General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User devc
(newbie) Tue 19-Jan-21 11:01:11
Print Post

Help understanding BQM grph

[link to this post]

Here is my graph from last night, can anyone help me understand the graph as it looks bad to me.
I have several devices connected over wifi and cctv and alarm hard wired in to the router which send upstream traffic.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

Any help greatly appreciated
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 19-Jan-21 11:27:07
Print Post

Re: Help understanding BQM grph

[re: devc] [link to this post]

The initial part looks to me like something is keeping your router very busy all the time, and it is simply not responding to a huge number of pings. Responding to pings is probably the least important function it has.

The green section when responses are sent looks good to me, and the blue looks consistent with your description of usage.

The solid red at the right almost certainly means your IP address has changed, so it isn't even being pinged. Did you reboot the router to see if that improved things, as (I believe) that would change the address on Sky.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Standard User devc
(newbie) Tue 19-Jan-21 14:17:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Many thanks for replying so quick.
The last reboot the router had was around 9pm last night before i started the BQM.
I noticed that 100% packet loss before so i started a new BQM and seems my IPv6 address had changed but i hadnt rebooted myself.
The new BQM seems a lot more stable, would you agree?:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

So no idea what happened this morning but my broadband has been more stable - ive had various sky q and broadband issues all week hence my monitoring.
Sky's excuse last time was too many devices on the network and too much broadband usage in my area so wanted some evidence before going back to them.
I'll keep a check on it over the next few days, thanks for your help

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 19-Jan-21 14:37:59
Print Post

That's certainly better, but far from good. Looks as if it is being really hammered.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Standard User devc
(newbie) Tue 19-Jan-21 14:45:47
Print Post

Do you mean from devices connected to the router?
We do have a lot of devices on wifi (4 computers, tvs, alexas, phones, gaming consoles, etc and 2 sky wifi boosters) plus cctv and alarm hard wired into the router.
Could too many devices connected to the router be the issue?

Or do you mean something hammering it from outside my network?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 19-Jan-21 14:56:27
Print Post

Basically what you are doing. But if everything is behaving acceptably, nothing really to worry about. Though that's just my opinion. Others may have suggestions.

========================
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 19-Jan-21 15:33:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by devc:
I noticed that 100% packet loss before so i started a new BQM and seems my IPv6 address had changed but i hadnt rebooted myself.
The new BQM seems a lot more stable, would you agree?:

Did you input the IPV6 address in the BQM yourself or did you use the IPV6 address that is shown when clicking on "create a new monitor"?

If you use the IPV6 address picked by the BQM then it could be be pinging the device you were using instead of pinging the router.
That would cause inconsistent results.
Standard User devc
(newbie) Tue 19-Jan-21 16:01:22
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Ah yes that will explain it then, sorry been a while since I used a BQM!
i just left it to populate itself
Thanks for replying!
Standard User devc
(newbie) Tue 19-Jan-21 16:10:59
Print Post

Thanks, seems I might have entered the IPv6 address of my actual device not router, will add a new BQM and retry, thanks for your help so far
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Jan-21 16:46:04
Print Post

To find out if it is data use from devices you own, you need to switch them off, disable Wi-Fi, unplug them from router and see if this improves the BQM

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to