User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Rich44
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 05-Feb-11 21:22:07
Print Post

Hurrah slow speeds finally sub 2Mb

[link to this post]

Well after quite a long time of cobblers speeds on/off with regular speedtests showing speeds down to 2Mbps at various times of day (daytime and evening, weekdays and weekends) and being told because my sync is 8Mbps that until it drops below 2Mbps BT won't get off their lazy whiney fat asses and do anything I have FINALLY managed to get a sub 2Mbps speedtest.

8Mb Sync
7150Kbps profile
BT speedtester returned a staggering 1.4Mbps result

HURRAH maybe now something can be done!!

(NOT a dig at AA as they can't help BT's [censored] policy) just pleased to finally get a rubbish speedtest!!

8Mb sync
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User pajap
(newbie) Wed 16-Feb-11 19:02:52
Print Post

Re: Hurrah slow speeds finally sub 2Mb

[re: Rich44] [link to this post]

Yes, my speeds with AAISP are also rubbish lately.
Seem to be going downhill fast.
Shame they used to be really good a long time ago.
Standard User gmoorc
(member) Wed 16-Feb-11 21:33:02
Print Post

[re: pajap] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pajap:

Assuming that you haven't already why don't you give them a call? In my experience and given that they advertise an uncongested network they take this kind of issue seriously.
Make use of some of that renowned A&A support you are paying for smile

They are also very open about any issues on their status pages.

Latest network quality info here.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pajap
(newbie) Wed 16-Feb-11 21:59:52
Print Post

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gmoorc:
In reply to a post by pajap:

They are also very open about any issues on their status pages.

The support is not what it once was. I have been with them nearly 7 years and have seen it deteriorate recently. I have moved my email and web hosting from them in the last year and now get the sort of speeds and service I used to with AAISP several years ago.
Looking at my scores I awarded to them here I can see it drop off from 5 stars to 1 star over the last year or so. Guess the majority must still rate them as they appear with the highest score still. This amazes me.
For my issue, they suspected the near permanent low level packet loss of between 20%-50% would need them to log a fault with BT, but said they wanted to test with another router first.
They are unsure how this packet loss managed to slip under their line monitoring and never noticed until I complained!
I said OK to the test with another router and they then just sent one out and billed me for it!! No mention of billing me or anything or any arrangements about how and when to send. They just sent it and billed me (including £8+ for next day delivery). If they had asked I could have told them no-one would be able to accept delivery this week! It will sit in the sorting office until they send it back to AAISP.

I had to complain again to get them to stop the charges for the router, which they have now done but very reluctantly.
Anyway I have lost faith and am going to move on.

Thinking of Zen as they score high here too (though I don't really know whether to trust it or not). At least they do a range of static IPs.

Also going to buy a replacement router. Need one that does non-nat, with a firewall and good performance. Wifi is optional. At least 4 wired LAN ports needed. If anyone has any suggestions it would be very much appreciated. Price is an issue but for the right one I would be willing to pay a bit more.

Edited by pajap (Wed 16-Feb-11 22:03:52)

Standard User Northwind
(newbie) Thu 17-Feb-11 10:11:54
Print Post

Hi pajap,

I concur that A&A support is going through a bad spot at present. I have support ticket numbers that never received a human reply, not even after I investigated the problem and reported the cause. Not much good having all these excellent monitoring tools if I can't get someone to follow-up on problems that they reveal.

In fact I've had to start relying on the BE User Group for network status updates instead.

> They are unsure how this packet loss managed to slip under their line monitoring
> and never noticed until I complained!

Yes, I've heard that one too.

I don't know what is going on in Enterprise Court at present, perhaps they are over-extending themselves with all those new projects like mobile SIMs and VOIP. I'd prefer that they get back to a focus on their core broadband service.
ISP Representative shaunkemp
(isp) Thu 17-Feb-11 11:15:13
Print Post

Hi Pajap

I have read through the support ticket and we have done a lot of work to diagnose the problem, unfortunately the packet loss is not showing on an LCP echo so was not picked up from the CQM graphs, it was not until we sent ICMP pings to your LAN IP did we pick up the loss.

We could not take this fault to BT until we had tested with another router, a router you were happy for us to send.

