User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Slaphead
(learned) Tue 21-Jul-15 18:18:52
Print Post

Any news on new packages?

[link to this post]

I'm hoping it won't be too long to wait for some good news with regards to the FTTC packages. I know some of this was covered in the recent pricing thread.

If anyone is familiar with the RevK blog: http://www.revk.uk/

This post in June : http://www.revk.uk/2015/06/busy-week.html said 'Then we have some new stuff which I hope we can start next month - no promises, but it may finally mean some new broadband packages which I am quiet sure some people will like. Just watch this space.'

Then this post a little later in June: http://www.revk.uk/2015/06/back-haul.html said 'We may even be able to offer new services soon'

Richard
ISP Representative andrewhearn
(isp) Wed 22-Jul-15 12:22:58
Print Post

Re: Any news on new packages?

[re: Slaphead] [link to this post]

Hi Richard,

We've nothing to announce just yet regarding the hints of a new package that have been dropped in to RevK's blog smile

All I can say at the moment is to watch this space.......

Andrew Hearn
AAISP Technical Support
aa.net.uk [email protected] 03333 400 999
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Slaphead
(learned) Wed 22-Jul-15 13:00:08
Print Post

[re: andrewhearn] [link to this post]

Andrew,

Thanks for taking the time to reply even if you're not giving much away.

It's nice to know there's something on the horizon. Since the BBC increased the quality of some of their radio streams I'm munching through 1.5Gb a day, quite a hit on the units. Luckily I'm not at home during the day very often.

Richard

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 22-Jul-15 13:44:34
Print Post

There's a piece of kit called a radio that you can get. Or even a radio channel on TV.
tongue wink

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57676/14040kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Slaphead
(learned) Wed 22-Jul-15 14:07:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Well, either is possible if you're prepared to accept their considerable limitations. DAB is worse quality. TV sound quality is usually dire, you can plug them into the hi-fi but then it's just a big and awkward tuner. Not sure about the quality of the radio signal on Sky / Freeview as I've never used them. Then there's the issue of being able to have it playing in multiple rooms, changing channels is a pain. I'l stick with one stream distributed around the house.

Richard
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 22-Jul-15 15:35:02
Print Post

Re DAB, see this discussion.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User stuorguk
(member) Fri 24-Jul-15 12:49:10
Print Post

Since the BBC increased the quality of some of their radio streams I'm munching through 1.5Gb a day, quite a hit on the units.

Oh, so that's why my bill is up. We have to schedule everything to download after 6pm. Didn't realise the radio feed is a problem now too.
Standard User arobertson545
(member) Sat 25-Jul-15 23:21:42
Print Post

[re: stuorguk] [link to this post]

AAISP is expensive, there's no way in getting around that.

If they offered service at a slight premium (emphasis on slight), I would probably switch in a heartbeat. They would also need to offer a landline service with anytime calls - don't really understand why they don't offer this to be honest.

With this I believe they'd attract far more customers which would make up any loss as a result of reduced package costs.
Standard User stuorguk
(member) Sat 25-Jul-15 23:33:33
Print Post

[re: arobertson545] [link to this post]

AAISP are probably happy being a small quality isp. I don't know about other businesses, but our data usage goes up year on year, but the allowances (daytime) have not, so it's starting to hurt.
(member) Sat 25-Jul-15 23:35:04
Print Post

It would cost us I think £70 a month and that's without a landline.

That's just ridiculous, I don't know who would pay that.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sun 26-Jul-15 00:14:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by arobertson545:
AAISP is expensive, there's no way in getting around that.

If they offered service at a slight premium (emphasis on slight), I would probably switch in a heartbeat. They would also need to offer a landline service with anytime calls - don't really understand why they don't offer this to be honest.

With this I believe they'd attract far more customers which would make up any loss as a result of reduced package costs.
If they started attracting significant numbers of users shifting more data than the average users they'd face a significant increase in costs.

The sort of user they want are the ones like me - I've only once or twice gone over 50GB in a month, but I'd be prepared to pay a premium.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
(member) Sun 26-Jul-15 00:15:58
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

I would be prepared to pay a premium too but £70 a month is too much for anyone I would think.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 26-Jul-15 01:17:41
Print Post

If any of your usage is pure P2P or podcasts then their nighttime 1000GB per unit should help. The 1000GB is not a typo.

The Home::1 100GB is plenty for me.

Then there is the line-only rental at £10 available, with optional VOIP.

I've worked out I could move from my PN FTTC + BT line rental to AAISP + Pulse8broadband line rental for an extra £10pm. Sounds good to me.

(member) Sun 26-Jul-15 01:18:50
Print Post

I don't see any mention of 1000GB on the Home::1 plan?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 26-Jul-15 01:25:31
Print Post

http://www.aaisp.net/broadband-units.html

The units plan.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 26-Jul-15 01:26:17)

(member) Sun 26-Jul-15 11:11:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
http://www.aaisp.net/broadband-units.html

The units plan.

Even more outrageous cost then blush
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 27-Jul-15 09:07:05
Print Post

Yes, the "Night Time Special" rate (2am to 6am, every day) is only available on the units plan. They decided not to offer this special rate on the Home::1 plan, because they wanted to "keep things simple" for any customer opting to go with Home::1 (I read this on revk's blog). I personally find this disappointing - they could have offered unmetered usage during these hours on the Home::1 plan - that would have at least been some what useful to folk.

The units based tariff is dangerous. I was fully aware of the kind of antics that could trip me up on such a plan (I was on it for 2 years) eg. Windows decides it's going to perform a 250Mb update during peak time, which then knocks out a chunk of your units for the rest of the month. Not cool at all. I had to artificially limit my download speed during peak hours to mitigate this happening, and over all, managed to control my unit usage fairly well, but ended up jumping to Zen where I am now paying slightly cheaper for unlimited usage plus a line that supports making calls.

