User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

These posts have been archived and can no longer be replied to or modified.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Simon888
(newbie) Thu 26-Nov-09 01:13:59
Print Post

Speed restriction warning

[link to this post]

Hi All,

I have been good the past two months and not received the email from BT "Speed restriction warning". But just received one this evening.

Im sure some of you have also received it but if not this is how it goes.

-------------------------------------
Fair Usage Policy: your speed may be restricted
at peak times

Dear Customer,

We thought you'd like to know that your broadband usage in November has reached 80GB.

In accordance with our Fair Usage Policy, and to protect the online experience of all our customers, if your monthly broadband usage goes over 100GB, we'll restrict your broadband speed at peak times (typically this is between 5pm and 12am, but these times may change depending on the demands on the network) to 1Mbps for 30 days.

Please note: your service won't be affected in any other way - we'll restrict only your speed, not the amount you can upload and download.
------------------------------------------

I remember reading here and BT Care replying saying that all caps are reset on the 1st of every month.

Anyway my gripe on this.... If I go over the 100GB yer I get capped which I accept, but on the 1st of the month WHEN I PAY FOR THAT NEXT MONTH I'm still capped upto the 30 days from when I breached the 100GB. Now surely this is not aloud as I have paid for a service and been allocated 100GB to play with before I get throttled again.

Im NOT getting what I paid for? I can understand been throttled up to the end of the month but from the 1st... all should be unrestricted until I breach it again.

Your thoughts.

Thanks

Simon
Standard User XRaySpeX
(experienced) Thu 26-Nov-09 01:48:08
Print Post

Re: Speed restriction warning

[re: Simon888] [link to this post]

Not only is it allowed but it is just!

You breached the fair usage limit, so you pay a penalty for 30 days.

You expect to get off scot-free if you hit the 100GB on 30th. November? You just being greedy!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg BB
Standard User Rroff
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-Nov-09 16:45:15
Print Post

I agree - capping into the next month is just a punishment - most other places once you hit the fair useage cap you are only throttled for the remainder of that month... tho to be fair many other places that use such measures cap even more agressively once you hit the cap - i.e. 128kbit for the remainder of the month.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
<needs updating>

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Simon888
(newbie) Thu 26-Nov-09 16:51:30
Print Post

[re: Rroff] [link to this post]

Yer I feel I'm been punished a right naughty boy... and paying for the privilege of been punished!

Just wish BT had an option even if they charged more for it to have a totally unthrottled service and slurp as much as you want or maybe a 200GB limit a month. Wether they can make money out of it is another thing!

Simon
Standard User Rroff
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-Nov-09 17:03:49
Print Post

Yeah I think BT lack a high end package any more - the "unlimited" option 3 package hasn't really moved with the times... its a reasonable enough allowance for what you pay - but not really suited as a high end package any more.

<needs updating>
Standard User jroadley
(newbie) Fri 27-Nov-09 14:19:28
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

What fair usage limit - he's on a "unlimited" plan...

Fair usage to me is ports being blocked during peak times - after midnight - who cares what you get up to. BT have got their head in the sand on this one.

Where in the BT T&C does it say you go over 100gb in a month you entire connection will be set to 1mb?????
Standard User XRaySpeX
(experienced) Fri 27-Nov-09 14:55:56
Print Post

[re: jroadley] [link to this post]

Oh, when will they ever learn that "unlimited" can never mean infinite but is always subject to a fair use policy. Here:
Customers who are classified as very heavy users will experience significantly reduced speed at peak times (typically 5pm-midnight every day but these times may change depending on the demand on the network) for a period of 30 days, or for as long as very heavy use continues.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg BB
Standard User phantom66uk
(experienced) Fri 27-Nov-09 16:16:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Oh, when will they ever learn that "unlimited" can never mean infinite but is always subject to a fair use policy. Here:
Customers who are classified as very heavy users will experience significantly reduced speed at peak times (typically 5pm-midnight every day but these times may change depending on the demand on the network) for a period of 30 days, or for as long as very heavy use continues.

