User comments on ISPs
  >> AOL

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nilrem
(committed) Wed 01-Dec-10 20:55:02
Print Post

AOL price increases!

[link to this post]

Just received an email from AOL about putting all the fees up! Mine is being increased to £19.99!
It means £5 per month extra for me and I am still in a 18month contract so I can't do much about it!

In reference to :
As you may know, from 4th January 2011, the government is increasing standard VAT from 17.5% to 20%. This change will be applied to your monthly package fee, any call charges you may incur and all other VATable charges. Your monthly package fee will also change to £19.99 a month including the new rate of VAT.

The monthly fee that applies if you pay your bill using a one-off payment method (as opposed to having a Direct Debit or monthly recurring card payment set-up) will change to £4.50 per bill payment.
The monthly fee that applies if you pay your bill by monthly recurring card (not Direct Debit) will change to £1.99 per bill payment.
Standard User tommy45
(experienced) Wed 01-Dec-10 21:14:41
Print Post

Re: AOL price increases!

[re: nilrem] [link to this post]

I think you will find that you are entitled to cancel without paying the remaining contract period, as with my isp back last year when the vat rate was reduced .they wrote to me advising me of this, as it should constitute a change of contract terms , check with consumer advice first

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 01-Dec-10 23:33:22
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
I think you will find that you are entitled to cancel without paying the remaining contract period, as with my isp back last year when the vat rate was reduced .they wrote to me advising me of this, as it should constitute a change of contract terms
That was hardly a detrimental change, which is the only cause for cancelling the contract.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(experienced) Thu 02-Dec-10 00:04:00
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Well IIRC uko offered this ,it may of been when it was increased again from the 15% so that being the case i doubt that they would of just made the offer out of kindness, as i said check it out with a consumer advice body,they should know if you can/can't

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 02-Dec-10 00:05:57)

Standard User Zoejoe
(member) Sun 05-Dec-10 17:38:49
Print Post

Hi smile

I've also had that email frown

Not Sure What To Do!
I'm really worried, upset and angry.
Looks like a contract means nothing these days.
We break the contract - & - We get punished!
AOL breaks the contract - & - What can we do?

AOL Upto 24mbps .. Broadband - & - Phone!
Not so easy to change ISP blush
Oh! .. What Have I Done?

Zoe
Standard User nilrem
(committed) Mon 06-Dec-10 00:31:06
Print Post

[re: Zoejoe] [link to this post]

We are not the only ones, on another forum I have found lot's of others who have had this email, some have spoken to AOL about it and they just won't budge on the price, this is quite different from times in the past when you could phone AOL and complain and they would quickly offer a lower rate!

I wouldn't mind if I got a good service but I only get about 2Mb now.
Standard User UnionCastle
(newbie) Mon 06-Dec-10 06:40:51
Print Post

I have been with AOL for 10 years and for the last 2 years have paid £9.99 for BB and telephone and I also had a email saying because of VAT increase it is going up to £19.99!

When I queried it all I got was the Government increased the VAT!

I am still fighting it but expect I am facing a brick wall.

Because we have a B & B our email address is in all sorts of publications so changing it is not an option.

I don't think the new price even includes the phone although we are light users.

It would be nice if I actually got the speeds they promise!!!!
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Dec-10 09:44:50
Print Post

These are the pitfalls of long contracts and MPF. It might sound a good, cheap option at the time but it rarely is.
Standard User nilrem
(committed) Mon 06-Dec-10 11:43:54
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

TBH When they offered me a lower price £14.99 for an 18 month contract I thought (mistakenly) that I would be paying them £14.88 during that 18 month period whereas in actual fact they could offer a rate for a contract then increase the cost a few weeks later.
TBH it looks like a devious practise to me!
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Dec-10 12:47:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by nilrem:
TBH When they offered me a lower price £14.99 for an 18 month contract I thought (mistakenly) that I would be paying them £14.88 during that 18 month period whereas in actual fact they could offer a rate for a contract then increase the cost a few weeks later.

If they offered you an extended contract on the basis of price alone then any increase in that price (Excluding statutory increases such as VAT) constitutes a material change and voids that contract.
Standard User Zoejoe
(member) Mon 06-Dec-10 12:56:39
Print Post

Hi smile

That's Exactly How I Feel frown

It was April the 1st ( April Fools Day! ) when AOL rang to offer me a New Contract...
Upto 24 mbps Broadband = £14.99 ( In Reality.. Getting about 7 mbps to 9 mbps )
Line Rental = £11.25 ( Unlimited Free UK Calls )
Total Cost = £26.24 per month.

Would never have giving AOL our phone line if I'd thought they could pull a trick like this.
They certainly managed to April Fool me frown

Zoe
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Dec-10 13:12:06
Print Post

[re: UnionCastle] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by UnionCastle:
Because we have a B & B our email address is in all sorts of publications so changing it is not an option.
You don't have to! Your email a/c is entirely separate from your BB. It is part of AOL Web Services, not AOL BB, which you can keep indefinitely.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Standard User Zoejoe
(member) Mon 06-Dec-10 13:41:06
Print Post

Hi smile

Although my email seemed so similar to yours...
I couldn't actually remember seeing the figure of £19.99

Just received an email from AOL about putting all the fees up! Mine is being increased to £19.99!
It means £5 per month extra for me and I am still in a 18month contract so I can't do much about it!