I guess AA have no intention in competing with large ISPs (like the Zens, Plusnets, BTs, TalkTalks, Skys of this industry). That's what makes them different. It's either A&A way, or the high way. I doubt they will budge on their package offerings without extremely good reason to do so.

Zen Unlimited Fibre | IPv6 via HE | » Automated Hourly HTTPx5 TBB Speed Tests «
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being blÝcked?

Edited by mixt (Mon 27-Jul-15 09:07:58)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 27-Jul-15 09:28:22
Print Post

The units plan isn't intended to be "inrageous" tongue.

It's an extreme version of ye olde low daytime high evening and night's allowance packages for people out at work all day. Capacity geared to daytime business use and near-empty at nights. Consumer broadband therefore almost free to the ISPs with a lot of business customers, so these packages worked, providing the ISPs with extra income to put towards the fixed costs of pre-WBC BT Centrals.

The internet world has moved on dramatically for both businesses and SOHO usage now. Hence the introduction of Home::1 and now the possible future products this thread is about.

Standard User Matchstick
(member) Mon 27-Jul-15 11:15:40
Print Post

In my case, someone who values the service that A&A provide compared to other, cheaper ISPs.

The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic
(member) Mon 27-Jul-15 11:16:25
Print Post

[re: Matchstick] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Matchstick:
In my case, someone who values the service that A&A provide compared to other, cheaper ISPs.

Do you seriously think the service is worth £80 a month?

I'm sure it's very good but it cannot be that good.
Standard User Matchstick
(member) Mon 27-Jul-15 11:32:04
Print Post

Yes, otherwise I wouldn't have been a customer for 10+ years.

Ultimately you get to chose what you are willing to pay for. If you want top notch customer service etc that costs money, so you need to decide if it's important enough for you to pay extra to get that sort of thing.

A&A aren't a mass market ISP selling data as cheaply as possible to as many customers as possible, they are a niche company selling premium services to people who are willing to pay more in return for more responsive and proactive support (amongst other things)

Edited by Matchstick (Mon 27-Jul-15 11:34:31)

(member) Mon 27-Jul-15 11:54:40
Print Post

I'm sorry but for the average person, there is no way in hell they would pay £70 for broadband, even with AAISP's support, which you wouldn't need most of the time anyway.
Standard User Matchstick
(member) Mon 27-Jul-15 12:07:49
Print Post

What on Earth makes you think A&A are selling products intended for the average user ?
A&A clearly have a market, they've been in business for longer than many many other ISP and what they've sold during the 10+ years I've been with them really hasn't changed very much.

But it's not a mass market product and it sounds like it's not what you are looking for, but you are seeing with your difficulties getting your line fixed one of the consequences of cheap broadband, something that some people are willing to pay to avoid.

(member) Mon 27-Jul-15 12:09:00
Print Post

For the cost of AAISP I could pay for a new line, put fibre on it and it would still be cheaper than AAISP.

Besides, I cannot physically go with AAISP as they do not support landlines.
Standard User Matchstick
(member) Mon 27-Jul-15 12:12:18
Print Post

So I guess you shouldn't sign up with A&A then.

(member) Mon 27-Jul-15 12:12:58
Print Post

I do wonder why they're going to bring out new packages if they are like you say, "doing just fine".
Standard User Matchstick
(member) Mon 27-Jul-15 12:25:50
Print Post

I don't know, maybe they've spotted a new service provider they can use to expand their product range ?
Or maybe they have found a way to offer the same service at a cheaper price ? Nothing wrong with lowering prices as long as it doesn't compromise the service.

I look forward to finding out.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 28-Jul-15 01:42:38
Print Post

has it occurred to you tho they dont want to be just another "mass market" isp.

I think its great the way they offer data only line rental at a reasonable pricepoint.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 28-Jul-15 01:44:22
Print Post

then clearly you not prepared to pay a premium then.

I remember I used to pay aaisp just under £30 a month for under 10 gig of peak time traffic per month on adsl max.

The reason I left wasnt due to the price, but at the time they seemed to have too many outages at weekends and nights, I have no issue with their packages.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User hypertony
(experienced) Tue 18-Aug-15 10:44:28
Print Post

Thought I'd bump this up... any news yet?

- Tony Sutton
- Check out my Ford Focus ST170 site | View my Car's Dashcam Videos
Standard User ZenUserJP
(regular) Thu 20-Aug-15 15:22:51
Print Post

[re: hypertony] [link to this post]

we are all waiting and hoping
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 20-Aug-15 18:20:32
Print Post

[re: ZenUserJP] [link to this post]

Waiting and hoping, but for what? I suppose we might see higher usage allowances, but the pricing is probably still going to be at the high end. If A&A launched something at Zen prices would they even be able to cope with the influx of customers and maintain decent quality support? Perhaps they can only ever be a small, expensive, ISP, whether they want to be or not.
Standard User ZenUserJP
(regular) Thu 20-Aug-15 20:50:40
Print Post

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Spud2003:
Waiting and hoping, but for what? I suppose we might see higher usage allowances, but the pricing is probably still going to be at the high end. If A&A launched something at Zen prices would they even be able to cope with the influx of customers and maintain decent quality support? Perhaps they can only ever be a small, expensive, ISP, whether they want to be or not.

