Technical Discussion
  >> Audio and Music Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Dec-20 23:15:41
Print Post

Anakogue audio to USB-C adaptor?

[link to this post]

Does such a thing exist? I don't mean an adaptor that works the other way which are ten a penny.

We have just taken delivery of some new work vans which stupidly do not have an analogue audio aux input which I rely on to play music from my old PMP (Rockbox'd Sansa Clip+). I have been using an FM transmitter the past few days but this evening was getting slight but irritating interference on the frequency I normally use. The new van radio does not let you manually scan the FM frequency range to find a better option so it is a case of suck it and see.

So my other options are a Bluetooth transmitter - I have one of those but I think it may be broken as it does not connect very easily if at all - Buying a new transmitter may be the answer there.

Or, switch to using a Rocker PMP I have to hand which has Bluetooth built in but the battery life does not last a whole working day and when running Rockbox on it loses Bluetooth support anyway.

Or, see if I can use the USB-C input on the van radio to play from my old PMP using a suitable adaptor if such a thing exists.

Or, play from my smartphone but again I lose the wonders and advantages of Rockbox doing that and having to wait for it to reconnect every time I get back in the van is a pain and I do not like leaving the phone in the van while unattended.

Am I on a fruitless search and should concentrate on the Bluetooth transmitter solution?

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Sun 13-Dec-20 23:23:45
Print Post

Re: Anakogue audio to USB-C adaptor?

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

They certainly exist -- for example. How well they work, I could not say. Get some advice from a store like Richer Sounds.

Edit: You will need a USB-A to USB-C adapter.

'Sir, please,' she said ... 'Will you not share your wisdom with us?'
'I have no wisdom,' he told her.
'Your experiences, then?'
'They have been trivial, uninteresting, and full of error.'
Iain M. Banks -- Feersum Endjinn

Edited by micksharpe (Sun 13-Dec-20 23:25:03)

Standard User billford
(elder) Sun 13-Dec-20 23:35:19
Print Post

They exist... at least, they used to. I had one when I was ripping a load of vinyl into mp4 some years ago.

Can't for the life of me remember who made it or even where I got it... I'll see if I can find it.

eta- just seen Mick's reply... yes, you'll likely need an adaptor!

Bill

Edited by billford (Sun 13-Dec-20 23:38:04)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Davey_H
(regular) Mon 14-Dec-20 06:27:52
Print Post

Audio interfaces/capture devices like mentioned above aren't going to work on your Vans USB input since they usually require drivers and recording software...
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Dec-20 09:34:02
Print Post

[re: Davey_H] [link to this post]

Thanks for the pointers everyone. As I feared the devices suggested which are intended to plug into a computer will not work with the van's USB input.

Better news is that I finally managed to get my old Bluetooth transmitter to connect to a portable device. It seems it does not like being in the living room with a lot of TV devices causing interference that overpowers its signal - I suspect the Youview box. Battery life is not brilliant but thinking that it would last a short evening shift while I continue to use the FM transmitter during a day shift when atmospheric conditions do not allow out of area interference to intrude.

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Dec-20 09:52:55
Print Post

Another option which has occurred to me is to put my music on a USB-C memory stick and rely on the van radio player to handle the playback. Again I would be losing Rockboxability and don't want to go down this route if the van player does not maintain bookmarks / play points across sessions and shifts. I perhaps should mention that I am normally listening to recordings of three hour radio programmes and want to pick up where I left off last time. It would also mean having to keep the play point manually synced with my PMP which I would still want to use when out for a walk etc.

Standard User haydnwalker
(newbie) Mon 14-Dec-20 11:38:32
Print Post

I would go for that option - quality will be much better. However a normal USB Stick with a USB A -> USB-C adaptor will also work fine smile I haven't seen many USB-C USB Sticks (that isn't to say they don't exist though smile )

Regards,
Haydn
Standard User jabuzzard
(experienced) Mon 14-Dec-20 11:46:04
Print Post

I and my siblings have been using audiobooks and other spoke word audio such as radio plays in various formats now for over 20 years. During that time we have been through several iterations of digital playback technology, till we have arrived at our current solution.

My strong recommendation is to stick a large microSD card into your smartphone (assuming you have a smartphone and not been suckered by Apple), use a piece of software called "Smart AudioBook Player", and then hook this to your car/van stereo with Bluetooth. The full version of Smart AudioBook Player only costs $2. A SanDisk 128GB microSD card is only £20 on the WesternDigital store (you are buying direct from the manufacture and avoiding the possibility of get a fake card).