In reference to :
As you may know, from 4th January 2011, the government is increasing standard VAT from 17.5% to 20%. This change will be applied to your monthly package fee, any call charges you may incur and all other VATable charges. Your monthly package fee will also change to £19.99 a month including the new rate of VAT.

The monthly fee that applies if you pay your bill using a one-off payment method (as opposed to having a Direct Debit or monthly recurring card payment set-up) will change to £4.50 per bill payment.
The monthly fee that applies if you pay your bill by monthly recurring card (not Direct Debit) will change to £1.99 per bill payment.

My eyes are rather bad blush
So!
I've just been and re read my AOL email.
Although worded very similar... My email does NOT mention £19.99

See....

As you may know, from 4th January 2011, the government is increasing standard VAT from 17.5% to 20%. This change will be applied to your monthly package fee, any call charges you may incur, and all other VATable charges. We will not be applying this increase to your line rental though; this will stay at £11.99.

Here at AOL Broadband we are continually making improvements to ensure we give you the best service, reliability, and value. Here are some of our most recent developments:

* Further improvements to our next generation network - helping our members get the fastest speeds their line can handle
* Investment in our member services team, making them amongst the best in the business
* Improvements to My Account - your online billing and customer service tool - making it easier and faster to access your bills and customer information
* Exclusive access to invitation only gigs, competitions and online content through the AOL portal

In order to continue providing a high level of service, reliability and value, we have to review our pricing from time to time. Changes to our other charges are listed at the end of this notification. For full details of our terms and conditions please click HERE.

We thank you for being an AOL Broadband customer. We hope you continue to enjoy all the benefits of your service.

Yours sincerely,

AOL Broadband

From 4th January 2011:

* The monthly fee that applies if you pay your bill using a one-off payment method (as opposed to having a Direct Debit or monthly recurring card payment set-up) will change to £4.50 per bill payment.
* The monthly fee that applies if you pay your bill by monthly recurring card (not Direct Debit) will change to £1.99 per bill payment.
* To avoid these charges you can move to Direct Debit, simply login to My Account by clicking HERE and select "Payments" under the "Billing and Payments" section of the menu.

Confused Now! frown
Am I likely to get another email saying... £19.99 ?

Zoe

Edited by Zoejoe (Mon 06-Dec-10 13:42:41)

Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Dec-10 13:42:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
You don't have to! Your email a/c is entirely separate from your BB. It is part of AOL Web Services, not AOL BB, which you can keep indefinitely.

I wouldn't take that as gospel now that they are a part of TT. The indications are that all parts of the group will be assimilated sooner or later.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Dec-10 13:46:48
Print Post

..... Because we have a B & B our email address is in all sorts of publications so changing it is not an option.....

Binding business email addresses to an ISP account is a basic and grave error. You really should be thinking of resolving this issue now.
Standard User nilrem
(committed) Mon 06-Dec-10 23:58:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zoejoe:
Confused Now! frown

Is your exchange unbundled? it might only be customers who only have BT equipment in their exchanges that are being charged more.
Ours is a small exchange with little chance of unbundling so it seems whoever I move too I will be stuffed!
Standard User bluesea
(committed) Tue 07-Dec-10 00:48:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by Deadbeat:

I wouldn't take that as gospel now that they are a part of TT. The indications are that all parts of the group will be assimilated sooner or later.

Does this mean that @aol.com e-mail addresses will soon become obsolete and won't work any more?!

Edited by bluesea (Tue 07-Dec-10 00:48:39)

Standard User bluesea
(committed) Tue 07-Dec-10 00:51:43
Print Post

I've always paid about £21.99 a month because I'm "on an old pricing plan". I was recently phoned up and offered the chance to get into a contract and have the price reduced to £19.99 per month but decided against it, as I didn't want to be tied into a contract for the sake of saving £2 per month.

I asked it it could go any lower than £19.99 and then I may consider going into a contract, and I was told that £19.99 was the cheapest price available on my exchange. My exchange is a small one which doesn't have LLU and relies on BT equipment, so I suppose that's what they mean. I won't be surprised if they try to increase what I pay from £21.99 to £24.99 or something stupid.

It'd be nice if it dropped to £19.99 though. tongue
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Dec-10 01:01:03
Print Post

[re: bluesea] [link to this post]

Pure speculation! History shows that even when ISPs are gobbled up, their email addys continue to live.

The fact is they still continue to work now even when you cease AOL BB.

Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Dec-10 01:49:34
Print Post

Pure speculation! History shows that even when ISPs are gobbled up, their email addys continue to live.

History shows that more ISP domain names are lost to ex customers than are kept! I can assure you that this is not speculation. Changes may not be made for a few years yet but they will be made.

The fact is they still continue to work now even when you cease AOL BB.

The emphasis there is on now.