Zen "Unlimited" £79(ex VAT)+ per month = Truly unlimited (except for a top limit of 1TB per month, yes ONE TERRABYTE) (product spec)

Be* / O2 (LLU not access) - FUP applies but people have downloaded 500GB per month, each and every month with no problems. The only case where someone had the FUP invoked was when network upgrades were taking place and all users were told to download "large" things overnight - this user continued as normal and got FUP'ed for ignoring the advice (or at least that's the story that I've heard)

Sky Max (LLU) - Unlimited AFAIK same policy as Be* / O2 applies.

There probably are more, but i'm not wasting my time pointing them all out..

The point is there are "unlimited" products which don't always invoke a FUP restriction tongue

Edited by phantom66uk (Fri 27-Nov-09 16:16:36)

Standard User RobertoS
(legend) Sat 28-Nov-09 13:19:35
Print Post

[re: phantom66uk] [link to this post]

Be* / O2 (LLU not access) - FUP applies but people have downloaded 500GB per month, each and every month with no problems. The only case where someone had the FUP invoked was when network upgrades were taking place and all users were told to download "large" things overnight - this user continued as normal and got FUP'ed for ignoring the advice (or at least that's the story that I've heard)
Story a bit garbled over time smile.

One user on Be got (in his own words) "a polite email" requesting he eased off a bit. He had downloaded over 500GB while there was a cable break, so he screwed things a bit for others. Exactly what a FUP should mean.

Subsequently he has downloaded over 500GB several times without a peep from Be.

The thread is however about BT Wholesale product unlimiteds anyway, and the performance on O2 Access, which now has a busy-period FUP of around 100GB but apparently more is allowed at slack times, is dire.

Bob's broadband help site:
www.robertos.me.uk
ISP history: Demon dialup >> Freeserve dialup >> BT Broadband >> Prodigynet >> Newnet >> O2 Premium.
Purple Cloud for domain, email and web space.
Standard User Rroff
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Nov-09 13:24:57
Print Post

They aren't truly unlimited tho are they... the problem is ISPs still trying to sell on this mis-leading term.

Tho anyone using more than 200GB let alone 1000 are probably taking the mick... even in this day and age... I can't think off hand of a good reason to be using 3-4MBit/s constantly on a home connection.

<needs updating>
Standard User RobertoS
(legend) Sat 28-Nov-09 13:48:52
Print Post

Hmmmm.
Zen "Unlimited" £79(ex VAT)+ per month = Truly unlimited (except for a top limit of 1TB per month, yes ONE TERRABYTE) (product spec)
I just looked at the Zen link you give, then investigated what the little crucifix means.

"What is the monthly download usage allowance on the Office Max service

Customers with an Office Max service that are connected to an exchange enabled for up to 20Mbps services have a monthly download usage allowance of 1000GB. For all other Office Max customers usage is unlimited."

Now what they mean by "an exchange enabled for up to 20Mbps services" is totally unclear to me. Does it mean their own LLU, does it mean WBC/WBMC, or both?

In either case the implication is that on IPStream or IPSC that there is no limit whatsoever.

That the higher cost (to Zen) services should be unlimited and the lower cost ones subject to a 1TB allowance is counter-intuitive.

www.robertos.me.uk
ISP history: Demon dialup >> Freeserve dialup >> BT Broadband >> Prodigynet >> Newnet >> O2 Premium.
(experienced) Sat 28-Nov-09 13:57:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Hmmmm.
I just looked at the Zen link you give, then investigated what the little crucifix means.

"What is the monthly download usage allowance on the Office Max service

Customers with an Office Max service that are connected to an exchange enabled for up to 20Mbps services have a monthly download usage allowance of 1000GB. For all other Office Max customers usage is unlimited."

Now what they mean by "an exchange enabled for up to 20Mbps services" is totally unclear to me. Does it mean their own LLU, does it mean WBC/WBMC, or both?

