Technical Discussion
  >> Audio and Music Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Wed 19-Jun-19 17:23:12
Print Post

Free Sound Recorder

[link to this post]

For a few years very occasionally I used alittle programme called Free Sound Recorder. Kept handy on the desktop it produces instant MP3 of anything going through the sound card, be it dvd, flash drive or broadcast. It was very useful for recording a relative's interviews on regional radio for family members abroad and I had no particular concerns about it.

A couple of weeks ago I accepted download of the latest version and found my PC became slow to shut down and start, while an UPDATE label appeared at bottom of my screen and could not be removed except by restarting. Looking around for a replacement I found Wave Audio which claimed to be from a Californian company but turned out to have the same interface as the (Chinese) Free Sound Recorder.

It took Malwarebytes, Adaware and a search of folders to remove all the bits of this noxious piece of malware. Then I remembered I also had the excellent Audacity which does the same job but without the spying, intrusive labels and goodness knows what. Lesson learned, though most TBB readers will be aware of the perils of freeware.
  Print Thread

Jump to