Waiting to see what the new packages are. They might be high up agreed however anything is a step down from the line i am getting with them, which is £180 a month.
Standard User stuorguk
(member) Fri 21-Aug-15 12:33:39
Print Post

We have been a AAISP user for a long time, and always expected to pay a premium, but as time moves on, the allowances have not moved in line of what a typical user requires in 2015. So it's hurting. Particularly daytime rates. Now that Zen has IPV6, we are reluctantly looking at switching. The only thing stopping us from doing it today, is A) we want to make sure users are happy with Zen IPV6, and B) rumors of new AAISP rates.
Standard User lexden16
(member) Fri 21-Aug-15 16:05:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by stuorguk:
The only thing stopping us from doing it today, is A) we want to make sure users are happy with Zen IPV6,

I have had IPv6 with Zen since Monday. My Fritz!Box picked up the connection automatically when IPv6 was ticked. I have had webpage loading issues with Safari 9 (El Capitan OSX beta) - but not with Chrome. Safari issues have been resolved by changing the IPv6 connection in Settings from Automatic to Local Link only. My line has full 80/20 and it has been rock solid now for over a month. I am sure AAISP is a premium service; however, in my opinion, Zen comes very close. No slowdowns, for example, during OSX, Windows 10 roll outs etc.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Aug-15 18:04:15
Print Post

Recently 'RevK' said on Twitter "BT were charging more than they would"!

I thought this was hard to believe so teased him: https://twitter.com/HmmmUK/status/623537796175802368

...he didn't get back to answer the final question, I guess he's still 'checking' tongue

Hope he doesn't block me for bringing this up!!!

Edited by b4dger (Fri 21-Aug-15 18:10:45)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 21-Aug-15 18:37:10
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Well out of date, but currently showing as £10 + £18 for 40/10 for 12 months, and Sainsbury's voucher. crazy

It doesn't seem to show a "normal" price anywhere obvious. It's also possible the neighbour was upgrading with BT and didn't get the joiner discounts.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User ZenUserJP
(regular) Fri 21-Aug-15 23:15:03
Print Post

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

I have Zen but was unable to get IPv6 to work so I left it. It's rock solid 24/7 but I will be moving soon and I hope going back to A&A.

Nothing to do with Zen. I just want my own line.
Standard User Ixel
(member) Sat 22-Aug-15 00:21:01
Print Post

All working fine on IPv6 here via Zen with my Fritz!Box 7490. Initially speeds were terrible via IPv6 but that seems fine now.

I have considered moving to A&A but as some people pointed out, and I agree with, the package allowances aren't in line with average demand. Unless this changes then I may well stick with Zen as I've had no issues with the service for over a year (although I do pay for critical care, the top business FTTC package, so I'd expect an excellent service). I'm keen on A&A particularly from what I hear about their support being superb and the control panel offering some facilities that ISP's don't normally offer and usually are restricted to the ISP's own use (e.g. KBD).

Edited by Ixel (Sat 22-Aug-15 00:21:42)

Standard User ZenUserJP
(regular) Sat 22-Aug-15 03:36:38
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

yes it is superb support and the control panel is just mental. well I only experienced with on ADSL2.

No problem with Zen, couldn't get IPv6 to work but not a problem. I just want to go back to where I was before
(isp) Sat 22-Aug-15 08:57:31
Print Post

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

Nothing to announce yet, sorry, but when I get news I'll post here.

Andrew Hearn
AAISP Technical Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 22-Aug-15 09:26:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by ZenUserJP:
I have Zen but was unable to get IPv6 to work so I left it. It's rock solid 24/7 but I will be moving soon and I hope going back to A&A.

Nothing to do with Zen. I just want my own line.
Oh dear, that means you'll have to change your username ooo
Standard User ZenUserJP
(regular) Sat 22-Aug-15 12:11:26
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

lol

Or just not bother posting. either way is easy to sort smile
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 22-Aug-15 12:57:19
Print Post

True. I haven't seen AAuser27 posting for a while.
Standard User ZenUserJP
(regular) Sat 22-Aug-15 15:04:52
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Me neither. But then again I can't post as someone else so no surprise there.

I was ChaosK on AAISP when I was in the chat room and on my account.
Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Sun 23-Aug-15 12:21:35
Print Post

AAISP 100GB is more expensive than unlimited BT (40/10 or 80/20) even at full price. BT includes a lot more (phone, calls package, extras like BT Wifi) and has plenty of scope for discounts and deals.

Not a surprise for most people I'd suggest, other than RevK it seems!

Interesting he assumes 100GB and no working phone is what the average user wants, wonder what this holds for any new packages.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sun 23-Aug-15 12:58:36
Print Post

[re: vimto_girl] [link to this post]

How do you put a value on being able to speak directly to a very knowledgeable support person who speaks clear English and doesn't just work from a script?

I've NEVER gone above 60GB upload and download combined so there's absolutely zero difference between a 100GB allowance and unlimited.

I get sick of people posting on here who think that their usage patterns are typical when often they are far from typical. If AAISP's packages didn't suit a lot of people they would have gone out of business a long time ago.

jelv

Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Sun 23-Aug-15 14:05:34
Print Post

It was RevK who said AAISP is cheaper than BT, and RobertoS who wondered if it might be true, I was just setting the record straight.

I never said AAISP are not worth the extra price or don't have far better support than BT, you've read things into my post that weren't said. I'm a former customer of AAISP so I do have first hand experience and a balanced approach of different needs and values.

I also only said I find it interesting that RevK did not even consider the usage of his neighbour, as a typical user, might exceed 100GB, especially when I think about these future packages. I never said 100GB is not enough for anybody.

In my view, the typical user in 2015 wants unlimited data. 2014 Ofcom data from across providers shows a mean of 91GB usage per month for FTTC users and rising, and about a quarter of users exceed the mean.
Standard User stuorguk
(member) Sun 23-Aug-15 14:13:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by jelv:
I've NEVER gone above 60GB upload and download combined.

Is that 60GB daytime or night-time usage? For a 9-5 business, that's over £100 a month in just in data fees alone with AAISP.