In either case the implication is that on IPStream or IPSC that there is no limit whatsoever.

That the higher cost (to Zen) services should be unlimited and the lower cost ones subject to a 1TB allowance is counter-intuitive.

I'd assume that it applies to the BTWholesale products and not thier own LLU service since they only cover 4 exchanges from memory.

The way I understand it is if you're on 'vanilla' ADSL Max (up to 8Mbit) there is no limit at all - If you're on 21CN i.e WBC (ADSL2+ up to 20Mbit) then you've the top limit of 1 Terrabyte as you've got more chance of hitting that with the faster product. smile

(experienced) Sat 28-Nov-09 14:00:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by Rroff:
They aren't truly unlimited tho are they... the problem is ISPs still trying to sell on this mis-leading term.

Tho anyone using more than 200GB let alone 1000 are probably taking the mick... even in this day and age... I can't think off hand of a good reason to be using 3-4MBit/s constantly on a home connection.

The Zen product IS truly unlimited except for the 1 Terrabyte limit if you're ADSL2+ enabled. The others that I've mentioned (i.e the LLU brigade) might have a FUP, but is very rarely (if at all) needed to be brought into action. So for the current period that we are in, they are truly unlimited until something changes in the future... smile

Standard User RobertoS
(legend) Sat 28-Nov-09 15:07:19
Print Post

That's understandable I suppose. Just looked wierd at first smile.

I remember a post a while back from someone joined them on the unlimited £79 product and got told off after about 3 days because of his usage.

He wasn't right pleased LOL!

www.robertos.me.uk
Standard User XRaySpeX
(experienced) Sat 28-Nov-09 15:29:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by phantom66uk:
This is misleading, particularly in this forum.

This is a Medium / Large Business Broadband product! Small Businesses and Home products are limited to no more than 50GB and some down to 5GB.

(experienced) Sun 29-Nov-09 01:38:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
This is misleading, particularly in this forum.

This is a Medium / Large Business Broadband product! Small Businesses and Home products are limited to no more than 50GB and some down to 5GB.

Home users can buy and use this £79 "office" product.. So it's not misleading. tongue wink (I've used it myself on a home connection )

Standard User bratty
(newbie) Mon 30-Nov-09 16:29:02
Print Post

A few months ago I got one of these emails, was frightened by the idea of being punished and barely used the net for the next couple of days. However, I subsequently got another email saying that I had hit 100gb and would now be throtted. I had used 20gb in two days just reading the odd email.
I now have another 80gb email so I assume I shall now be throttled again regardless of what I do in the next couple of days. This is unreasonable to me.
Standard User Simon888
(newbie) Mon 30-Nov-09 16:58:34
Print Post

[re: bratty] [link to this post]

You think have just confirmed something that I have been wondering. These warning emails that go out. I think they are a few days delayed before they hit our email inbox from the date we breach their 80GB mark, and probably the 100GB mark as well.

Perhaps one of the nice BT Care people that read this board can confirm the time scales of this.

Thanks

Simon
Standard User uBer1982
(learned) Mon 30-Nov-09 17:24:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by Simon888:
You think have just confirmed something that I have been wondering. These warning emails that go out. I think they are a few days delayed before they hit our email inbox from the date we breach their 80GB mark, and probably the 100GB mark as well.

Perhaps one of the nice BT Care people that read this board can confirm the time scales of this.

Thanks

Simon

i think ur right because in august i got the email just before the last week in august and the next week i was going on holiday so i thought ok im defo not gonna use 20gb because i'll be away but upon return i found that during the week i was away i got the 100gb email saying i was restricted

and guess what ..I STILL AM frown

BTBB Home Hub 2.0
8128/448 sync
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Nov-09 23:52:05
Print Post

yes a proper FUP is something that would only be used in unspecificed circumstances, such as BE's temporary network situation.

