General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User malta6k1
(newbie) Mon 13-Apr-20 18:37:31
Print Post

50% packet loss while gaming.....Broadband Quality Monitor

[link to this post]

Hi everyone,

For the past month, I have been getting 50% packet loss and high latency whilst gaming.
As shown in the broadband quality monitor below, there seems to be 100% packet loss for 3/4 of the day and some days the entire day.

I am currently with virgin media and wondering if I should switch to BT , in hope that this packet loss is reduced, as currently it is impossible to game.I feel as though it cannot get worse than it is and I have nothing to lose.

I would love some help , and answers on why I have had such high packet loss for months and if this amount 50 to 100% is normal due to COVID.

Thank you very much for all the help !

BROADBAND QUALITY MONITOR
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-Apr-20 20:34:22
Print Post

Re: 50% packet loss while gaming.....Broadband Quality Monit

[re: malta6k1] [link to this post]

If you really had 100% packet loss then nothing would work.

What your chart shows is the Virgin Media hub putting responding to the ping enquires as a low priority or just plain ignoring them

The times the modem is responding show not unusual patterns for Virgin Media, some areas are like this a lot of the time.

The way to know if its peak capacity is to stay up late e.g. 2am and see if things are better then (usually say midnight but usage patterns suggest a good few people stay up later currently)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User malta6k1
(newbie) Tue 14-Apr-20 12:34:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you for your response,

I agree that it is not possible that I am receiving 100% packet loss , however whilst gaming I have been getting between 0 to 50% packet loss for the past month. Whereas , I have never received any packet loss previously.

Virgin media engineers have visited twice and stated that their are no issues.

Is there anything I can do about this ?

Thank you .

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 14-Apr-20 12:44:26
Print Post

Use another ISP - glib but Virgin Media is known for running its network hot i.e. some areas get congested and some are not.

Generally things have been good overall for a couple of years, but the lockdown is making the borderline areas a little more visible.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User malta6k1
(newbie) Tue 14-Apr-20 13:36:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Would you say switching to BT is a good option ?

The overall DOWNLOAD and UPLOAD speeds are slower, however I am willing to take the risk that packet loss will be eliminated.

Thank you .
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 14-Apr-20 13:51:09
Print Post

BT or any of lots of other providers, though it needs to be pointed out that if you don't have an active Openreach phone line (i.e. not virgin media) in the property getting this reactivated at this time is going to be very difficult.

Print Thread

Jump to