User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 30-Sep-18 00:08:05
Print Post

Re: VMG3925-B10B users

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

VMG-3926-B10A is a very rare beastie in the wild. smile

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Standard User adsbenham
(newbie) Mon 05-Aug-19 21:39:35
Print Post

I'm the author of the AAISP wiki comment about the extra noise filter on the VMG3925-B10B. I've been misled by all the different ZyXEL model numbers frown
Standard User adsbenham
(newbie) Sat 10-Aug-19 16:45:52
Print Post

[re: adsbenham] [link to this post]

Now I've got my VMG3925-B10B from Ebay working nicely (IPv6 now works properly, which it never did on the AAISP VMG1312-B10A) I have a couple of queries:

Firmware upgrade only appears on the WebUI if I'm logged in as supervisor, and not if I'm logged in as admin. I've upgraded V5.13(AAVF.10)C0 as per the AAISP Wiki, but is this restriction normal ?

I suspect there might be a 'foreign' ROM-D file installed. As I see it, I can either do:
zycli save_default clean
or
zysh then 'sys atcd Erase ROM-D partition.'
Are these two options the same ?
Actually I've not tried doing either - maybe one (or both) won't work!

I can't run "iptables -nvL'' or "ip6tables -nvL" as supervisor, I need to be root - and cracking the root password might be a bigger task. Again, is this normal behaviour ?
Maybe I'm paranoid, but the B10A used to discard firewall rules (especially after a power cycle), so I'd like to be able to check. Also I have an extra /64 routed to me, and would like to check that's working as intended.

Oh, trivial thing - the 'WAN' led doesn't work (or rather the colour always shows as black). Is that because I haven't attached it to the right WAN interface ? I notice the AAISP TL;DR sheet dosn't mention the WAN led.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adsbenham
(newbie) Sun 11-Aug-19 23:10:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
Can someone correct the page here.

It's believed that the VMG3925 has an extra common-mode noise filter on the telephone line. Kitz discussion

I've updated the page, since I wrote that text in the first place frown
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 11-Aug-19 23:29:55
Print Post

[re: adsbenham] [link to this post]

When logged in as supervisor there's an extra config box on the router home screen (Login Privileges) where you can change what each user has access to.

It's probably restricted on the admin account which isn't normal for a retail model but most eBay Zyxel devices are ISP issued devices.

You can enter the serial number and register the device on the Zyxel support/warranty page and they will let you know if it's a retail device and if it has a current warranty (if used) or activate the warranty period (if new).

zycli save_default clean is what I do to erase the rom-D.

Zyxel have been clamping down on shell access on recent firmware on a number of devices.
The admin account either has no shell access at all or a custom/restricted Zysh shell that only allows access to the xdsl commands.
supervisor still has full control on these firmwares.

iptables over my head. might get more luck on kitz on that one as there's a fair few techie users with zyxels.

Edited by j0hn83 (Sun 11-Aug-19 23:32:59)

Standard User adsbenham
(newbie) Mon 12-Aug-19 12:46:12
Print Post

When logged in as supervisor there's an extra config box on the router home screen (Login Privileges) where you can change what each user has access to.

On my unit it only allows one to change passwords. Perhaps it doesn't have the privilege to change privilege smile

Zyxel have been clamping down on shell access on recent firmware on a number of devices.
The admin account either has no shell access at all or a custom/restricted Zysh shell that only allows access to the xdsl commands.
supervisor still has full control on these firmwares.

On my unit, admin can't access the adsl/xdsl commands. I was hoping that the user account would be able to, then I wouldn't need to embed the supervisor password in one of my scripts.

iptables over my head. might get more luck on kitz on that one as there's a fair few techie users with zyxels.

Having had the root password cracked for me (9 hex digits, probably same as supervisor password if that is 9 hex digits) I get shell access as root and can run iptables and ip6tables, so I'm happy.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to