General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Natty
(newbie) Sun 22-Sep-19 01:57:30
Print Post

Vodafone Superfast 2 IP Address Keeps Changing

[link to this post]

Hi, i recently joined Vodafone from Origin Broadband & all seems to have settled down ok over the past few weeks apart from one nuisance issue. They keep changing my IP adress every few days which makes having to keep setting up a BQM annoying.

Im aware that the IP is dynamic, it was on Origin & every other broadband company i have been with over the years. But the frequency of it changing was rare.

Out with the old graph (again) https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

& in with another (for a few days)
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

In fact my old Origin Broadband BQM is still working despite having switched over at the beginning of the month

Edited by Natty (Sun 22-Sep-19 02:03:21)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 22-Sep-19 09:51:15
Print Post

Re: Vodafone Superfast 2 IP Address Keeps Changing

[re: Natty] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Natty:
In fact my old Origin Broadband BQM is still working despite having switched over at the beginning of the month
That will probably/certainly be someone else’s connection that your old BQM is pinging now.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 22-Sep-19 09:54:38
Print Post

Hi, i recently joined Vodafone from Origin Broadband & all seems to have settled down ok over the past few weeks apart from one nuisance issue. They keep changing my IP adress every few days which makes having to keep setting up a BQM annoying.

If the Vodafone router supports dynamic DNS, set up one of these and then point the BQM at the name. This works well for me.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19), 47/6 (Aug/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Natty
(newbie) Sun 22-Sep-19 16:46:41
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
That will probably/certainly be someone else’s connection that your old BQM is pinging now.

There was no break in the graph from the point of my line being taken over by Vodafone. Its always remained active, even though the broadband connection from Origin stopped working during the switch overnight. So i dont know how this is possible. .

Standard User Natty
(newbie) Sun 22-Sep-19 16:52:47
Print Post

I should have pointed out that im not using the Vodafone supplied router, instead im using my TP Link VR2600 which i also used on Origin.

Under Advanced / System Tools / Administration

Local Management
Port 80

Remote Management *Enabled
Port 80

ICMP Ping
Remote *Ticked
Local *Ticked

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 22-Sep-19 17:17:03
Print Post

There was no break in the graph from the point of my line being taken over by Vodafone. Its always remained active, even though the broadband connection from Origin stopped working during the switch overnight. So i dont know how this is possible.

When your connection was moved over to your new provider your connection would of dropped and then resynced up to your new provider.

Your IP would of also changed with the move over, like others have said the reason the BQM is still working on the old IP is due to somebody else being given your old IP, so you need to stop that BQM and update its IP to match your new IP Address then restart it.

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast Fibre 2 Plus + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest (Single Threaded) | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User Natty
(newbie) Sun 22-Sep-19 22:57:56
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

The internet connection did drop overnight during the switch to Vodafone but the BQM for Origin just kept going. Id expect there to have been a break in the graph at this point showing red (ignore the red spike that also happened the days before)

3rd Oct Switch https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

Edited by Natty (Sun 22-Sep-19 22:58:46)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 22-Sep-19 23:07:28
Print Post

Maybe it went to somebody else long before that and you never noticed at the time that your actual address was then different? That it hasn't been your line/router being pinged at all, but somebody else's who happens to have ping enabled, and had set up a BQM on it during the time you didn't realise.

As far as I know there is nothing in the BQM system to stop any number of users pinging the same IP address. For example some ping the BBC servers or various DNS servers.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 22-Sep-19 23:08:40)

Print Thread

Jump to