed as one of the premier providers and should be happy to put this right for you
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Thu 01-Mar-18 08:57:05
Print Post

[re: steve195527] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by steve195527:
isn't more a case ot the service does need sorting out,no matter if you're happy at the moment it isn't working as it should do,you shouldn't have to think about getting it sorted once the issue gives you problems,zen are classed as one of the premier providers and should be happy to put this right for you

Yes, for sure, I agree. But I'm about to move. I could spend time and effort trying to fix the problem here (and my impression is I won't be able to) only to move and have to start all over again. OTOH if someone wants to let me know how to fix it at my current location with reasonable ease and effort I'll do that.

I think I'm saying the connection works for me and my needs. I didn't even know I was affected, I'm not unhappy.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 01-Mar-18 09:06:41
Print Post

It is not something you fix, but something you report to Zen who then fix it.

Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Thu 01-Mar-18 09:18:43
Print Post

It is not something you fix, but something you report to Zen who then fix it.

OK, I should let them see my TTB speedtest and say I want the single download to be as fast as the 6x?

Actually I'm now wondering if this will have an affect on my backups which run overnight. They go over a VPN to another Zen connection. How would I know if it uses a single or multi thread connection?

Thanks
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Mar-18 11:29:16
Print Post

Indeed you have a congestion issue, most things do not download or upload multi threaded, e.g. A netflix stream, amazon video stream etc are not multi threaded. You are very close to hitting issues streaming full HD on Amazon Instant Video for example.

Congestion also increases latency, so gaming etc will lag more than otherwise.

Backups are largely limited by upload not download so I imagine they are fine.
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Thu 01-Mar-18 11:54:45
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Backups are largely limited by upload not download so I imagine they are fine.

Yes but I'm running backups in both directions. I 'm expecting to be able to receive backup data from another location at "up to" 20Mb, which is the available upload speed there. I guess if its only sending a single thread its slower than it could be? Not sure how to know or find out. ChronoSync FWIW.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Mar-18 11:56:40
Print Post

Monitor the upload speed in task manager on windows or activity monitor on OSX.

If you use kaspersky, it skews these stats often (inflates them).
Standard User FTTP2
(newbie) Fri 02-Mar-18 08:32:35
Print Post

Is the single threaded issue with Zen a specific VDSL issue (I see most of you with a 80/20 connection test). I am about to sign up for FTTP 150/30 or so, will that still be an issue?
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Mar-18 09:26:59
Print Post

[re: FTTP2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by FTTP2:
Is the single threaded issue with Zen a specific VDSL issue (I see most of you with a 80/20 connection test). I am about to sign up for FTTP 150/30 or so, will that still be an issue?
Zen specific, in essence Zen are not purchasing adequate capacity for the user base, a trick providers such as Tiscali, Wanadoo etc used to do years ago. The single thread is unlikely to rise if you opt for 150/30 as it's not meeting your current speed.

To give a reference here are a few of my tests, note the lines are both closely aligned indicating no congestion on most of the BT ones. Tests over WiFi on ISP supplied kit (BT HomeHub 6 and Sky Q Hub) so that can cause higher pings etc:
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/14770058691... - BT
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/14716296064... - BT
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/14794785522... - BT
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/14796806831... - BT
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/14833184342... - BT
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15190894357... - Sky (some congestion apparent)
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/14794785522... - Office leased line

In my view you stand to gain nothing by upgrading on Zen right now, as your single thread is where the real performance factor comes from and that will remain stagnant. Multi threaded downloads e.g. a torrent where it makes 50+ connections should speed up.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Fri 02-Mar-18 09:29:14)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 02-Mar-18 10:12:47
Print Post

I'd say its not Zen specific but backhaul provider specific, i.e. a backhaul provider has something configured for how each individual download is handled as load reaches a certain point.

Seems to be a lottery, as when I've looked at the stats in the past it is something affecting 10 to 15% of tests

The way you would see the single thread effect is those big hero images that websites love these days will be slow to download, even though other elements are already present

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Mar-18 10:14:02
Print Post

Ahhhh good point and a very valid distinction indeed.
Standard User FTTP2
(newbie) Sat 03-Mar-18 09:59:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
The single thread is unlikely to rise if you opt for 150/30 as it's not meeting your current speed.

Would you mind to explain this? I donít quite understand what you mean: itís not meeting your current speed.

Thanks!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to