In other words, if you watch Netflix in your 1-hour lunch break, that's £5 in HD, and £11 in UHD.
Standard User stuorguk
(member) Sun 23-Aug-15 14:31:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by vimto_girl:
In my view, the typical user in 2015 wants unlimited data. 2014 Ofcom data from across providers shows a mean of 91GB usage per month for FTTC users and rising, and about a quarter of users exceed the mean.

I don't mind being metered on data usage. It probably needs to be, to maintain a quality un-contented connection. But if the pricing doesn't move with the times, then it becomes untenable.

@jelv 60GB is not realistic these days. HD TV eats that up in no time, and more and more 4K video is being released now, which will explode in the next year or so.

Edited by stuorguk (Sun 23-Aug-15 14:35:05)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sun 23-Aug-15 15:27:57
Print Post

I've NEVER gone above 60GB upload and download combined.

Is that 60GB daytime or night-time usage? For a 9-5 business, that's over £100 a month in just in data fees alone with AAISP.

In other words, if you watch Netflix in your 1-hour lunch break, that's £5 in HD, and £11 in UHD.
That's total usage 24x7 for the whole month - i.e. very, very comfortably within the home::1 allowance!

jelv

Standard User stuorguk
(member) Sun 23-Aug-15 15:35:04
Print Post

That's total usage 24x7 for the whole month - i.e. very, very comfortably within the home::1 allowance!

I said business not home. Business rates are different. 100Gb is about £170 per month on data alone.

Edited by stuorguk (Sun 23-Aug-15 15:36:46)

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sun 23-Aug-15 15:36:47
Print Post

It may come as a surprise to you, but I have a device in the corner of my lounge that can receive HD TV direct from Freesat and if I want to watch programs at different times I can record them.

Saying 60GB is unrealistic is an idiotic statement when I've posted to say that's the most I've ever used in a month - it is totally realistic to me!

jelv

Standard User stuorguk
(member) Sun 23-Aug-15 15:46:53
Print Post

It may come as a surprise to you, but I have a device in the corner of my lounge that can receive HD TV direct from Freesat and if I want to watch programs at different times I can record them.

Saying 60GB is unrealistic is an idiotic statement when I've posted to say that's the most I've ever used in a month - it is totally realistic to me!

How are you able to watch Netflix, Amazon prime and Youtube on Freesat? Where are you getting your 4K content from?

If you don't watch those things, then that's fine, but a lot of people do, so i fail to see how my statement is idiotic. If all you watch is Freesat, then 60GB is fine for you.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sun 23-Aug-15 15:52:04
Print Post

How are you able to watch Netflix, Amazon prime and Youtube on Freesat? Where are you getting your 4K content from?

If you don't watch those things, then that's fine, but a lot of people do, so i fail to see how my statement is idiotic. If all you watch is Freesat, then 60GB is fine for you.
I don't watch Netflix or Amazon prime. I do watch some Youtube on my PC which has why my usgae has increased so dramatically in the last year or so. Previously I'd typically be using 10-15GB per month, maybe 25GB in a really heavy month!

jelv

Standard User stuorguk
(member) Sun 23-Aug-15 16:04:19
Print Post

I do watch some Youtube on my PC which has why my usgae has increased so dramatically in the last year or so.

As a business, this is the problem. Like many businesses, we let our employees use the internet during their breaks, and these days, they watch YouTube, or the news on BBC iPlayer, or they bring their Netflix accounts in. Peoples expectations have changed. I cant give them all freesat boxes!

I was in China last year, and the company I was doing business with gave me a desk to work at for my time there. It was in the software development department, and at lunch time, almost everyone was watching video of some description.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 23-Aug-15 17:06:57
Print Post

It was RevK who said AAISP is cheaper than BT, and RobertoS who wondered if it might be true, I was just setting the record straight.
Pardon?

I pointed out that the link badger gave was to a somewhat out-of-date page, and that I was unable to find a standard price on the BT website to which the service would presumably revert without warning at the end of the initial 12 months.

No doubt it is present in a BT Price list somewhere, but I don't regard that as acceptable.
I think "typical user" is a somewhat woolly term. The typical user hasn't any idea about anything to do with broadband except what they see in adverts. Of course "unlimited" will be chosen by the millions of them if there is no obvious cost penalty.

Very few are aware of ISPs outside the widely advertised ones, and any with children are unlikely to go for the low-allowance packages from BT and Sky.

( Incidentally we do see quite a few on these forums using Sky or BT with allowance packages, and requests for reasonably priced broadband excluding the big boys are not uncommon - specifying that they don't need unlimited).

Do Ofcom have any source other than samknows for this data do you know? I wonder how many of the millions of typical users have samknows monitors, and what proportion of those are on FTTC. I have always felt the samknows box holders are a self-selecting geek sample and very likely to be unrepresentative.

Maybe I'm wrong in that view. I don't know anyone with such equipment.

There may be some answers in this report, but there are a lot of composite apples and pears baskets there. The mere concept of an average speed across the UK is a nonsense.

I note they are hoping to improve their methodologies soon, but I gave up for now at Page 18.

In particular, I simply do not believe "a mean of 91GB usage per month for FTTC users and rising, and about a quarter of users exceed the mean" can be accurate.

Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Sun 23-Aug-15 18:08:16
Print Post

For the mean data usage, Ofcom use data directly from BT, Sky, TalkTalk and KCOM on all the active lines they retail or wholesale. So it is exceptionally accurate and representative.

