User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sun 23-Aug-15 15:27:57
Print Post

Re: Any news on new packages?

[re: stuorguk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by stuorguk:
In reply to a post by jelv:
I've NEVER gone above 60GB upload and download combined.

Is that 60GB daytime or night-time usage? For a 9-5 business, that's over £100 a month in just in data fees alone with AAISP.

In other words, if you watch Netflix in your 1-hour lunch break, that's £5 in HD, and £11 in UHD.
That's total usage 24x7 for the whole month - i.e. very, very comfortably within the home::1 allowance!

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User stuorguk
(member) Sun 23-Aug-15 15:35:04
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

That's total usage 24x7 for the whole month - i.e. very, very comfortably within the home::1 allowance!

I said business not home. Business rates are different. 100Gb is about £170 per month on data alone.

Edited by stuorguk (Sun 23-Aug-15 15:36:46)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sun 23-Aug-15 15:36:47
Print Post

It may come as a surprise to you, but I have a device in the corner of my lounge that can receive HD TV direct from Freesat and if I want to watch programs at different times I can record them.

Saying 60GB is unrealistic is an idiotic statement when I've posted to say that's the most I've ever used in a month - it is totally realistic to me!

jelv

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User stuorguk
(member) Sun 23-Aug-15 15:46:53
Print Post

It may come as a surprise to you, but I have a device in the corner of my lounge that can receive HD TV direct from Freesat and if I want to watch programs at different times I can record them.

Saying 60GB is unrealistic is an idiotic statement when I've posted to say that's the most I've ever used in a month - it is totally realistic to me!

How are you able to watch Netflix, Amazon prime and Youtube on Freesat? Where are you getting your 4K content from?

If you don't watch those things, then that's fine, but a lot of people do, so i fail to see how my statement is idiotic. If all you watch is Freesat, then 60GB is fine for you.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sun 23-Aug-15 15:52:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by stuorguk:
How are you able to watch Netflix, Amazon prime and Youtube on Freesat? Where are you getting your 4K content from?

If you don't watch those things, then that's fine, but a lot of people do, so i fail to see how my statement is idiotic. If all you watch is Freesat, then 60GB is fine for you.
I don't watch Netflix or Amazon prime. I do watch some Youtube on my PC which has why my usgae has increased so dramatically in the last year or so. Previously I'd typically be using 10-15GB per month, maybe 25GB in a really heavy month!

jelv

Standard User stuorguk
(member) Sun 23-Aug-15 16:04:19
Print Post

I do watch some Youtube on my PC which has why my usgae has increased so dramatically in the last year or so.

As a business, this is the problem. Like many businesses, we let our employees use the internet during their breaks, and these days, they watch YouTube, or the news on BBC iPlayer, or they bring their Netflix accounts in. Peoples expectations have changed. I cant give them all freesat boxes!

I was in China last year, and the company I was doing business with gave me a desk to work at for my time there. It was in the software development department, and at lunch time, almost everyone was watching video of some description.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 23-Aug-15 17:06:57
Print Post

[re: vimto_girl] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by vimto_girl:
It was RevK who said AAISP is cheaper than BT, and RobertoS who wondered if it might be true, I was just setting the record straight.
Pardon?

I pointed out that the link badger gave was to a somewhat out-of-date page, and that I was unable to find a standard price on the BT website to which the service would presumably revert without warning at the end of the initial 12 months.

No doubt it is present in a BT Price list somewhere, but I don't regard that as acceptable.
In my view, the typical user in 2015 wants unlimited data. 2014 Ofcom data from across providers shows a mean of 91GB usage per month for FTTC users and rising, and about a quarter of users exceed the mean.
I think "typical user" is a somewhat woolly term. The typical user hasn't any idea about anything to do with broadband except what they see in adverts. Of course "unlimited" will be chosen by the millions of them if there is no obvious cost penalty.

Very few are aware of ISPs outside the widely advertised ones, and any with children are unlikely to go for the low-allowance packages from BT and Sky.

( Incidentally we do see quite a few on these forums using Sky or BT with allowance packages, and requests for reasonably priced broadband excluding the big boys are not uncommon - specifying that they don't need unlimited).

Do Ofcom have any source other than samknows for this data do you know? I wonder how many of the millions of typical users have samknows monitors, and what proportion of those are on FTTC. I have always felt the samknows box holders are a self-selecting geek sample and very likely to be unrepresentative.

Maybe I'm wrong in that view. I don't know anyone with such equipment.

There may be some answers in this report, but there are a lot of composite apples and pears baskets there. The mere concept of an average speed across the UK is a nonsense.

I note they are hoping to improve their methodologies soon, but I gave up for now at Page 18.

In particular, I simply do not believe "a mean of 91GB usage per month for FTTC users and rising, and about a quarter of users exceed the mean" can be accurate.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Sun 23-Aug-15 18:08:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

For the mean data usage, Ofcom use data directly from BT, Sky, TalkTalk and KCOM on all the active lines they retail or wholesale. So it is exceptionally accurate and representative.

(Apologies if I misinterpreted your post on the prices. Because you said you couldn't find the standard BT price, I thought you couldn't be sure if it was more expensive or not. Seems you were making some other point though)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 23-Aug-15 18:31:16
Print Post

[re: vimto_girl] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by vimto_girl:
For the mean data usage, Ofcom use data directly from BT, Sky, TalkTalk and KCOM on all the active lines they retail or wholesale. So it is exceptionally accurate and representative.
Good lord!!!
(Apologies if I misinterpreted your post on the prices. Because you said you couldn't find the standard BT price, I thought you couldn't be sure if it was more expensive or not. Seems you were making some other point though)
Both smile. I'm sure any valid comparison would show AAISP to be more expensive like for like, barring a few special cases which are self-evidently not valid comparisons for the purpose.
Edit - typo.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 23-Aug-15 22:05:28)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 23-Aug-15 21:42:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Seen references to line data for average connection speeds but never seen them say providers supply per line data use.

If they do then mean, median and quartile data should be in the reports.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to