User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sun 26-Jul-15 00:14:58
Print Post

Re: Any news on new packages?

[re: arobertson545] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by arobertson545:
AAISP is expensive, there's no way in getting around that.

If they offered service at a slight premium (emphasis on slight), I would probably switch in a heartbeat. They would also need to offer a landline service with anytime calls - don't really understand why they don't offer this to be honest.

With this I believe they'd attract far more customers which would make up any loss as a result of reduced package costs.
If they started attracting significant numbers of users shifting more data than the average users they'd face a significant increase in costs.

The sort of user they want are the ones like me - I've only once or twice gone over 50GB in a month, but I'd be prepared to pay a premium.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User arobertson545
(member) Sun 26-Jul-15 00:15:58
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

I would be prepared to pay a premium too but £70 a month is too much for anyone I would think.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 26-Jul-15 01:17:41
Print Post

If any of your usage is pure P2P or podcasts then their nighttime 1000GB per unit should help. The 1000GB is not a typo.

The Home::1 100GB is plenty for me.

Then there is the line-only rental at £10 available, with optional VOIP.

I've worked out I could move from my PN FTTC + BT line rental to AAISP + Pulse8broadband line rental for an extra £10pm. Sounds good to me.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57676/14040kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Sun 26-Jul-15 01:18:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I don't see any mention of 1000GB on the Home::1 plan?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 26-Jul-15 01:25:31
Print Post

http://www.aaisp.net/broadband-units.html

The units plan.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 26-Jul-15 01:26:17)

(member) Sun 26-Jul-15 11:11:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
http://www.aaisp.net/broadband-units.html

The units plan.

Even more outrageous cost then blush
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 27-Jul-15 09:07:05
Print Post

Yes, the "Night Time Special" rate (2am to 6am, every day) is only available on the units plan. They decided not to offer this special rate on the Home::1 plan, because they wanted to "keep things simple" for any customer opting to go with Home::1 (I read this on revk's blog). I personally find this disappointing - they could have offered unmetered usage during these hours on the Home::1 plan - that would have at least been some what useful to folk.

The units based tariff is dangerous. I was fully aware of the kind of antics that could trip me up on such a plan (I was on it for 2 years) eg. Windows decides it's going to perform a 250Mb update during peak time, which then knocks out a chunk of your units for the rest of the month. Not cool at all. I had to artificially limit my download speed during peak hours to mitigate this happening, and over all, managed to control my unit usage fairly well, but ended up jumping to Zen where I am now paying slightly cheaper for unlimited usage plus a line that supports making calls.

I guess AA have no intention in competing with large ISPs (like the Zens, Plusnets, BTs, TalkTalks, Skys of this industry). That's what makes them different. It's either A&A way, or the high way. I doubt they will budge on their package offerings without extremely good reason to do so.

Zen Unlimited Fibre | IPv6 via HE | » Automated Hourly HTTPx5 TBB Speed Tests «
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being blÝcked?

Edited by mixt (Mon 27-Jul-15 09:07:58)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 27-Jul-15 09:28:22
Print Post

The units plan isn't intended to be "inrageous" tongue.

It's an extreme version of ye olde low daytime high evening and night's allowance packages for people out at work all day. Capacity geared to daytime business use and near-empty at nights. Consumer broadband therefore almost free to the ISPs with a lot of business customers, so these packages worked, providing the ISPs with extra income to put towards the fixed costs of pre-WBC BT Centrals.

The internet world has moved on dramatically for both businesses and SOHO usage now. Hence the introduction of Home::1 and now the possible future products this thread is about.

Standard User Matchstick
(member) Mon 27-Jul-15 11:15:40
Print Post

In my case, someone who values the service that A&A provide compared to other, cheaper ISPs.

The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic
(member) Mon 27-Jul-15 11:16:25
Print Post

[re: Matchstick] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Matchstick:
In my case, someone who values the service that A&A provide compared to other, cheaper ISPs.

Do you seriously think the service is worth £80 a month?

I'm sure it's very good but it cannot be that good.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to