(Apologies if I misinterpreted your post on the prices. Because you said you couldn't find the standard BT price, I thought you couldn't be sure if it was more expensive or not. Seems you were making some other point though)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 23-Aug-15 18:31:16
Print Post

For the mean data usage, Ofcom use data directly from BT, Sky, TalkTalk and KCOM on all the active lines they retail or wholesale. So it is exceptionally accurate and representative.
Good lord!!!
(Apologies if I misinterpreted your post on the prices. Because you said you couldn't find the standard BT price, I thought you couldn't be sure if it was more expensive or not. Seems you were making some other point though)
Both smile. I'm sure any valid comparison would show AAISP to be more expensive like for like, barring a few special cases which are self-evidently not valid comparisons for the purpose.
Edit - typo.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 23-Aug-15 22:05:28)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 23-Aug-15 21:42:03
Print Post

Seen references to line data for average connection speeds but never seen them say providers supply per line data use.

If they do then mean, median and quartile data should be in the reports.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 23-Aug-15 22:08:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'd also say the mode is highly relevant in a discussion of what "most people want". smile.

Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Mon 24-Aug-15 00:17:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I can confirm Ofcom get data use, sync speed, connection type and postcode for each line, and they do make use of this in their analyses from which approximate values of quantiles can be derived.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 24-Aug-15 10:56:06
Print Post

if it isnt cheaper it will be soon.

aaisp's prices have been fairly static for some years, they dont rip you off on line rental either.

meanwhile BT have inflation busting price rises every year sometimes twice a year.

On the 100gig allowance, it can be seen as a bit out of date, but clearly aaisp are getting enough customers with it or else they would have changed it.

AAISP prices are related to their cost, they dont give out retention deals etc., their costs are higher than BT as they dont have the sheer customer count to drag it down and they also use a more expensive way to get backhaul. Of course also they cannot cross subsidize.

Within a couple of years I expect line rental on BT will be double the cost of aaisp.

As for extras on BT they mostly useless, evening calls? (no thanks got a mobile for calls), wifi (in my area I was the only wifi transmitter, at my parents is none there either so useless), BT sport? ok but depends on the customer, cloud space? I did use this, but there is free alternatives such as dropbox and google drive.

Also the average user uses way less than 100gig a month, if they didnt then prices would be higher than what they are now. The likes of BT can sell unlimited at their price point because they have millions of granny type users who use about 100kb a month.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 24-Aug-15 11:43:52
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

The trouble with publishing selective analyses of statistical data, such as "2014 Ofcom data from across providers shows a mean of 91GB usage per month for FTTC users and rising, and about a quarter of users exceed the mean" is that most people associate "the mean" with the mid-point of a Normal distribution.

I'd like to see a graph of the data. I would expect it to be hugely skewed.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 24-Aug-15 11:47:02)

Standard User ZenUserJP
(member) Wed 26-Aug-15 09:42:48
Print Post

How do you put a value on being able to speak directly to a very knowledgeable support person who speaks clear English and doesn't just work from a script?

I've NEVER gone above 60GB upload and download combined so there's absolutely zero difference between a 100GB allowance and unlimited.

I get sick of people posting on here who think that their usage patterns are typical when often they are far from typical. If AAISP's packages didn't suit a lot of people they would have gone out of business a long time ago.

You get that from other ISP's too you know - Zen for one. and that's £46,99 to answer your question. Something has changed in their churn or something else in order for them to even consider unlimited. The fact that you went to them, a long time Plusnet customer means that they appeal to people who don't want a big allowance but want the QoS - AAISP once said to me, and the guy was right " you know an ISP's worth when something goes wrong."

I use TB's a month and I am moving back to AAISP but getting a more expensive business solution. So I am not in any way against anything that AAISP stand for - in fact their ethos always has and always will sit very nicely with me. I had ADSL with a Copper pair which suited me fine as I am one of the people who does not use a landline for anything but getting the internet. I have it with Zen and I don't use it - in fact I wish Zen did copper pair only also.

I just wanted to add mainly my first comment

Edited by ZenUserJP (Wed 26-Aug-15 09:47:33)

Standard User ZenUserJP
(member) Wed 26-Aug-15 09:50:24
Print Post

I said business not home. Business rates are different. 100Gb is about £170 per month on data alone.

Anyone looking at that sort of price is better off with EoFTTC which is £150 + VAT a month) for fill your boots over your own dedicated and uncontended line. That's what I am planning to do anyway.
Standard User ZenUserJP
(member) Wed 26-Aug-15 09:51:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
The likes of BT can sell unlimited at their price point because they have millions of granny type users who use about 100kb a month.

I wish there was a like button smile
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Aug-15 09:54:44
Print Post

+1

jelv

Standard User hypertony
(experienced) Wed 26-Aug-15 15:18:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by ZenUserJP:
Anyone looking at that sort of price is better off with EoFTTC which is £150 + VAT a month) for fill your boots over your own dedicated and uncontended line. That's what I am planning to do anyway.

But how much is the installation cost... ?

- Tony Sutton
Standard User ZenUserJP
(member) Wed 26-Aug-15 21:26:48
Print Post

It's £550+VAT but it can be covered by a voucher if you live in the right area.

If not then it might not make sense but it is of course 100% deductible to good if you need to burn off some VAT anyway
Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Wed 26-Aug-15 22:59:02
Print Post

The trouble with publishing selective analyses of statistical data, such as "2014 Ofcom data from across providers shows a mean of 91GB usage per month for FTTC users and rising, and about a quarter of users exceed the mean" is that most people associate "the mean" with the mid-point of a Normal distribution.
Of course, silly me! I should have known most people on reading "a quarter of users exceed the mean" would understand this to mean half of users exceed the mean! And in a normal distribution, what else lol wink
Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Wed 26-Aug-15 23:04:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
The likes of BT can sell unlimited at their price point because they have millions of granny type users who use about 100kb a month.
Yep, all those grannies who flocked to sign up to unlimited FTTC right wink ? If AAISP lifted the lid I'd think the usage profile and mean or total usage would be broadly similar to BT FTTC.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 26-Aug-15 23:27:26
Print Post

Of course, silly me! I should have known most people on reading "a quarter of users exceed the mean" would understand this to mean half of users exceed the mean! And in a normal distribution, what else lol wink
Heh smile.

