General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Zythee
(newbie) Sun 01-Mar-20 09:25:05
Print Post

Spikes of 85% packet loss. Often over night.

[link to this post]

Can anyone help me diagnose what's happening with my connection?

https://imgur.com/a/qKUzCPH

I'm on virgin media fibre. They've sent an engineer to me 3 times and I've had my hub replaced twice, along with most of my cables, which seems to have had no impact.
The last engineer also said he moved me onto a seperate switch in a cabinet, which again has made no difference.
What should I be asking them to do? It is ruining my gaming in the evening and occasionally voip conversations drop out.
Many thanks for any help.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 01-Mar-20 09:52:34
Print Post

Re: Spikes of 85% packet loss. Often over night.

[re: Zythee] [link to this post]

Those are not spikes but a consistent packet loss pattern that are indications of heavy congestion hence the corresponding rise in the average latency

May be nothing wrong with the cable connection itself over than lots of people using lots of bandwidth in the area

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zythee
(newbie) Sun 01-Mar-20 12:51:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks MrSaffron - helpful to get advice from someone who knows more than me! smile

Does that mean, in your opinion, the only solution is to change ISP?
Or is there something I can ask Virgin to do to reduce the traffic on my connection?

It seems really strange to me that it gets worst at midnight - I would have thought most people would be asleep and not using the connection at that time?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 01-Mar-20 12:56:26
Print Post

While lots of people goto bed, people queuing up material on bittorrents will leave the machine downloading and uploading.

If others on street/area see similar issues then a change of ISP or wait until Virgin Media upgrade capacity or the few people have finished archiving the internet

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 01-Mar-20 13:35:46
Print Post

Do you do any regular backups to the cloud? I expect you don't, but just checking smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User Zythee
(newbie) Sun 01-Mar-20 13:48:49
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Nope, no regular cloud backups.

If it is someone queuing bit torrents they've been doing it for a few months now. I'm not holding out hope of the issue going away... Still Virgin are still speaking to me and making changes at the moment so I guess I'll give them to the end of my current renewal period to improve things.

Thanks for your thoughts.
  Print Thread

Jump to