BT (and probably some other isps) seem to use a FUP to cover a static limit.

zen if they do have a 1TB limit is not truly unlimited Im afraid.
Standard User gohunter
(newbie) Tue 01-Dec-09 09:40:48
Print Post

[re: uBer1982] [link to this post]

Too right people who download 100Gb in a month should get their speed capped and capped for 30 days. People like me suffer our broadband speeds drop dramatically in the evenings thanks to people like you being on the same exchange link!!! Last evening it dropped to 690kbps at around 6pm and probably lower later.

What on earth are you doing in order to use over 80Gb in a month for goodness sake? Watching iPlayer continuosly or something?

I know I am being old fashioned here, but please show some consideration for others who want to use their broadband service too and who have the misfortune to have to share it with you. Your broadband line to the exchange is not yours alone, it connects up to 50 other people who are no doubt all suffering thanks to your greed!

Regards,

Gordon
Standard User Rroff
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Dec-09 16:58:37
Print Post

[re: gohunter] [link to this post]

Yes your being very old fashioned tongue

I think 100gig is on the upper end of a fair amount in this day and age with the increase in availability of legal download services like steam, iplayer, itunes and the likes... also bare in mind that not every household is the same... its not the end users fault that BT doesn't effectively provision for heavier users who are prepared to pay.

The people to blame IMO are the cheap people who have driven prices down below whats really needed to sustain a decent quality network and BT's reticence to invest in their network.

My own definition of fair use that both acknowledges that a residential connection is not intended for flat out 24x7 useage, prevalent useage trends, the nature of broadband and doesn't penalise people depending on the configuration of their household would be a connection that could provide broadband (2Mbit/s) speeds at any time between 5pm and 11pm which would represnt typical useage hours - which come out at just under 160Gig a month. 256*60*60*6*30/1024/1024. I think that portraits the maximum you could expect by definition from a residential broadband connection.

As useage patterns change you can still calculate from the same framework with the figures adjusted.

<needs updating>
Standard User Schrodingers_Cat
(experienced) Wed 02-Dec-09 02:55:06
Print Post

Well...no...actually it isn't 'just'.

Someone might download 900gb in a month and exceed the limit on the 3rd day of the month. They get a 30 day penalty for the next month.

Someone else might download 101gb in a month and exceed the limit on the last day of the month. They too get a 30 day penalty for the next month.

This seems utterly daft, as what it means is that a truly wreckless person can simply download as much as they like every other month. Someone with two seperate ISPs could even nicely wangle this so they could download as much as they like all the time.

It would be infinitely more sensible, and just, if the capping came into effect the moment the 100gb limit was reached....and lasted for the rest of the month that the event occured in. This would make the punishment actually fit the crime.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(experienced) Wed 02-Dec-09 03:41:27
Print Post

[re: Schrodingers_Cat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Schrodingers_Cat:
Someone might download 900gb in a month and exceed the limit on the 3rd day of the month. They get a 30 day penalty for the next month.
That someone wouldn't get a chance to download 900GB in that month, because as soon as he exceeded the 100GB limit on the 3rd inst. his speed will be reduced drastically for the next 30 days.

Your argument doesn't hold water!

BT has determined as a policy fair to all users that a "truly reckless person" is one downloads > 100GB per month.

Standard User Rroff
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Dec-09 16:32:34
Print Post

Thats not entirely true - outside of 5pm to midnight you can get faster speeds - between 2am and 8am its usually completely unthrottled - yet BT make no allowance for people who are considerate and download off peak - so theres little incentive to do so... which again makes their policy stupid.

Assuming a 6-7mbit profile and someones downloading and uploading 24x7 (upload isn't throttled the same) you can hit just under 500gig a month in completely unmanaged times - around 250-400gig during traffic managed off peak times and around 30gig in peak traffic managed time... so potentially you can hit 900gig in a month... if your uploading at a good speed but not fast enough to flood the acks out you can prolly hit 1.2TB.