Try again. The mean is nothing to do with the number of users or values each side of it. So exactly the point I'm making. It isn't a normal distribution.

A simple numerical example. 10 users at 90GB and 30 users at 10GB.

What are the axes? Presumably the usage is the "y". What is the "x"?

Or is the number of users the "y"? Then the "x" becomes the usage?

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 26-Aug-15 23:48:16)

Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Thu 27-Aug-15 06:00:52
Print Post

Itís straightforward and clear: the mean usage is 91GB and around a quarter of users exceed the mean.

It obviously isnít a normal distribution with 91GB at the midpoint if a quarter of users exceed 91GB ! So the point is: why on earth do you believe most people would think otherwise? It doesnít make any sense, people arenít that stupid.

(Far from hiding something by only specifying the mean, there is insight into the distribution that usefully answers the Q: Ďyes, but how many people actually used >91GB ?í)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 27-Aug-15 11:57:40
Print Post

I think you either forget or didn't reach the final paragraph of the original post that upset you. Thus losing the whole point.

I maintain that the statement you made, (or possibly quoted), is misleading to most people and a view of a graph would be more understandable.

The vast majority of the populace haven't a clue what we are arguing about. They don't know anything at all about statistics. The statement in your post is only of interest to those that do, and to them isn't much help either due to the number of ways the condition could arise.

The only possible reaction is "So? Please can we have more meaningful information". Wildly different usage patterns of statistical significance could be causing the "25% exceed the mean" result.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 27-Aug-15 13:47:37
Print Post

and you may be right, but that will be down to the packages AAISP sell.

if they sold unlimited packages at anything near the BT consumer price point, they would probably attract a unhealthy balance of heavy users which would crash it down.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Aug-15 22:18:12
Print Post

They don't know anything at all about statistics.

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.

tongue

plusnet user
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Sep-15 20:59:47
Print Post

Any news yet? I have been really impressed with your service over the past 1.5 years but I have once again gone over the 200GB limit this month and feel like the price difference is quite considerable compared to the likes of Zen Internet etc.

200GB can get used up quite easily by a family of 3-4 doing a mix of gaming and video streaming.

AAISP Home::1
Standard User ZenUserJP
(member) Sun 27-Sep-15 21:44:22
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
Any news yet? I have been really impressed with your service over the past 1.5 years but I have once again gone over the 200GB limit this month and feel like the price difference is quite considerable compared to the likes of Zen Internet etc.

200GB can get used up quite easily by a family of 3-4 doing a mix of gaming and video streaming.

It is - Zen is £46,99 for the 80/20 service less for 40/10.

I hope they bring out new packages too - their TS is what I would like if they had a decent package
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-Sep-15 22:51:25
Print Post

Take a look at the comments from Mark. J on these two threads(nothing definitive, but strong hints)-

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/showthread.php/33995...

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/showthread.php/33909...
Standard User stuorguk
(member) Mon 28-Sep-15 23:50:04
Print Post

I doubt there will be anything new until the man cave is finished.
(isp) Tue 29-Sep-15 13:13:17
Print Post

I doubt there will be anything new until the man cave is finished.

haha! No, progress is being made despite the man cave smile

Andrew Hearn
AAISP Technical Support
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-Oct-15 18:18:39
Print Post

Any news yet??

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 12-Oct-15 18:28:57
Print Post

To paraphrase, "No news is no news". wink

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Mon 12-Oct-15 19:28:57
Print Post

Or even "No news is old news". tongue

plusnet user
Standard User Slaphead
(learned) Tue 13-Oct-15 17:47:40
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Is there any chance of any news this year?

I don't know if I can survive the Christmas break after my experience having a week off in summer and munching through units like they were biscuits.

A small hint that there may be a light at the end of the tunnel would be appreciated.

Richard
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Oct-15 17:20:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by Slaphead:
Is there any chance of any news this year?

I need to see news before end of this month. Seems I am always going over 200GB limit now (4 people in the house doing mixture of gaming/youtube/HD streaming - not even any usenet or torrenting!). Cannot justify paying "very high usage" prices - will move back to Zen even though AAISP support has/is far superior. A few pounds difference is fine but we're talking a difference of £30.00.

Edited by Pipexer (Sun 18-Oct-15 17:22:40)

Standard User derekdel
(regular) Sun 18-Oct-15 20:38:34
Print Post

Yes I would like to know if this is a possibility also....

ZeN Line 1 BQM
ZeN Line 2 BQM
BT Backhaul sucks
Standard User stuorguk
(member) Wed 21-Oct-15 13:28:47
Print Post

[re: derekdel] [link to this post]

I think you guys are pinning your hopes on a cryptic message made months ago, that could mean anything. If AAISP wanted an influx of new customers, they would have brought their packages more in-line with their competitors ages ago.
Standard User Slaphead
(learned) Wed 21-Oct-15 19:28:13
Print Post

I think you're right. As much as I'd like to stay I'll probably be off to Zen mid-November. It will save me a little but mainly I'll be able to stop worrying about usage. I currently feel like I'm back in the days of dial-up having to check my usage all the time.
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 22-Oct-15 14:07:51
Print Post

I think you guys are pinning your hopes on a cryptic message made months ago, that could mean anything.

It wasn't particularly cryptic and Mark over at ISPreview has also confirmed he expects(as in he knows something we don't) new packages from them sooner rather than later. See this thread - http://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/showthread.php/33909...

