Technical Discussion
  >> Audio and Music Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jabuzzard
(experienced) Mon 14-Dec-20 17:46:08
Print Post

Re: Anakogue audio to USB-C adaptor?

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

Take the phone with you? I would not want to leave any electronic device on display myself. Or use an old/cheap android exclusively as a media player.

How new is your van, if there are media remotes on the stick then there is a good chance they will operate the media player on the phone. Failing that the play/pause button on the main stereo should operate the media player on the phone. Does for me anyway.

The software preserves the location in I think the last 10 titles you are playing. These are held indefinite from memory, including a power cycle of the phone. There is variable auto rewind on pause, you can set what you want with the option of different length of rewinds on different lengths of pauses.

I have no idea if you can switch to mono, fix the speaker might be a better solution IMHO smile
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Dec-20 23:44:19
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

The old Bluetooth transmitter failed to pair with the van radio so back to the FM transmitter which was totally interference free all evening. If it stayed like that I seen no reason to look further.

But I will have a play with the Audio Book player apps you mention when I get a chance (maybe tomorrow) as that may well be the longer term solution.

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Dec-20 11:18:15
Print Post

Had a play with with the Simple ABP Free app this morning and have to say I am liking it. Signs that the developers are in tune (sic) with the way I like things is are the big Play / Pause / Skip buttons which are easier to use on the go especially with a gloved hand and the organisation of audio files strictly by one album / collection per folder (handles subfolders too which is good for multi-CD rips) which is the way I like things without the fripperies of Artist / Album / Genres metadata etc.

Seems to handle current play points the way I want, one per folder (collection / album) so I can skip from one to another and back again and not lose my place.

Tried playing through my living room radio as a proxy for the van radio and the remote Play / Pause / Skip buttons work the way I want them to to.

Now for the one but: I can't seem to get it to automatically skip back a number of seconds when I do a Pause / Play. If this is not actually possible then I will have to adjust my way of working, Manually skipping back a minute or so at the start of a shift when setting it up for the day I can cope with. Manually skipping back 10 seconds after every Pause / Play cycle every ten minutes or so (I work multi-drop) will take a bit more getting used to though using the van's physical skip back button makes it doable and even then only really needed when the presenter was in the middle of an interesting sentence rather than when in the middle of some music.

Will take it for a road test at work tomorrow and see how I get on. One other concern is any Bluetooth reconnection lag as I jump in and out the van and it not restarting playback until I am back in the van and started the engine and not just near it (a problem I had the other day).

Don't think I will be using it for my extensive podcast collection though which has its own special needs regarding subscriptions and auto-downloads etc. I tend to play those at work as a break from the recorded radio programmes and when I can play them in one "sitting" or at least with only a couple of interruptions.

(BTW I forgot to mention that I recently did upgrade to a modern smartphone after seven years and already bunged a 256GB SD card in with about a quarter of that already taken up with my music collection and set all my apps to use the card rather than internal memory where possible.)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jabuzzard
(experienced) Tue 15-Dec-20 12:48:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by gomezz:
Now for the one but: I can't seem to get it to automatically skip back a number of seconds when I do a Pause / Play. If this is not actually possible then I will have to adjust my way of working, Manually skipping back a minute or so at the start of a shift when setting it up for the day I can cope with

It might be a full version feature, but I think you get 30 days trial. It's so long since I purchased it I can't remember. However it is definitely possible because it works for me.

It should be under settings, in the playback menu. There is an "auto-rewind" setting which can be off, small or medium. I have it set to medium so I get up to 30s of rewind depending how long it's been paused. You want more context the next day than after a quick hands free phone call for example.
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Dec-20 17:06:41
Print Post

The only relevant option I can find is "Reduce the length of time that is repeated after pause". That is currently unchecked and only seems to give a second or two. If the road test tomorrow goes well otherwise I will will look into going full-fat and seeing if that give me more flexibility in that area.

One annoyance after playing with it for a while is that the history of recent play points built up with a load of rubbish that I wanted to get rid of. The only way I could find to do this was play the last file in the folder to the end which then let me "Forget" that playpoint and had to repeat that for each item in the list. Bit of a faff.

Edited by gomezz (Tue 15-Dec-20 17:10:46)

Standard User jabuzzard
(experienced) Tue 15-Dec-20 19:51:07
Print Post

Did you install "Smart AudioBook Player" or "Simple AudioBook Player"?

The one I use is "Smart AudioBook Player".

Note a useful tip with Smart AudioBook Player is you can drop a file called ".nomedia" in the folder your "audiobooks" are in and they then don't show up in your normal music player
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Dec-20 22:47:39
Print Post

Ah! Totally missed that you mentioned two different apps. As I have Simple ABP Free currently installed and familiarised with will stay with that for a road test tomorrow.

Will give Smart ABP a go on Friday and will see which one I prefer.

(Thursday will be streaming test match cricket on chase-play from BBC Sounds)

Edited by gomezz (Tue 15-Dec-20 22:48:30)

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Dec-20 20:22:54
Print Post

That went very well testing on a couple of my usual drive time compilation albums. smile

Much less of a faff letting the Bluetooth connection handle the auto-pause that happens with these vans when selecting reverse or opening the driver door than remembering to have to do it manually on the old PMP.

A bit of a Pause/Play glitch when selecting Drive, Park or Park Brake but I guess that is down to the van and will be the same whatever app I use.

Bluetooth reconnection lag not noticeable certainly no worse than waiting for an old van radio to be ready to play from an aux input.

Battery life on phone acceptable down to 50% at the end of a ten hour shift still enough to spend an evening in the pub with afterwards (If such a thing was currently possible).

Installed Smart ABP app and will copy over my recorded radio programmes to play tomorrow afternoon after I have finished listening to the cricket.

Edited by gomezz (Wed 16-Dec-20 20:26:37)

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Dec-20 23:22:46
Print Post

Just as a side note in Smart ABP there is an option for mono mode in the Equaliser settings. smile

Standard User jabuzzard
(experienced) Wed 16-Dec-20 23:25:01
Print Post

It's come a long way over the last 20 years when we where using MP3 CD players with a cassette adaptor. I then switched to using a combination of a car stereo with an MP3 CD player and the portable one. Then I was using the car MP3 and a flash MP3 player. I think my brother used an FM transmitter for a while.

Getting a smartphone 10 years ago was the big change bring it on the phone and use bluetooth. Funny that 20 years ago I thought bluetooth on a phone was a waste of time.

I also use a Plantronics M70 bluetooth headset when out and about. Gives a decent 11 hours playback time. Sure it's one ear only but I am listening to audiobooks mostly which are by there very nature mono. Not so good for radio plays though.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to