Unfortunatly tho it is the ones who only slightly exceed it and are probably not really heavy users and happen to have 3-4 people in their family who make medium useage that are going to suffer... the heavy downloaders probably don't even notice the speed decrease as they are working on monthly volume - the people sharing the connection with a couple of family members and making legit useage of the connection are going to have unusable speeds at peak times... and are essentially being punished for the sins of others - is this fair?

<needs updating>

Edited by Rroff (Wed 02-Dec-09 16:34:24)

Standard User Simon888
(newbie) Wed 02-Dec-09 17:42:36
Print Post

Yes exactly. This is what I have been talking about. You are "Punished" for the REST of the month, and on the 1st of every month the clock starts again, and if you hit 100GB again then you are restricted until the 1st of the month again. as that is what you are paying for. not paying to be "punished" which is what it feels like.

Simon
Standard User Simon888
(newbie) Wed 02-Dec-09 17:53:13
Print Post

Just has an idea. Yer I know does not happen very often.

Why don't BT offer another "Option" There are currently Options 1,2 and 3. There used to be a 4. It might still bet here but not official any more.

So why don't BT offer an Option 4 (or whatever) where it still has an unlimited usage, but has a higher cap before affecting the FAU. So could be 150 or 200 GB a month and then charge £29.99 (£24.46 is what Option 3 is charged at).

That way it keeps the people on the lower Option packages who pay less happy that we are not stealing their bandwidth as we are paying more to have more.

Im prepared to pay a bit more for a better FAU, and I'm sure others are as the lower speed restriction does make some things VERY stressful.

Come on BT_CARE team give the idea to MANAGEMENT. Means more money for BT and you might get an award for suggesting it as a revenue raiser.

Thanks

Simon
Standard User uBer1982
(learned) Wed 02-Dec-09 18:04:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by gohunter:
Too right people who download 100Gb in a month should get their speed capped and capped for 30 days. People like me suffer our broadband speeds drop dramatically in the evenings thanks to people like you being on the same exchange link!!! Last evening it dropped to 690kbps at around 6pm and probably lower later.

What on earth are you doing in order to use over 80Gb in a month for goodness sake? Watching iPlayer continuosly or something?

I know I am being old fashioned here, but please show some consideration for others who want to use their broadband service too and who have the misfortune to have to share it with you. Your broadband line to the exchange is not yours alone, it connects up to 50 other people who are no doubt all suffering thanks to your greed!

hmm greed ay ... my avg usage is like 70gb a month, normally i get full speed 24/7 so u must have a bad line, i only game online and watch the odd youtube video, my wife plays wow and the odd bbc iplayer program

i would argue that todays avg user uses far more than a few years ago now so these caps need rethinking about

and please dont single me out to be some file sharing scum because im not and i was only restricted in august because i had to reinstall a few of my familys pc's and usage went high but for some odd reason im still restricted and i know this because all day i get full 6.9mb and then at 5pm it drops to about 4mb and by 6 its 1mb

my next door neighbour gets 6.9 ish meg 24/7 and his kids are always on youtube

oh forgot to say im in clough hall area and am about .06km from exchange in straight line sp probably 1km line with 26.5 db att

BTBB Home Hub 2.0
8128/448 sync

Edited by uBer1982 (Wed 02-Dec-09 18:09:29)

ISP Representative BT_Care
(isp) Wed 02-Dec-09 18:50:31
Print Post

Hi Simon888,

The product development team are constantly looking at ways of updating serivces and feedback from customers is an important part of this. I will pass on your suggestion and I thank you for taking the time to post it.

Many Thanks
Donna
BT Support.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User RandomJointer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Dec-09 19:13:29
Print Post

So why don't BT offer an Option 4 (or whatever) where it still has an unlimited usage, but has a higher cap before affecting the FAU. So could be 150 or 200 GB a month and then charge £29.99

They are not offering such a service as it would lose money.

Standard User Rroff
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Dec-09 19:30:49
Print Post

[re: RandomJointer] [link to this post]

Why so? I'd expect the price to be around £40 for a 150-200gig package personally but they shouldn't be losing money on it - or they need to sort their peering out...

