User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Matchstick
(member) Thu 16-Jun-11 19:01:49
Print Post

Re: AAISP: Does what it says on the tin

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

It's worth pointing out that those bandwidth per unit figures are for 21CN lines.

If you are one of the unfortunates on an exchange where BT haven't been bothered to upgrade to WBC then 1 unit is worth 1Gb of bandwidth at peak time and 50Gb off-peak on 20CN lines.

http://www.aaisp.net.uk/broadband-units.html

The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic
Standard User asylum_seeker
(learned) Thu 16-Jun-11 19:43:30
Print Post

[re: ARD] [link to this post]

Whilst i agree that AAISP are a brilliant ISP, they still have to reply on BT infrastructure for their ip-stream connections. Sure, for line faults they can kick BT's ass & make them do something about it but if an exchange is heavily congested come tea time (like most exchanges up and down the country) there is jack all AAISP or any other ISP can do. LLU ADSL2+ and LLU based FTTC/P connections are the only way forward smile

(experienced) Thu 16-Jun-11 22:44:15
Print Post

[re: asylum_seeker] [link to this post]

Well, not -entirely- true.

They can swap lines onto using the BE backhaul network, which means the only thing left related to BT in anyway is the landline. However, if you check their website, this is considerably more expensive than going through the BT backhaul, though you do get the ability to transfer more for your 2 units a month.

So this is an option I can take, should BT have too much contention etc at the exchange and I end up getting poor speeds (I do get slow downs during the evenings, but it is managable). Though, like many others, I'm waiting for FTTC, so for the moment, I'm happy to stay put.

Now on <aaisp.net>
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Jun-11 23:37:31
Print Post

http://aaisp.net.uk/broadband-BE.html

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
(learned) Fri 17-Jun-11 00:44:06
Print Post

Surely AAISP will only put you on the BE backhaul if you have BE LLU at your exchange? In that case i would presume it makes more financial sense to do direct with BE LLU for higher download limits at a lower price. Or can AAISP put you on BE backhaul even if you don't have BE LLU (or any other LLU) provider at your exchange?

(experienced) Fri 17-Jun-11 07:28:10
Print Post

Yes, BE has to be at your exchange for this to work (obviously).

BE+AA is much more expensive than going direct with BE, but so what? As a consumer, you'll pick what one to go with and know what you're buying. AA offer more 'raw' services than BE (line monitoring, IPv6 to name a few) and they are more a niche ISP, so for them to be more expensive using BE doesn't really surprise me. If you're just after a plane stable vanilla connection, I agree, most people would go direct with BE, and there's nothing wrong with that (BE are very good, I have used them before).

Now on <aaisp.net>
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?
Standard User Rich44
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 17-Jun-11 08:02:04
Print Post

errr my exchange is heavily congested BT announced a fix (after denying any problem for 2/3 months or so and driving me mad) the fix was to be done 4 months later.

The number of times AA went back to BT and kick their ass was unbelievable and after many rejects from BT they admitted responsibility and AA pressured BT into finding a less crowded VP until the fix was done. I'm guessing a less crowded VP was down to throttling down BT customers given BT were adamant that there was no free capacity anywhere but that's just my idle guesswork lol

8Mb sync
My Broadband Speed Test
(learned) Fri 17-Jun-11 19:59:58
Print Post

Thanks for the clarification Mixt but my original point is still valid: those people who join AAISP on a BT 20CN ipstream service and who do not have any other LLU DSLAM at their exchange are still at BT's mercy when it comes to exchange congestion. Perhaps if every user on such an exchange was with AAISP, then maybe AAISP could sway BT into increasing capacity but that's highly unlikely. Going direct with LLU providers or using their backhaul via niche ISPs like AAISP or Goscomb is the only way to avoid congestion at your exchange smile

Edited by asylum_seeker (Fri 17-Jun-11 20:03:25)

Standard User Rich44
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 17-Jun-11 21:30:09
Print Post

Errr did you read my post about what happened in that scenario? AA were extremely effective in sorting the problem out

8Mb sync
My Broadband Speed Test
ISP Representative RevK
(isp) Sat 14-Jan-12 13:49:44
Print Post

[re: Rich44] [link to this post]

We do a lot to monitor congestion in the BT back-haul and get BT to fix it. We correlate exchanges and BRASs to find common loss and latency issues and identify them quickly. We report and chase all core issues with the relevant teams in BT and escalate if nothing is done. There have been major issues within BT's network which have been fixed as a result of our diagnostics and monitoring - with BT management even including our graphs in reports to BT directors - this is why we make the data available to BT's core network engineers.

Lately, we have even been testing ways to get more priority on 20CN back-haul using different PPP packet types - anything to get better performance for our customers!

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to