Edited by Spud2003 (Thu 22-Oct-15 14:10:06)

Standard User stuorguk
(member) Thu 22-Oct-15 14:43:48
Print Post

New packages may not necessarily be replacements for existing ones (i.e lower prices). The last new package, was a new dual line office solution, which is a great product for some, and one that I have recommend to a few of my business clients.
However, I don't generally recommend AAISP any more, except for businesses that use their connection for a dedicated purpose, with known data usage.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 23-Oct-15 10:48:38
Print Post

I dont think its worth waiting either.

aaisp's main business target seems to be providing redundant adsl connections, they dont seem interested in the FTTC market so much, one reasoning for my theory is that they dont even offer talktalk FTTC connections.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 23-Oct-15 11:25:26
Print Post

Im surprised they have any home users the price they charge and the download limits they have. Yes their customer service might be great but so do alot of smaller ISPs that are alot more competitive
Standard User stuorguk
(member) Fri 23-Oct-15 12:59:40
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

They fill a niche market very well. Critical business comms (ethernet), and where cost is a factor, low-bandwidth comms using xDSL (Point of sale terminals, data logging, control systems etc).

Their pricing structure is designed to stop data hogs saturating their network, particularly during the day, so that they can provide a quality, assured, service for business.

Nothing wrong with that. Their competitiveness is probably motivated more by their churn rate, than growth. Growth requires more staff, buildings, infrastructure, etc etc.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Oct-15 19:10:15
Print Post

Hit my limit again. Enough is enough now - can't justify paying this amount, time to request MAC, going back to Zen.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 28-Oct-15 19:16:45
Print Post

time to request MAC
You'll wait a long time. They ceased to exist several months ago.

Link.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 28-Oct-15 19:18:53)

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Oct-15 19:18:08
Print Post

time to request MAC
You'll wait a long time. They ceased to exist several months ago.

Didn't know that actually, oh well even easier it seems...

Shame, I really like AAISP.

Standard User TonyHoyle
(knowledge is power) Sun 01-Nov-15 18:53:15
Print Post

I love AAISP, have been with them for years, but they haven't kept up with increased usage.. between netflix, iplayer and twitch I can hit 500GB easily.

News of the increased allowance package kept me holdng on.. but vague 'we're working on it' noises can't keep me forever so looking at mid november before I'm off (thinking ~2 weeks changeover so finishing at the start of a month so the numbers work well).

Edited by TonyHoyle (Sun 01-Nov-15 18:57:32)

Standard User virginyousuckbad
(newbie) Mon 02-Nov-15 14:27:37
Print Post

[re: TonyHoyle] [link to this post]

You'd Like Zen then.
Standard User din100
(member) Wed 09-Dec-15 15:49:36
Print Post

[re: TonyHoyle] [link to this post]

I know I'm selfish here but I kind a like AAISP pricing if they keep the same level of service.

I use Zen for BBC iplayers 4od etc which comes to around 200GB/month.

I use AAISP just for remote working for me and Mrs and usage is less than 100GB I get the top speed and If any issue on the line AAISP will sort it out for me on a single email, with out me calling them and chasing for updates every day.

Their pricing is much cheaper than going with "business class ISP" to be fair AAISP home:1 service is far better than other VDSL based business ISPs.

(committed) Mon 21-Dec-15 23:41:56
Print Post

Bit more news here...

No pricing yet though.

xilo Fibre+ BQM
Standard User stuorguk
(member) Tue 22-Dec-15 13:50:51
Print Post

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

Interesting. Lets hope they remove those daft daytime rates, and win me back as a small business.
Standard User hypertony
(experienced) Tue 22-Dec-15 18:40:35
Print Post

Excellent! As long as the price is very reasonable, I'll be happy to switch back to AAISP as soon as my BT contract ends.

Looking forward to next month for the prices, details, etc.

- Tony Sutton
Standard User derekdel
(regular) Thu 24-Dec-15 21:43:24
Print Post

At last......

ZeN Line 1 BQM
ZeN Line 2 BQM
BT Backhaul sucks
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Dec-15 09:25:34
Print Post

Same here. I have Freesat and Sky. The only time I have to stream anything online is if something has gone and I failed to mark a programme for recording or the EPG let me down. At a guess that means three or four times a year. In a typical month I use about 30GB and I suspect most of that might be TBB speed tests since pretty much all else I do is browse the web and run a personal mail server.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Dec-15 09:39:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by Spud2003:
Waiting and hoping, but for what? I suppose we might see higher usage allowances, but the pricing is probably still going to be at the high end.hether they want to be or not.
'High end'? Lol. I'm currently paying £37 in total for line rental and unlimited broadband. The latter is with PlusNet and since they fixed the problems earlier in the year I get a steady 67/20 speed 24/7.

The same thing with AAISP would be going on for £60. And all I'd get for that extra cost is an allowance (okay more than I need but it's still an allowance). IPv6 (which is irrelevant) and 24/7 monitoring which I already do through TBB. Oh and a better class of support but then I hardly ever need support anyway.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Tue 29-Dec-15 09:44:52
Print Post

Details are up....Link.

A few restrictions and some unavoidable set up charges but basically £60 a month including line rental for 1TB but no calls allowed on the line.
Home use only (Not for business use)

Should be ready to order by the end of January!

xilo Fibre+ BQM
Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Tue 29-Dec-15 10:01:00
Print Post

Actually there is an office option....2TB for £100+Vat with a further 10TB option above that.

xilo Fibre+ BQM
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-Dec-15 11:15:02
Print Post

Thanks!

This is still pricey, but it is a respectable offering from A&A, taking into account who they are. smile

I don't think it's viable enough for me to jump ship though, but will definitely watch how this develops - I like the fact they have gone the route of simply slashing the download speed for overage, until the next billing period, rather than simply cutting you off. Good route to take.

