General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User malta6k1
(newbie) Fri 17-Apr-20 15:06:20
Print Post

Extreme Packet loss....

[link to this post]

I have been around 1 month with the issue of extremely high latency and packet loss.
I am currently with virgin media and have had 2 engineers visit, who have both seen no issue.
Therefore, I would like to change to BT as I feel as though this issue is going to remain and I need a stable connection as soon as possible.
However, due to corona virus, I have been made aware that I am unable to switch provider as an In home visit is required.

**I also have a cat6 ethernet running directly from my pc to my modum.**

Is there nothing I can do about this , must I continue to live 50% packet loss and high latency until everything settles down ?

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

Thank you.

Edited by malta6k1 (Fri 17-Apr-20 15:10:45)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 17-Apr-20 15:53:48
Print Post

Re: Extreme Packet loss....

[re: malta6k1] [link to this post]

The Virgin Media hub is generally well known for not responding to pings. Does this show up in your use of the Internet or just in the monitor? If your Internet works but it is just the ping responses for the BQM you are worried about then I would suggest ignoring the BQM.

If you are seeing specific issues with your Internet not related to the BQM then it is those that you should report to VM.

At this point you are going to struggle to get a new Internet connection installed and it could be some time before you will be able to.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 17-Apr-20 15:59:14
Print Post

This question doesn't seem worth asking, given it is (a) in the wrong forum, and (b) refers directly to the advice given in your existing thread in this forum which was in the right place.

I don't think there is anything anyone could add to what you were told there.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 17-Apr-20 16:13:49
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks Bob, I feel like I wasted my breath responding as it appears I have just repeated what was said in the other thread.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 17-Apr-20 16:20:33
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I think we need to cut some slack to a newbie, but it was necessary to do just that - stop others like you wasting time and effort.

It would have been the same really even if in an appropriate forum.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 17-Apr-20 16:34:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It was just the fact I ended up repeating everything that had been said in the original thread...
Standard User MoM
(learned) Fri 17-Apr-20 17:38:21
Print Post

What problem(s) are you having and how is it affecting the usability of your connection or have you just looked at the graph and said I have a problem without actually suffering any degradation in service?
Standard User malta6k1
(newbie) Fri 17-Apr-20 18:01:55
Print Post

[re: MoM] [link to this post]

Sorry about anything in regards to repeating the questions in my previous post.
I am positive that this is an issue on Virgin Medias side.
When gaming , I am getting around 40 to 50% packet loss on PC and PS4 , directly connected to my modem.

Virgin Media have not been able to identify any problem,therefore I am wondering if there is anything I can do , rather than waiting months until BT is able to install their new line.

Thank you.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 17-Apr-20 18:03:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by malta6k1:
Virgin Media have not been able to identify any problem

Have you posted on Virgin's own forum, and had your power levels checked?

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User malta6k1
(newbie) Fri 17-Apr-20 18:23:44
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Sorry can you go more in depth about power levels ?
I had an engineer who said he "increased some signals" at the green box.
However, that has made no change...
  Print Thread

Jump to