User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Wed 26-Aug-15 22:59:02
Print Post

Re: Any news on new packages?

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The trouble with publishing selective analyses of statistical data, such as "2014 Ofcom data from across providers shows a mean of 91GB usage per month for FTTC users and rising, and about a quarter of users exceed the mean" is that most people associate "the mean" with the mid-point of a Normal distribution.
Of course, silly me! I should have known most people on reading "a quarter of users exceed the mean" would understand this to mean half of users exceed the mean! And in a normal distribution, what else lol wink
Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Wed 26-Aug-15 23:04:24
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
The likes of BT can sell unlimited at their price point because they have millions of granny type users who use about 100kb a month.
Yep, all those grannies who flocked to sign up to unlimited FTTC right wink ? If AAISP lifted the lid I'd think the usage profile and mean or total usage would be broadly similar to BT FTTC.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 26-Aug-15 23:27:26
Print Post

[re: vimto_girl] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by vimto_girl:
Of course, silly me! I should have known most people on reading "a quarter of users exceed the mean" would understand this to mean half of users exceed the mean! And in a normal distribution, what else lol wink
Heh smile.

Try again. The mean is nothing to do with the number of users or values each side of it. So exactly the point I'm making. It isn't a normal distribution.

A simple numerical example. 10 users at 90GB and 30 users at 10GB.

What are the axes? Presumably the usage is the "y". What is the "x"?

Or is the number of users the "y"? Then the "x" becomes the usage?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 26-Aug-15 23:48:16)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Thu 27-Aug-15 06:00:52
Print Post

Itís straightforward and clear: the mean usage is 91GB and around a quarter of users exceed the mean.

It obviously isnít a normal distribution with 91GB at the midpoint if a quarter of users exceed 91GB ! So the point is: why on earth do you believe most people would think otherwise? It doesnít make any sense, people arenít that stupid.

(Far from hiding something by only specifying the mean, there is insight into the distribution that usefully answers the Q: Ďyes, but how many people actually used >91GB ?í)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 27-Aug-15 11:57:40
Print Post

I think you either forget or didn't reach the final paragraph of the original post that upset you. Thus losing the whole point.

I maintain that the statement you made, (or possibly quoted), is misleading to most people and a view of a graph would be more understandable.

The vast majority of the populace haven't a clue what we are arguing about. They don't know anything at all about statistics. The statement in your post is only of interest to those that do, and to them isn't much help either due to the number of ways the condition could arise.

The only possible reaction is "So? Please can we have more meaningful information". Wildly different usage patterns of statistical significance could be causing the "25% exceed the mean" result.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 27-Aug-15 13:47:37
Print Post

and you may be right, but that will be down to the packages AAISP sell.

if they sold unlimited packages at anything near the BT consumer price point, they would probably attract a unhealthy balance of heavy users which would crash it down.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Aug-15 22:18:12
Print Post

They don't know anything at all about statistics.

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.

tongue

plusnet user
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Sep-15 20:59:47
Print Post

[re: andrewhearn] [link to this post]

Any news yet? I have been really impressed with your service over the past 1.5 years but I have once again gone over the 200GB limit this month and feel like the price difference is quite considerable compared to the likes of Zen Internet etc.

200GB can get used up quite easily by a family of 3-4 doing a mix of gaming and video streaming.

AAISP Home::1
Standard User ZenUserJP
(member) Sun 27-Sep-15 21:44:22
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
Any news yet? I have been really impressed with your service over the past 1.5 years but I have once again gone over the 200GB limit this month and feel like the price difference is quite considerable compared to the likes of Zen Internet etc.

200GB can get used up quite easily by a family of 3-4 doing a mix of gaming and video streaming.

It is - Zen is £46,99 for the 80/20 service less for 40/10.

I hope they bring out new packages too - their TS is what I would like if they had a decent package
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-Sep-15 22:51:25
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Take a look at the comments from Mark. J on these two threads(nothing definitive, but strong hints)-

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/showthread.php/33995...

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/showthread.php/33909...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to