We should have explained though that the router was being sent on a sale or return basis before sending so I apologies for the lack of communications there.

Whether you stay or move I would be very interested in knowing whether another router resolves the problem, if you stay and a new router does not fix it we are more than willing to take the evidence to BT to prove the issue is in their network.

Andrews & Arnold
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
(isp) Thu 17-Feb-11 11:18:20
Print Post

[re: Northwind] [link to this post]

Hi Northwind

Any example tickets that have not been answered I would appreciate having details, either PM me or email [email protected]

We should be replying to each and every support ticket so this does concern me

Andrews & Arnold
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Northwind
(newbie) Thu 17-Feb-11 12:34:07
Print Post

[re: shaunkemp] [link to this post]

Cheers Shaun. I have pinged ( pung? gepangt? ) you some details.
(isp) Thu 17-Feb-11 13:00:11
Print Post

[re: Northwind] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Northwind:
Cheers Shaun. I have pinged ( pung? gepangt? ) you some details.

Thanks

Andrews & Arnold
Standard User Northwind
(newbie) Thu 17-Feb-11 14:22:05
Print Post

Thanks Shaun, an A&A technician has now contacted me to discuss.
Standard User pajap
(newbie) Thu 17-Feb-11 18:07:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by shaunkemp:
We could not take this fault to BT until we had tested with another router, a router you were happy for us to send.

We should have explained though that the router was being sent on a sale or return basis

Happy for you to send me one, Yes.
If it fixed it, I would have offered payment.

Happy for you to send me one after a 1-line email stating: "I think we should raise a fault, but want to try another router first as a final check. Want us to send one out for testing?".
That is a very big NO! without further discussion (other than me replying "yes.....")!!

Happy to pay £8 next day delivery. Not at any time but certainly not when I know there will be no-one home to accept delivery, the next day or any day in immediate future. And certainly not without being advised of the charges upfront. Your business customers might have an endless pot of money but I do not!

I would have liked confirmation you were going to send it and to agree (or not) to the £28 router cost.
Then I would have liked to arrange a convenient delivery date and address to send it to *if* I agreed to the terms of sale.

I would have liked some details on exactly what router you were shipping me. I certainly would not have accepted the lower spec one you sent (lower spec than the one I currently have). This router would have been of no use to me with only 1 LAN port. It would have required a couple of days testing and this would have left me with just 1 PC and no VoIP.

I had assumed you were thinking of sending me a loan one for free!!
I was not expecting you to try an make a profit out of my connection issues (small one or not).

Anyway after the conversation I had with your MD I have decided AAISP is not for me any more and have requested my MAC.

Thanks.

Edited by pajap (Thu 17-Feb-11 18:09:55)

Standard User Rich44
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Feb-11 21:53:51
Print Post

Well this is still going on BT say everything is green.

Funny thing is the connection seems ok if you sit there doing repeated speedtests (boring and not something I do normally, i'm not obsessed) yet if I start some Usenet downloads off for a bit I can sit and watch the speed drop, then stop the download and retest and...

1Mbps speed this evening sooooo 3 options as far as I can see:

1. Fault my end, unlikely as fault has existed with 3 different routers
2. Fault on BT side
3. Some kind of traffic shaping - I know it's a dirty phrase and i'm not slinging accusations but that's what it looks like i'm NOT saying it's AA doing it but it's what i've seen in the past with other connections on less reputable ISPs when throttling kicks in.

Y'know I pay the local football team for the feed for the commentary during matches (from the BBC but it's pulled during matches unless you pay) so it's a commerical service and even that was struggling, with nothing else going on a simple radio feed was almost unlistenable on an 8Mbps line with 7150Kbps IP profile.

I've just started work on the Census 2011 and will need the connection for VPN access so i'm starting to get really concerned about this now.

Can someone please escalate this as I seem to have to keep chasing the ticket, when AA went off to BT with the speedtest results I was promised a return email with an update that never materialised until I sent another email asking.

8Mb sync
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Rich44
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Feb-11 21:57:58
Print Post

Testing new sig

8Mb sync
My Broadband Speed Test
(isp) Sun 20-Feb-11 09:39:37
Print Post

PM me the support ticket and I will look into this myself

Andrews & Arnold
Standard User bacupian
(newbie) Sun 20-Feb-11 11:13:30
Print Post

Your speed tests would indicate there is no problem.

