User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 14-Jul-12 20:40:27
Print Post

Migrating in

[link to this post]

I'm thinking about moving from my current ISP and am looking around the market, I'm currently on an 80/20Mbps FTTC connection.

I assume that a move to AAISP would be a straightforward migration using a MAC, hence just the £1 fee and no installation cost?

Also, I assume that to retain the 80/20 connection I would have to take the Premium option? If I elected not to take it, would there be any cost involved in dropping back to 40/10Mbps? (I'm only getting about 60Mbps atm, and it's sure not going to increase as my cabinet gets fuller!)

I'd guess that it would also be subject to the 12 month contract that normally goes with FTTC?

If there's anything else that it's important that I know, please don't hesitate to tell me smile

Bill
[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-Jul-12 22:41:48
Print Post

Re: Migrating in

[re: billford] [link to this post]

http://aa.net.uk/broadband-FC.html says £100.

I think the price you're quoting is for ADSL services..

http://aa.net.uk/broadband-prices-full.html
"Cost for migrating ADSL broadband to us (BT or BE) from another non-LLU provider."

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 14-Jul-12 22:52:52
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Yes, I saw that, but £100 is also the cost of a full FTTC install- first row in your first link:
Normal install price of new service and changing from existing no FTTC service

I know AAISP aren't cheap, but charging the same price for a like-to-like migration seems frankly excessive... so my hope was that there are simply some inconsistencies in their website price lists.

I'll wait to see what someone from the company says.

Bill
[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM

Edited by billford (Sat 14-Jul-12 23:05:37)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bubieyehyeh
(member) Sun 15-Jul-12 21:05:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
Yes, I saw that, but £100 is also the cost of a full FTTC install- first row in your first link:

I know AAISP aren't cheap, but charging the same price for a like-to-like migration seems frankly excessive... so my hope was that there are simply some inconsistencies in their website price lists.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the FTTC install and FTTC-FTTC migration costs from BT were the same.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sun 15-Jul-12 21:19:16
Print Post

[re: bubieyehyeh] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bubieyehyeh:
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the FTTC install and FTTC-FTTC migration costs from BT were the same.
I've done a bit of rooting around and it seems like you may be right frown

I still think it's excessive, but at least I now know who's to blame mad

Bill
Standard User colesy10
(regular) Mon 16-Jul-12 13:16:23
Print Post

When I migrated from a FTTC supplier to AAISP on FTTC, my fee was £1. No new installation fee.
This may have changed since, it was back last year around April-May.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 16-Jul-12 13:31:36
Print Post

[re: colesy10] [link to this post]

That cheers me up a little, thanks smile

Need a rep from AAISP to confirm/answer what I raised in the OP...

Bill
Standard User CJT
(committed) Mon 16-Jul-12 13:52:01
Print Post

I guess you could Tweet them if you are on Twitter: https://twitter.com/aaisp

CJT.

tongue

ON BT Total Broadband .

My Broadband Speed Test

[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/986285088.png[/IMG]
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 16-Jul-12 14:04:48
Print Post

[re: CJT] [link to this post]

I'm not on Twitter... or any other "social network" come to that smile

There's no hurry, I won't be doing anything for some weeks at least- I'm just scouting out the territory.

Bill
ISP Representative GlennAAISP
(isp) Tue 17-Jul-12 09:56:19
Print Post

Hi

FTTC migration in is £100

As said if wanting the 80/20 you would need the premium option.

If you wanted to drop back to 40/10 as you moved in there would be no extra just just the £100 fee.

There will be a 12 month contract.

Migration should be simple and is 5 to 10 days but we do enter a 5 day lead time.

Kind Regards Glenn Richardson
ADSL Manager/Senior Technical Support

Andrews & Arnold Ltd http://aa.net.uk
Tel: 03333 400000
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 17-Jul-12 10:27:45
Print Post

[re: GlennAAISP] [link to this post]

That's not the news I was hoping to hear about the migration fee, though having done a little more research since my OP it wasn't unexpected frown

Thanks for the information.

Bill
Standard User partial
(regular) Tue 17-Jul-12 20:39:43
Print Post

[re: bubieyehyeh] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bubieyehyeh:

Migrations are £50 plus VAT whereas install charges are £75 - £80 plus VAT depending on product speed according to the Openreach pricelist.

Edited by partial (Tue 17-Jul-12 20:46:08)

Standard User stuorguk
(member) Thu 19-Jul-12 13:51:23
Print Post

Do you know how much data you use between 9am to 6pm weekdays (inc Bank Holidays)? Do the math to avoid any surprises.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 19-Jul-12 14:36:18
Print Post

[re: stuorguk] [link to this post]

Yes, I've looked in to that- historically my usage is pretty low, ~15GB/month spread fairly evenly from 9am to midnight, which is my current ISP's (IDNet) peak hours period.

Trouble is, although the total monthly allowance is 150GB, it's only 30GB during peak hours which apply 7 days a week. Although it seems niggardly at first sight it's aimed at a particular customer profile- those whose main priority is low and consistent latency and can schedule their bulk traffic for the small hours.

