User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pajap
(newbie) Thu 17-Feb-11 18:07:18
Print Post

Re: Hurrah slow speeds finally sub 2Mb

[re: shaunkemp] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by shaunkemp:
We could not take this fault to BT until we had tested with another router, a router you were happy for us to send.

We should have explained though that the router was being sent on a sale or return basis

Happy for you to send me one, Yes.
If it fixed it, I would have offered payment.

Happy for you to send me one after a 1-line email stating: "I think we should raise a fault, but want to try another router first as a final check. Want us to send one out for testing?".
That is a very big NO! without further discussion (other than me replying "yes.....")!!

Happy to pay £8 next day delivery. Not at any time but certainly not when I know there will be no-one home to accept delivery, the next day or any day in immediate future. And certainly not without being advised of the charges upfront. Your business customers might have an endless pot of money but I do not!

I would have liked confirmation you were going to send it and to agree (or not) to the £28 router cost.
Then I would have liked to arrange a convenient delivery date and address to send it to *if* I agreed to the terms of sale.

I would have liked some details on exactly what router you were shipping me. I certainly would not have accepted the lower spec one you sent (lower spec than the one I currently have). This router would have been of no use to me with only 1 LAN port. It would have required a couple of days testing and this would have left me with just 1 PC and no VoIP.

I had assumed you were thinking of sending me a loan one for free!!
I was not expecting you to try an make a profit out of my connection issues (small one or not).

Anyway after the conversation I had with your MD I have decided AAISP is not for me any more and have requested my MAC.

Thanks.

Edited by pajap (Thu 17-Feb-11 18:09:55)

Standard User Rich44
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Feb-11 21:53:51
Print Post

[re: Rich44] [link to this post]

Well this is still going on BT say everything is green.

Funny thing is the connection seems ok if you sit there doing repeated speedtests (boring and not something I do normally, i'm not obsessed) yet if I start some Usenet downloads off for a bit I can sit and watch the speed drop, then stop the download and retest and...

1Mbps speed this evening sooooo 3 options as far as I can see:

1. Fault my end, unlikely as fault has existed with 3 different routers
2. Fault on BT side
3. Some kind of traffic shaping - I know it's a dirty phrase and i'm not slinging accusations but that's what it looks like i'm NOT saying it's AA doing it but it's what i've seen in the past with other connections on less reputable ISPs when throttling kicks in.

Y'know I pay the local football team for the feed for the commentary during matches (from the BBC but it's pulled during matches unless you pay) so it's a commerical service and even that was struggling, with nothing else going on a simple radio feed was almost unlistenable on an 8Mbps line with 7150Kbps IP profile.

I've just started work on the Census 2011 and will need the connection for VPN access so i'm starting to get really concerned about this now.

Can someone please escalate this as I seem to have to keep chasing the ticket, when AA went off to BT with the speedtest results I was promised a return email with an update that never materialised until I sent another email asking.

8Mb sync
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Rich44
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Feb-11 21:57:58
Print Post

Testing new sig

8Mb sync
My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative shaunkemp
(isp) Sun 20-Feb-11 09:39:37
Print Post

PM me the support ticket and I will look into this myself

Andrews & Arnold
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User bacupian
(newbie) Sun 20-Feb-11 11:13:30
Print Post

Your speed tests would indicate there is no problem.

I'm on 20CN and was on an 8Mbit connection but the service was unusable
sometimes with 5Mbit downloads but sometimes with bras rate going down
to the minimum with downloads timing out and bras rate then only
increasing very slowly so my average download speed was way below
what I had on 512kbit.

I was put back to 2Mbit connection and now the speed tests mostly show
2Mbit. Download speeds from the internet are anything up to 2Mbit but
I have no control of the remote host and number or downloads supported
at any one time. eg. my own servers can only manage about 250kbit total
divided by number of simultaneous downloads.

There is one option which you missed and your conclusion that a fault
is not at your end because it exists with 3 different routers only shows
that the routers are unlikely to be at fault.

What operating system are you using?

Are there any background downloads taking place?

Are you using a wireless hub that can be hijacked?

Have you checked your router stats to confirm your traffic levels
during slow downloads?