I'm on 20CN and was on an 8Mbit connection but the service was unusable
sometimes with 5Mbit downloads but sometimes with bras rate going down
to the minimum with downloads timing out and bras rate then only
increasing very slowly so my average download speed was way below
what I had on 512kbit.

I was put back to 2Mbit connection and now the speed tests mostly show
2Mbit. Download speeds from the internet are anything up to 2Mbit but
I have no control of the remote host and number or downloads supported
at any one time. eg. my own servers can only manage about 250kbit total
divided by number of simultaneous downloads.

There is one option which you missed and your conclusion that a fault
is not at your end because it exists with 3 different routers only shows
that the routers are unlikely to be at fault.

What operating system are you using?

Are there any background downloads taking place?

Are you using a wireless hub that can be hijacked?

Have you checked your router stats to confirm your traffic levels
during slow downloads?

David
Standard User Rich44
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Feb-11 17:08:40
Print Post

[re: bacupian] [link to this post]

Thank you for the post David but you think that 1.4Mb on an 8Mbps sync is "normal" do you LMAO stroll on. As i've also said BRAS is irrelevant it's always been 7150 so it's nothing to do with that. for about 3 years I had this line and this NEVER happened it's only been happening over the past 18 months/2 years on/off and with different ISPs so I'm fairly sure it's not AA itself.

As for the speedtests those are BT speedtests not 3rd party ones, nor solely TBB speedtests either. Again your supposition about servers being able to support speeds etc is again irrelevant it's the BT speedtester nothing to do with what other servers can support. Usenet is provided by Giganews and speeds drop inline with the speedtests.

I'd like to know what fault you think could be at my end with no internal wiring, no sky plugged into the line, only master socket in use.

Look I really hate willy waving but I will say I work in the IT industry so generally like to think I know what i'm talking about.

Wireless is secured, very rural no one else nearby to hack it either.
No background downloads, I don't use Windows auto updates it's evil.

If you read the earlier post this is just the latest symptom of a long running fault that BT have never been able to pin down sadly.

I'll say it again it's the BT speedtester returning those speedtest results nothing else. I'm not saying it's not something here but the historic faults of traffic just stopping for no reason, PPP up and obviously Sync no line drop but no traffic this happened on/off for 2 years BT don't have a clue like I said a barrage of routers/filters changed over time but it's intermittant all BT did was send an engineer out who tested it then and said NFF (this was before I came to AAISP so not their fault)

8Mb sync
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User bacupian
(newbie) Mon 21-Feb-11 11:10:48
Print Post

I had a fault on my line accepted by BT when my router was setup to
login to BT rather than AAISP and the BT speedtest showed full rate
then when logged in to AAISP the speed was slow. This was confirmed
with both my own system and BT engineers modem/laptop.

BT claimed it was an AAISP fault but it was actually the equipment at
the exchange that was either faulty or had been swapped out. After the
fault was diagnosed it was several months before it was fixed.

David
Standard User Rich44
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Feb-11 19:19:07
Print Post

Just to update the thread i've had a few emails keeping me updated frmo AA, apparently this is with BT's "Complex faults" team, well that's a start I suppose. Complex because BT don't have a clue perhaps??

lol

8Mb sync
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Rich44
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Feb-11 17:14:16
Print Post

Well after many many claims from BT or nothings wrong our systems show green they now say the exchnage is overloaded every VP is full and they need to install an additional DSLAM but not until June (31/5/2011)

I'd like to know if you have an 8Mb sync and your line keeps running as low as 1Mb what come back there is on that. I know it's a contended service but THAT contended? So contended that on a Saturday afternoon a simple radio stream is unusable?

AA have gone back to BT and asked if they can get this sorted out sooner but with what BT said previously and the fact that the date is a long way off personally I think they thought nothing was wrong and they've now looked and gone oh [censored] and hastilly scheduled a visit, otherwise surely when AA would have been going to them previously they would have seen work was scheduled?