Because I'm a light user it's suited me fine, but I want to make more use of the on-demand services in future and, although the allowances are likely to be reviewed when the Olympics are out of the way, I don't think the off-peak hours will change and my usage pattern will become an increasingly poor fit with their target customer profile. So I'm looking around, just in case.

I'd start with a basic 2 units peak, 1 unit off-peak and see how it goes. I may have to modify my daytime usage a bit (AAISP's hourly stats will be useful there) and I suspect I'd end up buying a second off-peak unit, but even that comes to less than £40/month, it would be over £100 with IDNet if I used it all shocked

I've been with IDNet for about 7 years of really excellent service and I'll be very sorry to leave (assuming I do), but needs must...

Bill

Edited by billford (Thu 19-Jul-12 14:41:27)

Standard User dspillett
(committed) Thu 19-Jul-12 16:04:06
Print Post

Just to note: you don't specifically buy peak and off-peak units, just a total and they are called off by any use. So if you use less peak bandwidth in a given month, you can make up the difference with off-peak use, and vice versa. You'd buy three units, not two peak and one off-peak (the calculator on the website displays it that way as it needs to ask you for the two figures, not because the bandwidth use comes out of two separate pots). You could use 1 peak and 2 off this month, 1.5p/1.5o next, 0.3p/2.7o the next, and so on. If you only use a total of, say, 2.2 this month, the extra 0.8 gets added to next month's quota.

It is effectively counted to the granularity of a byte. A 1000 bytes downloaded uses 0.0000004 units in peak time, 0.00000002 off peak, and 0.000000001 in the really cheap bit between 0200 and 0600 (I've worked those figures out in millions not 1024*1024, they might be counting in GiB not GB (I've not checked) in which case it is ~4.8% better: 0.0000003814697265625/byte rather than 0.0000004 in peak time for example). As with idnet, upstream bandwidth is not currently counted against anything.

If you use very little bandwidth in the working day period on weekdays, as is my case, this works out cheap compared to some other ISPs offerings. And in those months where i do need a chunk more daytime bandwidth the flexibility (units being generic, the month-to-month carry-over/-under) means I don't really have to worry about it. If you regularly use a lot of daytime bandwidth, it can work out quite expensive of course.

--------------------------------------------------------
Current Line: Andrews & Arnold (AAISP) via 80/20 FTTC, getting close to the full rate both ways, joined July 2011, upgraded from 40/10 to 80/20 May 2012.
Previous setup: Be Pro with UploadPlus (ADSL2+, AnnexM), 12ish Mbit down, 1.6 up, happy customer for ~2.5 years.

Edited by dspillett (Thu 19-Jul-12 20:36:20)

Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 19-Jul-12 16:58:43
Print Post

[re: dspillett] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dspillett:
Just to note: you don't specifically buy peak and off-peak units, just a total and they are called off by any use.
Yes, I realise that, but I wanted to keep it simple- I didn't want it to turn into a treatise on all the possibilities, which would probably have exceeded what (I think) is the 64KB limit on post length tongue

But thanks for the detailed explanation- it confirms how I thought it worked, which is always nice smile.

There's fair bit of uncertainty about my "daytime" use (I'm retired so can be online at any time), IDNet only provide stats for daily figures so it's a bit of a guess on my part. That's why I'll find the hourly stats very useful, and why I suspect I may end up buying an extra unit for a bit of extra flexibility.

Hadn't thought of the GB/GiB differences... maybe an AAISP rep could clarify when they see this?

(I should probably add that AAISP aren't alone on my shortlist- Goscomb Technologies are in the running, and Zen will be if they implement IPv6 before I have to make a decision!)

Bill
Standard User dspillett
(committed) Thu 19-Jul-12 20:35:48
Print Post

Looking at the figures on the control panel they are counting in "real" comms/engineering/scientist numbers (1G = 1,000,000,000) rather then programmer's measurements (1G = 1024*1024*1024).

And my numbers above were 1000 out - I've updated them accordingly.

For what it is worth I know a couple of people who are with Zen, Neither of them are heavy users, but they've been happy with the reliability of the service. I joined A&A in part due to good experiences reported by other people, and I've been very happy here thus far.

Current Line: Andrews & Arnold (AAISP) via 80/20 FTTC, getting close to the full rate both ways, joined July 2011, upgraded from 40/10 to 80/20 May 2012.
Previous setup: Be Pro with UploadPlus (ADSL2+, AnnexM), 12ish Mbit down, 1.6 up, happy customer for ~2.5 years.

Edited by dspillett (Thu 19-Jul-12 20:38:40)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 19-Jul-12 22:37:15
Print Post

NetWorX gives you hourly usage.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 19-Jul-12 22:52:03
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jelv:
NetWorX gives you hourly usage.
Not on a Mac it doesn't tongue

But thanks for the thought.