Zen Unlimited Fibre + Native IPv6 (Trial)
Automated Hourly HTTPx6 TBB Speed Tests (3xIPv4+3xIPv6)
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Standard User stuorguk
(member) Tue 29-Dec-15 15:11:18
Print Post

Where is this Office option?

As far as I can see, they have left VAT/Ltd registered homeworkers out again.
Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-Dec-15 15:16:42
Print Post

On the link provided. Specifically:

As normal with our normal Home::1 service, Home::1T is only available to non VAT registered home users, and comes with one WAN IPv4 address and a block of IPv6 addresses.

So if you're a business, your options are SoHo::1T or Office::1T only (well, if you are a VAT registered business, you can probably still get Home::1T but they will not place the account in the name of your business, only your "legal person" - and they won't issue VAT invoices either, so you wouldn't be able to claim the VAT back).

Edited by mixt (Tue 29-Dec-15 15:19:51)

Standard User stuorguk
(member) Tue 29-Dec-15 15:29:30
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

Yes I know. gmoorc said there was an office package for £100, and I was asking where that was. There isn't as far as I can see.

Office 1T is overkill for a very small business as I am. Most of my clients are small business, and where I used to always advise them to go for AAISP, for the last few years I tell them to go with Zen. And what do small businesses do when they grow up? Use more data, and spend more with their ISPs. This is very short sighted.
Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Tue 29-Dec-15 15:40:27
Print Post

It's on the blue pricing table about halfway down the page.
Three packages, home, Soho and office.

xilo Fibre+ BQM
Standard User stuorguk
(member) Tue 29-Dec-15 15:47:35
Print Post

Oh, "SoHo". got you. thanks. I thought it was a home package.
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Dec-15 20:10:11
Print Post

This is still pricey, but it is a respectable offering from A&A, taking into account who they are

What do AAISP offer that other ISPs dont? Lots of smaller ISPs offer truely unlimited, no trottling or slowdown and great customer service. I dont get what they can offer more considering they're about 2 or 3 times more expensive than other smaller ISPs that have a good reputation

Edited by bobble_bob (Tue 29-Dec-15 20:10:36)

Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-Dec-15 20:59:08
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

Well said Sir. I cannot see who would need such usage apart from a small percentage of very heavy downloaders, but as you say, totally unlimited and unrestricted beats it at half the price. Then there is the strange condition of no calls allowed, so the expense does not seem to end despite the service appearing to include line rental.

Edited by professor973 (Tue 29-Dec-15 21:31:08)

Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 30-Dec-15 08:09:28
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

You guys crack me up, presenting the same argument each time on posts such as this. It is such a broken record.

A&A are not an "average" ISP, and their service(s) is/are not average either (much above average, from what I have experienced). So it is of no surprise they do not attract the "average" customer. Even with this fact, they evidently do still have customers (or they wouldn't even be in business) and there must be some kind of demand for the *::1T products from both existing customers and potentials looking to move.

For me, yes, I can't justify the cost. I pay £43.99 a month to Zen for unlimited 40/10 (inc line rental). I would be paying £60 a month if I switched (for effectively, still an unlimited service, at least for the first 1TB per month) - right now, this month, my usage has hit half a TB.

But there are people out there willing to pay this. Maybe they don't want to use the BT back-haul for their FTTC connection (some kind of redundancy requirement if they run a dual line setup), maybe they also want 4 hour business grade response to line faults (a A&A default by the way, on all lines they provision, even for home users) and maybe they just want to go via a back-haul which has less contention and better capacity than BT's, so potentially a faster, more fluid experience for both downloading and general internet usage along with a vast improvement on jitter/latency (if they're a gamer), with lower standard deviation with that (fewer latency spikes during peak times etc).

Like I said in one of my other recent posts, I have noticed performance drops on my Zen connection since October, but it is extremely minor (most people wouldn't notice it). I have noticed much higher latency and jitter with it since switching to them from A&A over a year ago, but the service still works as I need, so no complaints.

Either way, stick to your budget ISPs if that's what works for you. But budget ISPs don't work for everyone, and that is why alternatives like A&A exist.

Edited by mixt (Wed 30-Dec-15 12:42:41)

Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 30-Dec-15 14:28:49
Print Post

Not with a "Budget ISP", but get unlimited unthrottled 80/20, which comes with included line rental and good customer service, with no contract tie-in for barely what you pay for 40/10. It's resold TalkTalk Business, whiuch has a very good reputation itself and the same supplier as the high priced AAISP product.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 30-Dec-15 14:53:26
Print Post

I think the point Bobble & Professor were trying to make was that AAISP isn't really for the average residential punter mainly due to their eye watering prices.....no matter how good they are. Thanks to the Tories shafting every punter left, right & centre not everyone can afford to pay 60 quid a month on broadband alone

IMHO there are 3 classes of ISPs in UK:

1) Bargain basement ISPs such as BT, Sky, TalkTalk Residential, Plusnet et al. They're cheap for a reason, usually poor overseas phone support and/or long waiting times on the phone. However many people also have no need to call support so you could argue you can save a few bob by going to one of these ISPs if you have a problem-free line.

2) Niche ISPs such as Zen, IDnet, Xilo, Pulse8, TalkTalk Business, Netplan et al who are reasonably priced. These ISPs aren't the cheapest but they all offer top class UK based support and will usually resolve any issues over the phone with the minimum of fuss.

3) High end niche ISPs such as AAISP, BT Business et al. Charge an arm & a leg but will give you a top, top class service such as line repairs within 24hrs, line monitoring 24/7 etc. Quite often businesses will plump for them.

So its really horses for courses smile

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business Fibre 79999/20000 kbps