Smacks of BT covering it's ass as usual, very very annoyed and shall be passing the details on to our local parish councils as i'm sure they will be extremely annoyed with this as well

8Mb sync
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User bacupian
(newbie) Sat 26-Feb-11 10:36:26
Print Post

My house is about a half mile from exchange but my line routes
several hundred yards further up the road to junction box, then about
50-100yd to a pole and then back to my house overhead. Add to that
I suspect aluminium wiring in duct from exchange. During trial with
8Meg adsl I had over 7Mbit downloads but then BRAS rate was
repeatedly cut and ended up at 160kbit which I believe is the lowest it
goes. Even so my download rate dropped to zero bps before BRAS
started increasing again and hit 5Mbit. This cycle was repeated
several times over about 4 months and I downgraded to 2Mbit which
gives about 250kbit upload and reliable 2Mbit download.

Upload rate was initially only about 120-150kbit but I now have
traffic shaping enabled which gives reliable 250kbit uploads which is
just less than maximum for the service.

David
Standard User Rich44
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Feb-11 12:34:51
Print Post

[re: bacupian] [link to this post]

eh? What's that got to do with an overloaded exchange with all VPs maxed out, I don't get it?

8Mb sync
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Rich44
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Feb-11 15:08:06
Print Post

Wow I just had a "dleightful" conversation with Ian Livingston who was quite abrupt and rude about the matter. Ok I was taking the pee but if BT are going to take the pee out of me by blaming their faults on ME then i'm going to go to them about it.

Unbelievable.

Made it quite clear AA had nothing to do with me going to him as well as don't want AA getting in trouble when they have been very very helpful.

can you complain to OFCOM about BTs activities at a Tier 1 exchange? Just wondering who if anyone monitors BTs activities under these circumstances and whether they are providing the service which we (via our ISPs) are paying for.

I'm absolutely disgusted with BT they have reached a new low in my eyes and I didn't think that was possible from the dealings i've had with them in the past!!

8Mb sync
My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Rich44 (Sat 26-Feb-11 15:09:57)

Standard User bacupian
(newbie) Sun 27-Feb-11 10:24:05
Print Post

I don't know what actions BT take at any particular exchange. They
could reduce BRAS rate to even out the load or just have a lot of
contention with extra latency and packet loss.

What do your CQM graphs indicate is happening?

David
Standard User Rich44
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Mar-11 08:44:50
Print Post

and on it rumbles, despite BT claiming to have "found" some capacity on another VP and to move me to it I am now capped to 2Mbps 24/7 - Brilliant!!

BT speedtester now doesn't work either I get

Authorisation failed Incorrect Telephone Number - Please try again

Brilliant so I am now being throttled 24/7 and they've now nobbled pretty much the only source of speedtests that they'll accept as "evidence"

FGS you couldn't make it up could you

8Mb sync
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User huwwatkins
(regular) Tue 08-Mar-11 08:52:16
Print Post

I was having similar speed problems on a market 1 exchange - specifically exchange congestion. Decided to regrade to adsl max premium after getting no where with BT and hoping that the traffic prioratisation would help. Speeds on a sunday evening went from 500-800k to more like 5000+. I still can't beleive how different it is! I figured that if it didnt make any difference I could always regrade back down!
Standard User Rich44
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Mar-11 09:00:45
Print Post

[re: huwwatkins] [link to this post]

It's a thought, thanks but it really bugs me to have to pay extra just to get the service i'm paying for now and really resent giving BTW any more of my money to get over their incompetence as I fell like i'd be rewarding them.

Why is there no system in place to punish BTW when they behave like this? What a farce, what makes it worse is they seem to refuse to release the information that the VPs are hot even to their staff. The various checkers still show green here despite the state of things, how many exchanges are in this state but the ISPs get the blame or people get their equipment blamed and give up?

What a joke

8Mb sync
My Broadband Speed Test
Slower & slower every day

Edited by Rich44 (Tue 08-Mar-11 09:01:03)

Standard User Rich44
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Mar-11 17:16:12
Print Post

[re: huwwatkins] [link to this post]

Well apart from a quick email earlier don't think anyone has looked at the ticket at all today so in total and utter despair have placed the upgrade order and hope to god it works, nice little scam BT have there innit

8Mb sync
My Broadband Speed Test
Slower & slower every day
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to