User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dspillett
(committed) Wed 05-Oct-11 01:02:31
Print Post

Re: New usage allowances and prices from November

[re: andrewhearn] [link to this post]

Aye, I neglected to post here that I noticed it had arrived an hour or two after my post here. It may even have been winging its way over as I was typing.

--------------------------------------------------------
Current ISP: Andrews & Arnold (AAISP, aa.net.uk) via FTTC at ~36Mbit down & ~10Mbit up, joined July 2011.
Previous setup: Be Pro with UploadPlus (ADSL2+, AnnexM), 12ish Mbit down, 1.6 up, happy customer for ~2.5 years.
Standard User dspillett
(committed) Wed 05-Oct-11 01:20:21
Print Post

When I say I noticed, I don't mean prolonged issues or noticeable packet loss.

I'll keep the reports page booked with my other status report links though. I do like to know what is going on even when I have no power to affect things when there are issues.

The changes may result in me needing to add an extra unit to my regular amount (I'll see how next month goes when the new rates kick in) though I'm pretty sure I can arrange for that to not be necessary.

I can imagine you losing quite a few home-user accounts off the back of these changes, though I'm erring on the side of sticking around myself.

Current ISP: Andrews & Arnold (AAISP, aa.net.uk) via FTTC at ~36Mbit down & ~10Mbit up, joined July 2011.
Previous setup: Be Pro with UploadPlus (ADSL2+, AnnexM), 12ish Mbit down, 1.6 up, happy customer for ~2.5 years.
Standard User MattJessop
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Oct-11 08:18:07
Print Post

I havent seen an e-mail about this, just checked.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pete_thomson
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Oct-11 21:43:50
Print Post

[re: MattJessop] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MattJessop:
I havent seen an e-mail about this, just checked.

Tells you on clueless if you were sent it..

"3 Oct 16:02:24 Emailed [email protected] re Broadband Usage Tariff Chanů [email protected]"

Was
Virgin Media 50Mb/s
53.34Mb/s - 1.65Mb/s - 29ms @ 24/05/2011
http://speedtest.net/result/1310626245.png

Now
Andrews & Arnold
5.66Mb/s - 0.75Mb/s - 42ms
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1526709410.png
Standard User shedboy79
(newbie) Tue 25-Oct-11 07:44:01
Print Post

[re: pete_thomson] [link to this post]

im not sure about all this technical jargon but i was on the 2gb/100gb package so my off night peak allowance getting cut down to 50gb ??

if this is the case time to move on i think frown
Standard User dspillett
(committed) Wed 26-Oct-11 11:26:36
Print Post

[re: shedboy79] [link to this post]

It doesn't *quite* work that way, you don't have a fixed 2G peak quota and a fixed 100G off-peak one. If you use less in peak time, you get a lot more off-peak (so you could currently use 1G peak and 150G off-peak with that number of units).

If you are on a 20CN line then nothing changes anyway.

If you are on a 21CN line (including FTTC) then peak time will start calling off units at 1==2.5Gb instead of 1=2Gb and off-peak will go from 100Gb/unit to 50Gb/unit. It isn't a straight 2.5G+50G though - if you only use 1.0G during week-day days in the month you'll have 1.6 units to use off-peak (80Gb if all used in "normal" off-peak, more if some is used on the over-night cheaper period which is staying at 1000G/unit).

Login to clueless and check the details for you use pattern this month and last couple, that will help you deduce if the change is going to affect you significantly. I have three units now and might need to push that up to four (moving a couple of scheduled transfers into the overnight cheap period means I won't need to go further than that). If you do want to move and are in a fixed contract period, you may want to decide quickly as they are currently waiving early exit fees for people leaving due to the pricing changes.

Edited by dspillett (Wed 26-Oct-11 13:32:25)

Standard User Lazza
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 26-Oct-11 13:00:37
Print Post

[re: dspillett] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dspillett:
It doesn't *quite* work that way, you don't have a fixed 2G peak quota and a fixed 100G off-peak one. If you use less in peak time, you get a lot more off-peak (so you could currently use 1G peak and 150G off-peak with that number of units).

If you are on a 20CN line then nothing changes anyway........

Actually it does, and for the better too! smile

From November 1st 20CN customers will now get *1.25 GB* per unit for peak useage. Not seen anything about this here but it is on the AAISP site and confirmed by them over the phone too.

Found link finally:- http://aa.net.uk/news-2011-10.html

Last line in "What Is Changing Exactly".

Edited by Lazza (Wed 26-Oct-11 13:03:55)

Standard User ionic
(experienced) Wed 26-Oct-11 13:21:21
Print Post

[re: Lazza] [link to this post]

Ooh! I can knock a few units off our 20CN site then!
Standard User shedboy79
(newbie) Wed 26-Oct-11 13:55:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by andrewhearn:
In reply to a post by dspillett:
Would have been nice to be emailed about it (just had a scan through my mail for the last month and I can't see anything).

Just to let you know, we emailed customers that would be affected by this change yesterday afternoon.

Hi Andrew

i am on 20cn and i get 2gig peak and 100gig off peak, will my package change ??

it all seems quite complicated

Many Thanks
Standard User pete_thomson
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 26-Oct-11 16:43:47
Print Post

[re: shedboy79] [link to this post]

It's not complicated at all.

You dont get "2GB peak" and "100off peak", you get x number of units and each unit is worth x amount of bandwidth peak and x amount off peak.

However, if you say you have 2GB peak and 100GB off peak I assume you mean you pay for 4 units (2 units peak @ 1GB/unit = 2GB and 2 units off peak @50GB/unit = 100GB) and you will now get 2.5GB peak and 100GB offpeak.

Was
Virgin Media 50Mb/s
53.34Mb/s - 1.65Mb/s - 29ms @ 24/05/2011
http://speedtest.net/result/1310626245.png

Now
Andrews & Arnold
5.66Mb/s - 0.75Mb/s - 42ms
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1526709410.png
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to