Technical Discussion
  >> Audio and Music Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Dec-20 23:34:19
Print Post

Re: Anakogue audio to USB-C adaptor?

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

Like all these quantum shifts in technology you have to fight the urge against things being done differently to what you are used to. Remembering that is easier for us humans to to adapt the last mile to how something new works rather than forcing the new to work exactly like the old.

But it will be a shame to retire my dear old Clippy which has served me well to provide company over many years alone on the road. frown

(it may still be a fallback for those occasions when I get allocated an old van as a temporary replacement for one of the new ones gone in for a service and has no Bluetooth on the radio)

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)

Edited by gomezz (Wed 16-Dec-20 23:39:27)

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Dec-20 21:54:21
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

Tried the Smart ABP app today and all went swimmingly with it. It did not even have the Pause/Play on gear select glitch I experienced using the other app but I am reserving judgement that it may be the particular van with the problem (too busy to get round to trying the other app on today's van). The variable auto-rewind feature works well.

But I am experiencing the annoyance of what seems to be a more universal problem with Bluetooth auto-play if this evening's googlings are anything to go by: When using another app (in this case BBC Sounds) and having that pause when I get out the van and lose BT connection then when I get back to the van and it reconnects it resumes playing Smart ABP rather than BBC Sounds. TBH that is a bit of pain in the posterior as it means getting the phone out to manually get it to resume playback of the right app.

I am astonished that what seems like such a huge bugbear in BT has been allowed to continue for so many years. Do they really think users only ever use one app for playing media? I have a home screen on my phone stuffed with them. Or is it that these various apps do not all tell the OS that they are the current media player and should be the one to handle the BT Play event that is generated on connection?

Wondering if a workaround is to leave the phone in the van when using BBC Sounds so it stays connected to BT though need to be careful when and where I do that and maybe hide the phone out of sight.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Dec-20 10:41:46
Print Post

Wondering if a workaround is to leave the phone in the van when using BBC Sounds so it stays connected to BT though need to be careful when and where I do that and maybe hide the phone out of sight.
Are you leaving the van running when you leave it? If not then I suspect the headend will turn off and disconnect bluetooth anyway.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mking90031
(regular) Fri 18-Dec-20 10:45:15
Print Post

@gomezz,

IMHO, it could depend on the age of your phone. If it's several years old then it might worth upgrading to a newer phone that will have better BT connectivity. If it's only a year or two then you might well have a point...

HTH,

Mark King MCP
www.mark-king-basingstoke.co.uk
Virginmedia M600 794.99 Mbps Down & 36.92 Mbps Up (according to Speed test on XBox 13/12/20)
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Dec-20 13:34:12
Print Post

[re: mking90031] [link to this post]

It is a brand new phone, current latest model.

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Dec-20 13:40:14
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

You may be right. Found an option In Debug Settings to stop Smart ABP auto-playing on connection. But if that means then having to manually restart play after returning to the van then that loses one of the advantages of doing it this way.

That it is amongst the debug settings seems to indicate that the app developers recognise this is a problem.

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Dec-20 11:10:03
Print Post

Setting that option did not stop the app grabbing the auto-connect Play event. Had to manually Pause / Play media in the app I am actually using which means leaving it in the van cradle for convenience. But that is the same as what I was doing before when connected using an aux kead.

Had a look round and there are some apps which claim to handle Bluetooth Autoplay but none of them are rated highly. As I said before, I find it hard to believe that this is not a burning issue that someone, somewhere has not come up with a solution for.

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Dec-20 12:05:54
Print Post

One workaround seems to be to Force Stop the SMart ABP app but this is a bit of a kludge.

But seen there is an app called tasker which may let me automate this when when I close the app. And I would would need to also do that for my podcatcher app which seems to be next in line to grab the BT Play Event.

Standard User jabuzzard
(experienced) Sat 19-Dec-20 18:39:42
Print Post

If your phone has NFC (which most of them do now) then you might be able to do something with that. You can get cheap NFC tags online. I have one sitting in my phone cradle in the car which causes WiFi to be turned off, Bluetooth to be turned on etc.
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Dec-20 21:33:23
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

Don't see how that helps. I want BT turned on permanently. It is what happens next after the phone reconnects over BT to the van radio that is the problem.

Your solution may be suited better to those whose problems is actually stopping BT autoplay activating when they do not want it to every time they get back in their car.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to