The other option is "Simple AudioBook Player", it's completely free but doesn't do covers, which may or may not be a plus.

The microSD card will hold dozens of audiobooks, radioplays, podcasts etc and with it being in your phone you can take it anywhere you go so the sync problem goes away. We are keenly awaiting the following app so that we can sync all our audiobooks down to our phone in an "audible like" fashion from our Plex server.

https://www.bookcamp.app/

However I think the smartphone as the playback device is the way forward. We have been doing that for a decade now, and while the software we use on the phone has changed and will hopefully change again, the use of the phone as the playback device won't.
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Dec-20 17:09:09
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

Very interesting information. All good apart from me not wanting to leave my smartphone in a work van while unattended. Another point which I have not mentioned before is that I prefer to use a device which has a physical Play / Pause button which I can operate by feel with a gloved handed. My experience with auto-play in car mode has so far not been a happy one. And does the software you use preserve bookmarks and play points across different sessions and days? Does it allow you switch to mono mode for those occasions when one of the van radio speakers is duff? Or have auto-rewind when Play/Pausing or Stop/Starting so you can regain context when suspending playback in the middle of someone saying something?

BTW I made a whoopsy in trying to get my old Bluetooth transmitter working. I forgot that the living room radio I was testing it with was newer than when I last used the transmitter so I had not paired them up. Now working so will give it a trial run in the van this evening.

Edited by gomezz (Mon 14-Dec-20 17:14:20)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Dec-20 17:39:27
Print Post

Do you have a manual for the head unit in the van that details what inputs it can take? That may give an idea of other available options.
Standard User jabuzzard
(experienced) Mon 14-Dec-20 17:46:08
Print Post

Take the phone with you? I would not want to leave any electronic device on display myself. Or use an old/cheap android exclusively as a media player.

How new is your van, if there are media remotes on the stick then there is a good chance they will operate the media player on the phone. Failing that the play/pause button on the main stereo should operate the media player on the phone. Does for me anyway.

The software preserves the location in I think the last 10 titles you are playing. These are held indefinite from memory, including a power cycle of the phone. There is variable auto rewind on pause, you can set what you want with the option of different length of rewinds on different lengths of pauses.

I have no idea if you can switch to mono, fix the speaker might be a better solution IMHO smile
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Dec-20 23:44:19
Print Post

The old Bluetooth transmitter failed to pair with the van radio so back to the FM transmitter which was totally interference free all evening. If it stayed like that I seen no reason to look further.

But I will have a play with the Audio Book player apps you mention when I get a chance (maybe tomorrow) as that may well be the longer term solution.

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Dec-20 11:18:15
Print Post

Had a play with with the Simple ABP Free app this morning and have to say I am liking it. Signs that the developers are in tune (sic) with the way I like things is are the big Play / Pause / Skip buttons which are easier to use on the go especially with a gloved hand and the organisation of audio files strictly by one album / collection per folder (handles subfolders too which is good for multi-CD rips) which is the way I like things without the fripperies of Artist / Album / Genres metadata etc.

Seems to handle current play points the way I want, one per folder (collection / album) so I can skip from one to another and back again and not lose my place.

Tried playing through my living room radio as a proxy for the van radio and the remote Play / Pause / Skip buttons work the way I want them to to.

Now for the one but: I can't seem to get it to automatically skip back a number of seconds when I do a Pause / Play. If this is not actually possible then I will have to adjust my way of working, Manually skipping back a minute or so at the start of a shift when setting it up for the day I can cope with. Manually skipping back 10 seconds after every Pause / Play cycle every ten minutes or so (I work multi-drop) will take a bit more getting used to though using the van's physical skip back button makes it doable and even then only really needed when the presenter was in the middle of an interesting sentence rather than when in the middle of some music.

Will take it for a road test at work tomorrow and see how I get on. One other concern is any Bluetooth reconnection lag as I jump in and out the van and it not restarting playback until I am back in the van and started the engine and not just near it (a problem I had the other day).

Don't think I will be using it for my extensive podcast collection though which has its own special needs regarding subscriptions and auto-downloads etc. I tend to play those at work as a break from the recorded radio programmes and when I can play them in one "sitting" or at least with only a couple of interruptions.

