User comments on ISPs
  >> AAISP

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jtevans
(member) Wed 09-Oct-19 11:06:06
Print Post

Report BB fault to BT voice

[link to this post]

In the last few weeks, my AA ADSL2+ line drops when the phone rings. This happens even when the (one wired) phone is disconnected from the line.

AA support suggest I report this to my phone provider (BT). To quote "This sounds like a high resistance joint somewhere on the PSTN side. You'll most likely need an engineer out to investigate. You'll need to report this to whoever you pay line rental to."

Does anyone have a recommendation of the best way of describing this (Broadband?) fault to BT so that they look for a possible cable fault?. The phone works and is not noisy.

Jim Evans
Cheshire
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Oct-19 12:03:48
Print Post

Re: Report BB fault to BT voice

[re: jtevans] [link to this post]

Does anyone have a recommendation of the best way of describing this (Broadband?) fault to BT so that they look for a possible cable fault?. The phone works and is not noisy.

Yes, have AA raise an SFI task ....

Raising a voice fault with your voice provider (on a line which isn't noisy, and certainly tests OK) will result in a CDTA task being raised by your voice provider, and, unless you are incredibly lucky, you having a bill for £120 for right when tested by engineer visit.

after all, you pay AA for them to provide a broadband service, you have an issue with that service, therefore it's them who should arrange it's resolution.

Standard User jtevans
(member) Wed 09-Oct-19 14:10:30
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Yes, have AA raise an SFI task ....

after all, you pay AA for them to provide a broadband service, you have an issue with that service, therefore it's them who should arrange it's resolution.

Thanks for that input. That was my view too when I reported the problem, (though I did not know what to ask for). I was surprised that I got a different response as AA support normally gets high praise. Split maintenance responsibility is a great game.

It's not my only problem; At 2.2km, this ADSL2+ BB line stabilises at a 13dB SNR and 6656kbps sync downstream. I got faster DS sync on ADSLMax. We now have FTTC in the village (at 800m to the cabinet, so it won't be lightning fast. I won't be paying AA prices for that).

I am reviewing what is the easiest and most cost effective solution.

Jim Evans
Cheshire

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lexden16
(committed) Wed 09-Oct-19 19:45:56
Print Post

Occams Razor. I assume that you have ruled out the obvious; ie, a failed filter or faceplate. I had this issue some years ago and I resolved it by double filtering the cable to my router.
Standard User jtevans
(member) Wed 09-Oct-19 23:29:24
Print Post

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

I assume that you have ruled out the obvious; ie, a failed filter or faceplate.

Thanks for the pointer.

To clarify, it's only the dropout on ringing that is new. The 13dB SNR has been the same since upgrade to ADSL2+ in Oct 2017 and did not change when a face-plate filter (Openreach Mk3) to isolate house wiring replaced the previous house wiring with individual "soap on a rope" filters and the router at the remote end (10m). The router is now connected to the faceplate on about 2m of cable.

I have not changed the faceplate filter as I assumed it is a passive device and unlikely to fail. In view of your comment I'll change it, as I do have a spare of a different make.

Jim Evans
Cheshire
ISP Representative shaunkemp
(isp) Thu 10-Oct-19 08:33:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by jtevans:
In the last few weeks, my AA ADSL2+ line drops when the phone rings. This happens even when the (one wired) phone is disconnected from the line.

AA support suggest I report this to my phone provider (BT). To quote "This sounds like a high resistance joint somewhere on the PSTN side. You'll most likely need an engineer out to investigate. You'll need to report this to whoever you pay line rental to."

I'm sorry we bounced this back to you - I'd much rather we dealt with this sort of fault especially as your telephone provider would probably not understand this sort of issue.

I'll review the ticket in detail and email you a reply back shortly

Shaun

Andrews & Arnold
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User jtevans
(member) Thu 10-Oct-19 11:26:18
Print Post

[re: shaunkemp] [link to this post]

Shaun,

Thanks for that response. Email about to wing its way to you at 'support'

Regards

Jim Evans
Cheshire
Standard User jtevans
(committed) Fri 11-Oct-19 10:12:34
Print Post

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

ie, a failed filter or faceplate.

For completeness, I put the router on the NTE5 test socket with a dangly filter as a BT to RJ11 adapter with no phones. The BB line drops out around the seventh ring tone as heard on the calling phone.

AA are progressing the fault.

Jim Evans
Cheshire
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 11-Oct-19 10:56:24
Print Post

The BB line drops out around the seventh ring tone as heard on the calling phone.

If not the suggested HR fault, (and I'm guessing not, repeatably dropping after seven rings is too 'manufactured' and HR wouldn't be so very predictable) Then next guess would a lift and shift required in the exchange, and suggest [politely] that a swap out of LIC* may be worth a go whilst they are there.

*LIC, the port providing dial tone on the MDF

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 11-Oct-19 11:13:09
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Isnít seven rings when the 1571 system kicks in? Given that the poster says ďas heard on the calling phoneĒ, I presume there is no phone plugged in at the OPís premises.

If the whole line then drops, the caller may not get the 1571 prompt. With it being a fault situation.

Edit: I see the OP does have a phone.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 11-Oct-19 11:17:39)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to