David
Standard User Rich44
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Feb-11 17:08:40
Print Post

[re: bacupian] [link to this post]

Thank you for the post David but you think that 1.4Mb on an 8Mbps sync is "normal" do you LMAO stroll on. As i've also said BRAS is irrelevant it's always been 7150 so it's nothing to do with that. for about 3 years I had this line and this NEVER happened it's only been happening over the past 18 months/2 years on/off and with different ISPs so I'm fairly sure it's not AA itself.

As for the speedtests those are BT speedtests not 3rd party ones, nor solely TBB speedtests either. Again your supposition about servers being able to support speeds etc is again irrelevant it's the BT speedtester nothing to do with what other servers can support. Usenet is provided by Giganews and speeds drop inline with the speedtests.

I'd like to know what fault you think could be at my end with no internal wiring, no sky plugged into the line, only master socket in use.

Look I really hate willy waving but I will say I work in the IT industry so generally like to think I know what i'm talking about.

Wireless is secured, very rural no one else nearby to hack it either.
No background downloads, I don't use Windows auto updates it's evil.

If you read the earlier post this is just the latest symptom of a long running fault that BT have never been able to pin down sadly.

I'll say it again it's the BT speedtester returning those speedtest results nothing else. I'm not saying it's not something here but the historic faults of traffic just stopping for no reason, PPP up and obviously Sync no line drop but no traffic this happened on/off for 2 years BT don't have a clue like I said a barrage of routers/filters changed over time but it's intermittant all BT did was send an engineer out who tested it then and said NFF (this was before I came to AAISP so not their fault)

8Mb sync
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User bacupian
(newbie) Mon 21-Feb-11 11:10:48
Print Post

I had a fault on my line accepted by BT when my router was setup to
login to BT rather than AAISP and the BT speedtest showed full rate
then when logged in to AAISP the speed was slow. This was confirmed
with both my own system and BT engineers modem/laptop.

BT claimed it was an AAISP fault but it was actually the equipment at
the exchange that was either faulty or had been swapped out. After the
fault was diagnosed it was several months before it was fixed.

David
Standard User Rich44
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Feb-11 19:19:07
Print Post

Just to update the thread i've had a few emails keeping me updated frmo AA, apparently this is with BT's "Complex faults" team, well that's a start I suppose. Complex because BT don't have a clue perhaps??

lol

8Mb sync
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Rich44
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Feb-11 17:14:16
Print Post

Well after many many claims from BT or nothings wrong our systems show green they now say the exchnage is overloaded every VP is full and they need to install an additional DSLAM but not until June (31/5/2011)

I'd like to know if you have an 8Mb sync and your line keeps running as low as 1Mb what come back there is on that. I know it's a contended service but THAT contended? So contended that on a Saturday afternoon a simple radio stream is unusable?

AA have gone back to BT and asked if they can get this sorted out sooner but with what BT said previously and the fact that the date is a long way off personally I think they thought nothing was wrong and they've now looked and gone oh [censored] and hastilly scheduled a visit, otherwise surely when AA would have been going to them previously they would have seen work was scheduled?

Smacks of BT covering it's ass as usual, very very annoyed and shall be passing the details on to our local parish councils as i'm sure they will be extremely annoyed with this as well

8Mb sync
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User bacupian
(newbie) Sat 26-Feb-11 10:36:26
Print Post

My house is about a half mile from exchange but my line routes
several hundred yards further up the road to junction box, then about
50-100yd to a pole and then back to my house overhead. Add to that
I suspect aluminium wiring in duct from exchange. During trial with
8Meg adsl I had over 7Mbit downloads but then BRAS rate was
repeatedly cut and ended up at 160kbit which I believe is the lowest it
goes. Even so my download rate dropped to zero bps before BRAS
started increasing again and hit 5Mbit. This cycle was repeated
several times over about 4 months and I downgraded to 2Mbit which
gives about 250kbit upload and reliable 2Mbit download.

Upload rate was initially only about 120-150kbit but I now have
traffic shaping enabled which gives reliable 250kbit uploads which is
just less than maximum for the service.

David
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to