General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Boomish
(newbie) Fri 21-Sep-18 23:31:40
Print Post

VM SH3 solutions to 100% pacer loss?

[link to this post]

Iíve checked my ip, my BQM is showing almost permanently red 100 packet loss, Iíve been on the Virgin forum but no help. The firmware is 91.116.608so I thinks the latest fixed version, but we get a very intermittent speed, is there anything I can do?
Appreciate any help..
I canít afford a router replacement & modem mode at the moment..

My Broadband Ping"]Yesterday

My Broadband Ping"]Today
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 22-Sep-18 09:34:10
Print Post

Re: VM SH3 solutions to 100% pacer loss?

[re: Boomish] [link to this post]

Ping behaviour of the SH3 is probably not related to the intermittent speeds

Since 100% packet loss would usually mean zero speed if it was real

Ignoring BQM what does virgin say about the speeds?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Boomish
(newbie) Mon 24-Sep-18 19:28:50
Print Post

Re: VM SH3 solutions to 100% packet loss?

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

VM forums have been apologetic but say the normal check list =
"Pop the hub into Modem Mode with the computer in Safe Mode with Networking at different times of the day.
Try on separate devices.
Check Ethernet cable. Make sure it is new / up to date. (Cat 5e or above).
Make sure device is capable of agreed speed.
Check wireless card slide."

I can't see how any of these things will help solve the BQM show massive packet loss, I have multiple computers at home they all experience lag now & again. plus the times of packet loss are strange, the latest was 10pm until 12:30 pm the next day, I can only think it might be my backup - Backblaze operating at these times but thats not scheduled it's an incremental backup operating all hours. There are lots of others complain with exactly the same problem on the Virgin forum, the only solution it seems is to put it into monitor mode and use an alternate router..
I just wondered if anyone else knew on here whats the best plan to fix this random packet loss.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Sep-18 19:39:50
Print Post

Re: VM SH3 solutions to 100% packet loss?

[re: Boomish] [link to this post]

First thing you MUST do is confirm whether packets are being lost, or simply the SuperHub is delaying its responses so long that BQM counts them as lost.

i.e. verify the latency behaviour by doing some pings, since if the packet loss was real like shown, then you would have no internet connectivity during that time.

The issue if as I suspect that you are not really losing packets but the Intel Puma chip being the root cause will only be resolved with fixes to the chipset in the router, or bypassing using modem mode.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to