Bill
Standard User stuorguk
(member) Fri 20-Jul-12 14:43:19
Print Post

Peek internet usage is around 9-10pm in the UK, so you would expect that to be the expensive time, yet Openreach wholesale prices are the same whatever time of the day or night. Doesn't seem to make much sense.
Standard User dspillett
(committed) Fri 20-Jul-12 16:39:27
Print Post

A&A's peak time doesn't relate to anything set by BT - if I'm reading between the lines right it is about keeping their network and peering arrangements underutilised during the normal working day so there is plenty of spare capacity should it be needed by a jump in demand from office users (particularly those on nice fast, expensive, officially uncontended, SLA-backed leased lines).

Standard User xela
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 20-Jul-12 18:44:37
Print Post

BT wholesale don't charge for data transfer; instead they charge for capacity.

An analogy: you pay for the number of lanes on your motorway, not the number of cars on it

AAISP buy wholesale services in terms of capacity and sell it on to users in terms of data transfer. In order to use their limited capacity more efficiently, they vary the charge for data transfer depending on the time of day so as to encourage users not to do everything at peak times.

Back to the analogy: you don't want everyone to travel at rush hour unless it's really necessary

As for 9-10pm being peak time, this depends on your users. AAISP's are predominantly businesses and day time tends to be their heaviest time. (At least, I think this is still the case for AAISP.)

Edited by xela (Fri 20-Jul-12 18:46:06)

Standard User stuorguk
(member) Fri 20-Jul-12 20:46:51
Print Post

[re: xela] [link to this post]

It may have been true in the past, but I read AAISP's peek is around 10pm now. Same as other mainstream ISPs.

Edited by stuorguk (Sat 21-Jul-12 01:11:05)

Standard User pete_thomson
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 23-Jul-12 22:39:14
Print Post

AAISP changed prices/usage per unit back in Nov last year as a result of the shift in usage patterns of their customers. They did indeed used to be a primary business ISP but with more non-business users they have had to redress the balance with the changes

http://aaisp.net.uk/news-2011-10.html

Was
Virgin Media 50Mb/s
53.34Mb/s - 1.65Mb/s - 29ms @ 24/05/2011
http://speedtest.net/result/1310626245.png

Now
Andrews & Arnold
3.48Mb/s - 0.91Mb/s - 27ms
http://speedtest.net/result/1940826652.png
Standard User Northwind
(learned) Wed 25-Jul-12 09:18:39
Print Post

(I should probably add that AAISP aren't alone on my shortlist- Goscomb Technologies are in the running, and Zen will be if they implement IPv6 before I have to make a decision!)

Hi Bill - I may be too late in following-up, but I moved from A&A to Goscomb in November last year as a result of the A&A price increases, increasing difficulty of controlling daytime usage ( running my own server ) and some niggles around customer support.

I was anxious about Goscomb because they are mainly a business connectivity provider but their customer service has been exemplary and they have been very professional in investigating any queries, even rather technical ones; they do read what I write and answer appropriately. Highly recommended.

Yes, native IPv6 works right out of the gate. They didn't have a v6 white-listing agreement with Google but as of June this year that's no longer a problem, all Google v6-hosted services such as YouTube are open to all v6 users.

And from the packets reaching my router it is apparent that they also support IPv4 multicast if you fancy playing with that!

Downside: they are rather pricey, particularly for the unmetered packages. And since their MD doesn't write a public blog it's not very clear what their plans and aspirations are, but on the other hand that also means I'm not exasperated quite as often...

--
Goscomb ( BE Wholesale ), Exchange NINTS
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 25-Jul-12 10:00:19
Print Post

[re: Northwind] [link to this post]

The problem with recommendations is that they don't always make coming to a decision any easier tongue

But thanks smile

Bill
Standard User dspillett
(committed) Thu 26-Jul-12 14:25:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by stuorguk:
It may have been true in the past, but I read AAISP's peek is around 10pm now. Same as other mainstream ISPs.

I expect the peak bandwidth use for ADSL and FTTC will be shortly after 0200: when many automated transfers start (or become throttled) to make use of the really cheap part of the day (1000G/unit instead of 50 (off peak) or 2.5 or less (normal office working day times).

I suspect the general peak ignoring the 0200-0600 slot will be somewhere between 1900 and 2300 - when people are home from work, have had their evening meal, and are using things like iPlayer and tv/film streaming services.

For the customers with leased lines (which IIRC are SLA backed with regard to the bandwidth being available) will be during the day at some time as said customers will be business users.

Standard User stuorguk
(member) Thu 26-Jul-12 15:06:19
Print Post

Linx Stats are quite telling. Peak is 9-10pm. The BBC said their iPlayer peak was the same.
In the US, Netflix accounts for about 30% of traffic at peak periods. Look at Linx stats when Netflix UK started around the beginning of the year. It went up quite a bit in a few months.

IPTV is going to drive bandwidth usage up a lot more in the next few years. When you think that Netflix streams at 9Mb/s in HD, thats a lot of bandwidth. Its starting to put ISPs like AAISP completely out of reach for domestic consumers.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to