(BTW I forgot to mention that I recently did upgrade to a modern smartphone after seven years and already bunged a 256GB SD card in with about a quarter of that already taken up with my music collection and set all my apps to use the card rather than internal memory where possible.)

Standard User jabuzzard
(experienced) Tue 15-Dec-20 12:48:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by gomezz:
Now for the one but: I can't seem to get it to automatically skip back a number of seconds when I do a Pause / Play. If this is not actually possible then I will have to adjust my way of working, Manually skipping back a minute or so at the start of a shift when setting it up for the day I can cope with

It might be a full version feature, but I think you get 30 days trial. It's so long since I purchased it I can't remember. However it is definitely possible because it works for me.

It should be under settings, in the playback menu. There is an "auto-rewind" setting which can be off, small or medium. I have it set to medium so I get up to 30s of rewind depending how long it's been paused. You want more context the next day than after a quick hands free phone call for example.
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Dec-20 17:06:41
Print Post

The only relevant option I can find is "Reduce the length of time that is repeated after pause". That is currently unchecked and only seems to give a second or two. If the road test tomorrow goes well otherwise I will will look into going full-fat and seeing if that give me more flexibility in that area.

One annoyance after playing with it for a while is that the history of recent play points built up with a load of rubbish that I wanted to get rid of. The only way I could find to do this was play the last file in the folder to the end which then let me "Forget" that playpoint and had to repeat that for each item in the list. Bit of a faff.

Edited by gomezz (Tue 15-Dec-20 17:10:46)

Standard User jabuzzard
(experienced) Tue 15-Dec-20 19:51:07
Print Post

Did you install "Smart AudioBook Player" or "Simple AudioBook Player"?

The one I use is "Smart AudioBook Player".

Note a useful tip with Smart AudioBook Player is you can drop a file called ".nomedia" in the folder your "audiobooks" are in and they then don't show up in your normal music player
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Dec-20 22:47:39
Print Post

Ah! Totally missed that you mentioned two different apps. As I have Simple ABP Free currently installed and familiarised with will stay with that for a road test tomorrow.

Will give Smart ABP a go on Friday and will see which one I prefer.

(Thursday will be streaming test match cricket on chase-play from BBC Sounds)

Edited by gomezz (Tue 15-Dec-20 22:48:30)

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Dec-20 20:22:54
Print Post

That went very well testing on a couple of my usual drive time compilation albums. smile

Much less of a faff letting the Bluetooth connection handle the auto-pause that happens with these vans when selecting reverse or opening the driver door than remembering to have to do it manually on the old PMP.

A bit of a Pause/Play glitch when selecting Drive, Park or Park Brake but I guess that is down to the van and will be the same whatever app I use.

Bluetooth reconnection lag not noticeable certainly no worse than waiting for an old van radio to be ready to play from an aux input.

Battery life on phone acceptable down to 50% at the end of a ten hour shift still enough to spend an evening in the pub with afterwards (If such a thing was currently possible).

Installed Smart ABP app and will copy over my recorded radio programmes to play tomorrow afternoon after I have finished listening to the cricket.

Edited by gomezz (Wed 16-Dec-20 20:26:37)

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Dec-20 23:22:46
Print Post

Just as a side note in Smart ABP there is an option for mono mode in the Equaliser settings. smile

Standard User jabuzzard
(experienced) Wed 16-Dec-20 23:25:01
Print Post

It's come a long way over the last 20 years when we where using MP3 CD players with a cassette adaptor. I then switched to using a combination of a car stereo with an MP3 CD player and the portable one. Then I was using the car MP3 and a flash MP3 player. I think my brother used an FM transmitter for a while.

Getting a smartphone 10 years ago was the big change bring it on the phone and use bluetooth. Funny that 20 years ago I thought bluetooth on a phone was a waste of time.

I also use a Plantronics M70 bluetooth headset when out and about. Gives a decent 11 hours playback time. Sure it's one ear only but I am listening to audiobooks mostly which are by there very nature mono. Not so good for radio plays though.
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Dec-20 23:34:19
Print Post

Like all these quantum shifts in technology you have to fight the urge against things being done differently to what you are used to. Remembering that is easier for us humans to to adapt the last mile to how something new works rather than forcing the new to work exactly like the old.