The fact remains that whether or not assimilation is completed tomorrow or in 2 years time, binding a business to an ISP mail account is not desirable.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Dec-10 02:30:16
Print Post

No, the emphasis is on fact.

(newbie) Tue 07-Dec-10 07:00:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by Deadbeat:
..... Because we have a B & B our email address is in all sorts of publications so changing it is not an option.....

Binding business email addresses to an ISP account is a basic and grave error. You really should be thinking of resolving this issue now.

We only do B & B in a small way as we are retired so only a small business.
Don't really know what you mean by 'resolving the issue'
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Dec-10 09:23:40
Print Post

We only do B & B in a small way as we are retired so only a small business. Don't really know what you mean by 'resolving the issue'

If email is important to your business you should really buy a domain and hosting etc. It's not expensive and it would give you a web address of the form of www.mybusiness.co.uk or com etc and emails of the form of [email protected] or .com etc. Most deals allow for as many different email addresses as you want so you could use say [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] [email protected] etc etc.
It certainly looks more professional but the real boon is that any website and email addresses are totally independent of any ISP, meaning that you can move where you want without worry.

In many areas, financial help is available to businesses for this sort of thing but even if that doesn't apply to you, the possible savings made from a move of ISP might well pay for any domain/hosting outlay within the first year. For example, AOL now costs £19.99 per month - Depending upon who has a presence at your exchange, you could be paying as little as £7.50 per month for what's probably a better service.
Standard User Zoejoe
(member) Tue 07-Dec-10 13:45:23
Print Post

Hi smile

In reply to a post by Zoejoe:
Confused Now! frown

Is your exchange unbundled? it might only be customers who only have BT equipment in their exchanges that are being charged more.
Ours is a small exchange with little chance of unbundling so it seems whoever I move too I will be stuffed!

Mystery Solved!

Yep!
I'm On... AOL LLU wink

Thanks!

Zoe
(newbie) Wed 08-Dec-10 10:53:16
Print Post

Thanks a lot for your advice.
Many of the B & B publications that we are in have our AOL email as our main contact so that is the problem!
We are thinking of retiring completely soon so may just soldier on with AOL for a bit then give them the elbow!
Thanks again
Standard User Sunnyside
(newbie) Wed 29-Dec-10 09:13:18
Print Post

Here is my reply on this but on another related post

Sunnyside.

Ex-E7even customer.
Moved to AOL Silver (2006-08-09). 2008-09-18: AOL free regrade to ADSLmax (Now I get @1.7Mbps max & about what I used to get in the evenings!).

(committed) Thu 06-Jan-11 10:20:17
Print Post

[re: Sunnyside] [link to this post]

Well I had a reply from Aol re my complaint about the higher price but they were just not interested, in the past they were keen to keep customers but it seems that they are not now bothered about keeping loyal customers especially if one is unfortunate enough to be on a small country exchange with no chance of LLU.
Standard User Lucibee
(newbie) Sun 16-Jan-11 13:00:18
Print Post

I too am with AOL. But I only use it for the connection, so have blocked all non-AOL emails via their useless email system. However, I've only just discovered that this blocks all AOL payment and admin emails too, so I had no idea about the price rises until a couple of days ago when I got a nasty shock on my credit card statement for £21.98 (yes, and extra £2 surcharge too).

I immediately called them, and was told about the VAT increase. So I explained that they had increased my charges by 40%, and not 2.5%. Still told it was because of the VAT increase. So I put the phone down before I started shouting.

After I'd calmed down, I called again to ask for my MAC code, and was this time put through to their Ireland office. The customer services person (her name was Louise O'Connor - so do give her my "regards" if you ever speak to her) commiserated about the price increase and told me that it was all BT's fault for running a monopoly and stopping them having access to our exchange, the government's fault for increasing VAT, and the banks' fault for imposing additional charges. She then offered me another package at £14.99 for calls and broadband - although I explained I was already locked into a contract with BT for calls. I asked her to send me the full details anyway. The "full" details she sent were "£14.99 - calls + bb - 18 months".
So, no MAC code yet - more investigation to do.

Next, I called BT. They said that they have to pay the same prices as everyone else. They have to rent the line from BT Wholesale too.

So I called Ofcom. They told me about LLU, and that it is the ISP's responsibility to request unbundling, and that because of the costs involved, they are extremely unlikely to do so for small exchanges like mine. Oh joy!

I really wouldn't mind paying £22/month or more if I were getting a decent service and decent speeds. But I'm not, so I mind!

We need to start campaigning about this, folks. Opening up the market has meant that the gap between rural and urban broadband is set to increase in terms of costs and speed over the next few years. So if you don't want to continue paying well over the odds for a woeful connection, then we need to do something. Write to your MP. Ring up Ofcom and complain. Ring up your ISP and complain. Tell your friends and neighbours about the rotten deal they are getting (probably most haven't realised). Get ANGRY!
Standard User Lucibee
(newbie) Mon 17-Jan-11 19:42:26
Print Post

Keep calling them. I called them again today, and got my price reduced to what I was paying before. It helps if you ask to speak to a supervisor.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to