General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Phyl
(newbie) Sat 28-Nov-20 10:35:48
Print Post

VM BQM is insanely Overused. Help is appreciated.

[link to this post]

Hi everyone,

So, I moved to my property on October, the VM installation outside happened just a few days before I moved, meaning it's a brand new installation and looks like fiber cable but I can't be sure. My package is 100M, which is 100mb download and 10mb upload and for the first week I was trying to play Rocket League (high latency dependent) and had immense random packet loss and latency issues, I thought it would be the fresh installation and after I called the VM they said it would settle in a little bit.
It never did and I kind of regret not switching before the contract became bound.
Well, a month passed and 2nd lockdown happened, now my internet is in utter shambles when it reaches the end of the workday, at around 4pm to 12am.
I tried, Apex, Call of Duty, Overwatch, Fall Guys and Escape from Tarkov as well as Rocket League (which I quit to be honest), all show the same symptoms of packet loss and loads of rubberbanding.
I tested 3 different cables, CAT5, CAT6, and the one I use being CAT7 gold plated.
Last week (21st of Nov) VM had a massive Outage in my area which affected my area for an entire 3 days, after it came back it was worse and then I started a BQM to identify the causes.

I have the HUB 3 and it's on it's original factory settings.

This is my Live BQM

Hopefully I either get this sorted once Lockdown eases as I still believe it's some immense overusage.

I really hope I don't have to switch to another provider as I don't know what the cost will be, but if that is the solution, then I need to do it and won't regret it.

I also stream, and since moving here I can't stream and play an Online game because I drop frames and lag due to losing upload to a point it reaches 0kb/s.

I live in the NN15 Area and any help, advice, or suggestion of what I can do, or provider I could switch that is excellent would be much appreciated.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 28-Nov-20 10:40:40
Print Post

Re: VM BQM is insanely Overused. Help is appreciated.

[re: Phyl] [link to this post]

NN15 is a big area, what does https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/postcode-search suggest is available to you?

Switching is the fastest way to fix this, as this looks like over utilisation unless you want to play and stream in middle of the night.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Phyl
(newbie) Sat 28-Nov-20 10:50:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I honestly didn't know it was such a big area. I did the link you suggested but I have no idea how to read it to know what would be best...

This is the result.

https://gyazo.com/91290da4908b0a4bbcf9e9eb5429c012

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 28-Nov-20 12:31:07
Print Post

[re: Phyl] [link to this post]

Key thing is that the FTTC/VDSL2 services seem to be available at speeds that would be good for gaming.

So its a case of picking a package that meets your price and other criteria you may have
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/packages has a postcode filter. Seeing the result from the detailed version was useful to show speeds should be decent.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to