But it will be a shame to retire my dear old Clippy which has served me well to provide company over many years alone on the road. frown

(it may still be a fallback for those occasions when I get allocated an old van as a temporary replacement for one of the new ones gone in for a service and has no Bluetooth on the radio)

Edited by gomezz (Wed 16-Dec-20 23:39:27)

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Dec-20 21:54:21
Print Post

Tried the Smart ABP app today and all went swimmingly with it. It did not even have the Pause/Play on gear select glitch I experienced using the other app but I am reserving judgement that it may be the particular van with the problem (too busy to get round to trying the other app on today's van). The variable auto-rewind feature works well.

But I am experiencing the annoyance of what seems to be a more universal problem with Bluetooth auto-play if this evening's googlings are anything to go by: When using another app (in this case BBC Sounds) and having that pause when I get out the van and lose BT connection then when I get back to the van and it reconnects it resumes playing Smart ABP rather than BBC Sounds. TBH that is a bit of pain in the posterior as it means getting the phone out to manually get it to resume playback of the right app.

I am astonished that what seems like such a huge bugbear in BT has been allowed to continue for so many years. Do they really think users only ever use one app for playing media? I have a home screen on my phone stuffed with them. Or is it that these various apps do not all tell the OS that they are the current media player and should be the one to handle the BT Play event that is generated on connection?

Wondering if a workaround is to leave the phone in the van when using BBC Sounds so it stays connected to BT though need to be careful when and where I do that and maybe hide the phone out of sight.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Dec-20 10:41:46
Print Post

Wondering if a workaround is to leave the phone in the van when using BBC Sounds so it stays connected to BT though need to be careful when and where I do that and maybe hide the phone out of sight.
Are you leaving the van running when you leave it? If not then I suspect the headend will turn off and disconnect bluetooth anyway.
Standard User mking90031
(regular) Fri 18-Dec-20 10:45:15
Print Post

@gomezz,

IMHO, it could depend on the age of your phone. If it's several years old then it might worth upgrading to a newer phone that will have better BT connectivity. If it's only a year or two then you might well have a point...

HTH,

Mark King MCP
www.mark-king-basingstoke.co.uk
Virginmedia M600 794.99 Mbps Down & 36.92 Mbps Up (according to Speed test on XBox 13/12/20)
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Dec-20 13:34:12
Print Post

[re: mking90031] [link to this post]

It is a brand new phone, current latest model.

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Dec-20 13:40:14
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

You may be right. Found an option In Debug Settings to stop Smart ABP auto-playing on connection. But if that means then having to manually restart play after returning to the van then that loses one of the advantages of doing it this way.

That it is amongst the debug settings seems to indicate that the app developers recognise this is a problem.

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Dec-20 11:10:03
Print Post

Setting that option did not stop the app grabbing the auto-connect Play event. Had to manually Pause / Play media in the app I am actually using which means leaving it in the van cradle for convenience. But that is the same as what I was doing before when connected using an aux kead.

Had a look round and there are some apps which claim to handle Bluetooth Autoplay but none of them are rated highly. As I said before, I find it hard to believe that this is not a burning issue that someone, somewhere has not come up with a solution for.

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Dec-20 12:05:54
Print Post

One workaround seems to be to Force Stop the SMart ABP app but this is a bit of a kludge.

But seen there is an app called tasker which may let me automate this when when I close the app. And I would would need to also do that for my podcatcher app which seems to be next in line to grab the BT Play Event.

Standard User jabuzzard
(experienced) Sat 19-Dec-20 18:39:42
Print Post

If your phone has NFC (which most of them do now) then you might be able to do something with that. You can get cheap NFC tags online. I have one sitting in my phone cradle in the car which causes WiFi to be turned off, Bluetooth to be turned on etc.
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Dec-20 21:33:23
Print Post

Don't see how that helps. I want BT turned on permanently. It is what happens next after the phone reconnects over BT to the van radio that is the problem.

Your solution may be suited better to those whose problems is actually stopping BT autoplay activating when they do not want it to every time they get back in their car.

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Dec-20 11:43:18
Print Post

I think the one thing missing from Smart ABP that I would appreciate is the ability to view the track/chapter listing within each album/book/folder. But that is more of a Beach Boys than a Michael Jackson feature and I can manage without using the File Manager app if necessary.

Standard User jabuzzard
(experienced) Thu 24-Dec-20 14:17:51
Print Post

The point of the NFC tags is you can have your phone do all sorts of things. I was just listing some examples.

