User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Matchstick
(member) Mon 04-Apr-11 12:50:56
Print Post

Re: 20CN Down??

[re: Wagstaff] [link to this post]

VM cable is another way to avoid any BT involvement in your network connection if you happen to be in an area they cover.

The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic
Standard User Wagstaff
(member) Mon 04-Apr-11 14:36:24
Print Post

[re: Matchstick] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Matchstick:
VM cable is another way to avoid any BT involvement in your network connection if you happen to be in an area they cover.

But don't Virgin Media use BT underground trunking to run their cable ? And how does the cable network connect to the Internet ?

Wagstaff

"A fact can trump the ace of hunches"
Standard User Matchstick
(member) Mon 04-Apr-11 15:28:35
Print Post

[re: Wagstaff] [link to this post]

I *THINK* (emphasis on "think" and I sit ready to be corrected) that VM use their own ducting which is why, when OFCOM suggested that BT should open their ducting up to 3rd parties, BT wanted the same rules to be applied to VM.

As for the VM's network architecture, I think the copper cable connects to fibre in seperate cabs from the BT LLU ones and the fibre then routes back to their own bases where it connect to the wider internet.

If that is the case I don't think the data would ever enter the BT network at any point.

The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic

Edited by Matchstick (Mon 04-Apr-11 15:29:33)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pete_thomson
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 05-Apr-11 12:37:45
Print Post

[re: Matchstick] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Matchstick:
I *THINK* (emphasis on "think" and I sit ready to be corrected) that VM use their own ducting which is why, when OFCOM suggested that BT should open their ducting up to 3rd parties, BT wanted the same rules to be applied to VM.

As for the VM's network architecture, I think the copper cable connects to fibre in seperate cabs from the BT LLU ones and the fibre then routes back to their own bases where it connect to the wider internet.

If that is the case I don't think the data would ever enter the BT network at any point.

Pretty much spot on.

Virgin Media 50Mb/s
50.56Mb/s - 1.63Mb/s - 26ms @ 04/12/2009
http://www.speedtest.net/result/641806789.png
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to