General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User longstaff5
(newbie) Thu 21-May-20 14:44:28
Print Post

Can someone advise if this is normal

[link to this post]

I looked at plenty of guides etc but i can't get my head round it, is this classed as a normal/acceptable broadband graph for 350mb fibre.
Standard User longstaff5
(newbie) Thu 21-May-20 14:45:06
Print Post

Re: Can someone advise if this is normal

[re: longstaff5] [link to this post]

Graph
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-May-20 15:02:48
Print Post

[re: longstaff5] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by longstaff5:
I looked at plenty of guides etc but i can't get my head round it, is this classed as a normal/acceptable broadband graph for 350mb fibre.

Looks pretty normal for Virgin Media's cable network (DOCSIS), similar to mine (link in sig) on 200 Mbps. Openreach, or alternate network full fibre uses a different technology which can give 'cleaner' graphs.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 21-May-20 15:08:53
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Looks good for Virgin Media

On the other providers giving cleaner graphs, while there can be issues with the Virgin SuperHub response times, the cable service does have more jitter (the yellow bit) than most other fixed line services

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ndfred
(newbie) Fri 22-May-20 16:07:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I have Virgin 350 as well but am actually seeing much more packet loss even though I am not really using the line much:
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

I just set up SmokePing on my wired Raspberry Pi to the first Virgin Media hop when doing a traceroute to google.com, google.com itself and the think broadband IP and all of these probes are seeing intermittent packet loss as well.

With Virgin support not being available, do you know if this is fixable somehow? Power level adjustments or anything? And would DSL give me significantly better reliability? As I am working from home and doing a lot of video calls, latency is pretty key and I am seeing regular drop outs even over Ethernet. My SuperHub is in modem mode with a Unifi USG behind it.

Edited by ndfred (Fri 22-May-20 16:16:18)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-May-20 16:36:09
Print Post

[re: ndfred] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ndfred:
My SuperHub is in modem mode with a Unifi USG behind it.

I don't see much red on that trace. I'm using a SuperHub 3 in modem mode to an Asus router. Have you tried rebooting the SuperHub at any point? Some Virgin Media areas are quite different to others. I'm on the Hampshire/Surrey border.

Standard User ndfred
(newbie) Fri 22-May-20 17:08:33
Print Post

I have rebooted it just yesterday, and ran the Virgin tests a few times, no faults detected. There isn’t much red, and most of the time it works just fine, but at some point video calls will just drop for no reason which is what I would like to avoid. Your trace looks much cleaner / more stable than mine!

I live in London, near Highgate. I know Virgin Media really just bought a bunch of existing providers, though in my case they had to pull a cable to my house when I got here so I would suspect the line is of great quality. Might just be too many neighbours sharing the same line?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-May-20 17:11:51
Print Post

I have rebooted it just yesterday, and ran the Virgin tests a few times, no faults detected. There isn’t much red, and most of the time it works just fine, but at some point video calls will just drop for no reason which is what I would like to avoid. Your trace looks much cleaner / more stable than mine!

Video calls dropping is really annoying. I've had a few of those, and I had a full line of red on my BQM, none today, but had this once this week. Lost the internet and my Asus router's red light came on. Rebooting the Superhub brought it all back.

I live in London, near Highgate. I know Virgin Media really just bought a bunch of existing providers, though in my case they had to pull a cable to my house when I got here so I would suspect the line is of great quality. Might just be too many neighbours sharing the same line?

It is possible. Do you have family members using the internet at the same time as you are?

Standard User ndfred
(newbie) Fri 22-May-20 18:34:13
Print Post

Mine recovered after a bit without needing a reboot, but it is really annoying especially when your work depends on the quality of your connection. Family members weren't using the connection heavily, and Virgin 350 has quite a bit of slack even if they were, so I'm not really looking at that.

A colleague suggested adding attenuation pads to reduce the voltage. My downstream channel shows -1.5 dBmV which is within the 1.5~2 range but upstream is at 4.475 dBmV which might be too high, I'll look into it.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-May-20 18:54:32
Print Post

A colleague suggested adding attenuation pads to reduce the voltage. My downstream channel shows -1.5 dBmV which is within the 1.5~2 range but upstream is at 4.475 dBmV which might be too high, I'll look into it.

I've seen power levels discussed on Virgin's own support forums. I've seen attenuators that screw onto the F-Series connector on the back of the SuperHub - but they're usually akin to banging the TV with a hammer when it goes off.

I would raise a ticket and get someone from Virgin to look at the signal levels, probably try the forum too, as Virgin staff do visit.

Standard User ndfred
(newbie) Sun 24-May-20 12:16:04
Print Post

I tried playing with the various attenuators and it did get better for a day, but then went bad again. Looks like the “Post RS Errors” field in the router status page is the one to watch, when it flares up I see packet loss.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 24-May-20 12:44:41
Print Post

I tried playing with the various attenuators and it did get better for a day, but then went bad again. Looks like the “Post RS Errors” field in the router status page is the one to watch, when it flares up I see packet loss.

I see two columns, one for each channel, downstream I have 24 channels, and I see Pre RS Errors and Post RS Errors. I am taking a guess that RS is Reed-Solomon error correction, and the number Pre is total errors, and Post is the errors that couldn't be fixed by the error correction calculations.

On my channel 1 I see Pre of 402,288, and Post of 123,869 which are high numbers, on channel two they are 20,000 and 1,000, and the post numbers are no higer for the rest of the channels. On the upstream I have 4 channels and no mention of errors, just timeouts T1, T2, T3, T4 which are all 0.

I have my SH3 in modem mode connected to an Asus router, running the alternative Merlin firmware, there is a module called "modmon" which tracks the SH3 statistics and draws graphs, 24 hours, 7 days and 30 days. I've just installed it!
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/modmon-webui-for-m...

Standard User ndfred
(newbie) Thu 16-Jul-20 09:01:30
Print Post

I figured this out: all I had to do was... to untangle the cable! It was bent / had tight turns, since I unfolded it and allowed it to curve gently all my errors dropped and my connection quality is vastly improved. Happy my connection quality is much better now!
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Jul-20 10:29:35
Print Post

I figured this out: all I had to do was... to untangle the cable! It was bent / had tight turns, since I unfolded it and allowed it to curve gently all my errors dropped and my connection quality is vastly improved. Happy my connection quality is much better now!

Excellent, great news!

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to