One of my gribes about Smart Audio Book Player is that every "audiobook" has to be in a folder of its own even when your "audiobook" is a single .m4b file.

Edited by jabuzzard (Thu 24-Dec-20 19:26:12)

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Dec-20 18:07:20
Print Post

It seems for my bugbear that an NFC tag would not be able to Force Stop recalcitrant (I hesitate to say they are misbehaving) apps that don't let go of the BT re-connection auto play event when closed as Android is naturally does not want this to be an automatable process for obvious reasons. But what Android (and iOS too it appears) need to do is pay better attention to what is the current media player when handling the BT re-connecton play event. I have still not found any explanation as to why such a big fat squishy bug has been allowed to thrive for so long.

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Dec-20 00:56:26
Print Post

Ah, hah! Just browsing the Help section and found that a Long Press of the previous or next chapter (file) control pops up a list of chapters (files) in the book (folder).

Had a UI / OS update of my Samsung phone today which in the process trashed my Smart ABP saved playpoints. Luckily I more or less knew where I was within each of the four main playlists I am using.

Standard User billford
(elder) Tue 29-Dec-20 09:18:30
Print Post

Ah, hah! Just browsing the Help section ...
A sign of real desperation, that is tongue

Bill
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Dec-20 15:42:47
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Just Lockdown Loosendery. :/

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Dec-20 15:56:20
Print Post

Next potential project is replacing my twenty year old AV receiver which has lost its centre channel amp so it is now limping along in four channel stereo mode while I decide if and what to replace it with: Budget, mid-range or something more up-market.

What surprises me is that you can't easily select an alternate audio input from the video input which is something I sometimes do for example to listen to TMS (time-delayed recording on a PVR) while watching the cricket on another source device. Finally figured out that if I use my existing HDMI/optical switch as just as an optical audio switch and use its output as if it were the TV optical audio output then I can select audio and video sources independently.

The other requirement which seems poorly supported is analogue audio line-level output to feed my RF wireless headphones but figured I can bypass any new receiver completely and stick with my manual SCART switch box which splits off an analogue audio feed.

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 31-Dec-20 20:03:04
Print Post

Ah well! Turning this OS shortcoming to my advantage by being able to play a shortish podcast that will finish before my next stop and means I only have to Pause / Play using the van radio controls to resume playback of the radio programme without having to pull over and manually fiddle with the phone screen.

Standard User billford
(elder) Thu 31-Dec-20 21:54:11
Print Post

Ah well! Turning this OS shortcoming to my advantage
That's what turns a bug into a feature smile

Bill
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Jan-21 12:28:07
Print Post

Doh! If I close down SABP by using its own Exit command on its menu then it relinquishes control of the auto-play event as a well behaved app should do. Not sure If an app gets the chance to do a tidy closedown if done direct from the home screen to swipe it away. I guess not though other apps seem to do so. Worth raising with the developers?

But now I know I am much happier. smile

Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Sun 03-Jan-21 12:49:55
Print Post

gomez

My better half says it sounds like you need a (modern) cassette player with a USB output on!

Now apparently coming back into fashion!
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Jan-21 13:13:15
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Or I could go the whole hog and get John Lennon's in-car record player installed! laugh

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Jan-21 22:12:32
Print Post

And a very prompt response from the developer who suggested changing the "decoder" in the debugging section of settings. I always shy away from anything that says debugging these days (bug-shy after a career in IT) but it does say in there that changing the decoder can fix various problems including Bluetooth playback control. So, right on the money and it is now working perfectly. smile

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 07-Jan-21 20:34:05
Print Post

Been having problems with slow reconnection of BT when returning to the van this week which is only resolved by deleting and repairing my phone with the van radio. Given there are other problems when in the yard close by other of the van's to which I have paired my phone and other drivers who have paired their phones to the van I am in in that day the best plan seems to be to delete the van radio pairing after each shift and repair at the start of the next shift.

When you get into anything more complicated than one device only ever talking to one other device then BT really is a pile of poo! frown

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 09-Jan-21 12:29:35
Print Post

Made the decision to go back to the SABP decoder which does not relinquish control of the BT auto-play event unless you exit the app gracefully as the bug / feature thus activated is useful for resuming playback of my main playlist after listening to a podcast with another app.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to