<needs updating>

Edited by Rroff (Wed 02-Dec-09 19:33:28)

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Dec-09 23:49:10
Print Post

If you can find an unthrottled 150-200gig package on ipstream for £40 let me know.

Fact is firms don't like losing money and so such packages do not exist. smile

Standard User Rroff
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-Dec-09 03:22:18
Print Post

I refuse to believe they'd make a loss on 150gig @ roughly £40/m... I can check figures with my bro tomorrow as he does white label vISP reselling - but my own LINX peering barely costs a tenth of that for 150gig (monthly) bandwidth. Lack of packages is more to do with lack of market for it probably than the profit margins... most people don't wanna pay that kinda amount.

<needs updating>

Edited by Rroff (Thu 03-Dec-09 03:23:56)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-Dec-09 08:53:39
Print Post

Peering is not the issue it is the cost of bt wholesale capacity.

What you suggest may just about be ok on 21cn or if customer is on a market 3 exchange but otherwise a no go.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(legend) Thu 03-Dec-09 10:22:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by uBer1982:
oh forgot to say im in clough hall area and am about .06km from exchange in straight line sp probably 1km line with 26.5 db att
Sounds like 18Mbps or so true unlimited with 15Mbps download speed on O2 tongue.

Prices for the first 12 months via cashback:- £105 with no O2 mobile phone, £45 with a monthly contract one, and £85 with PAYG. The phone doesn't need to be in your name or even registered at your address.

www.robertos.me.uk

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 03-Dec-09 10:23:21)

Standard User Rroff
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-Dec-09 18:47:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Bro says £1.06 per gig for resellers frown which is rediculous IMO... even for the supplier it would cost them £53 for the bandwidth (150gig) alone... and another £10 ish on top of that before you start to make anything back...

Thats pretty crazy when they have their own network and peering costs a fraction of that for the bandwidth... guess thats what happens when you have shareholders and other fat cats in the mix frown

<needs updating>

Edited by Rroff (Thu 03-Dec-09 18:51:56)

Standard User ukscallylad
(newbie) Thu 03-Dec-09 23:09:54
Print Post

I have been restricted for going over 100GB but nowhere in there fair usage terms and conditions does it say theres a cap at 100GB..

I was sold this as unlimited when i signed up because as a sky customer i can have unlimited so if i thoiught bt wasnt umlimited do you think i would have gone to BT? this is the question i keep asking BT and they dnt seem to be able to answer.

I do a lot of stream u tube, iplayer etc and watch lots of HD movies online so i use my allowance quickly.. I aksed for a free bt vision box as this would stop me from streaming i player and itv player as this according to fair usage policy is not included in your 100GB limit but BT are not even willing to do that.

Wat makes me mad is i paid £122 or £130 for my line to go in so surly its upto me what i do with that line as i pay line rental and braodband seperate.

I have also asked bt to refund me the cost of my line as they are calling the shots as if they paid for the line.

It also says in the email that if the service i have at the minute is not stuiting me needs to upgrade to a umlimited package - how can you when on the top package?

I have spoken to ofcom and with the other problems i have had with BT they have told me to contact atelo. I am just hoping they can get me some compensation.

So fingers crossed i get some where.
Standard User KevinR
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 03-Dec-09 23:41:54
Print Post

And even if the speed restriction were 24hr I reckon you could still get 250GB (= (1,000,000/10)*60*60*24*29) in 29 days if you hit the 100Gb on the first day! So 350 GB against a 100 GB FUP. If as you point out the offpeak is still unlimited, then the sky's still nearly the limit.

Kevin

H: Eclipse Flex 512 - grin Escaped their NAF Tiscali LLU, Fearing WMBC
(Was Vispa Dialup)
M: PlusNet BBYW-1 monthly 6.5Mbs - grin They gave up 18month madness
Standard User Rroff
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-Dec-09 02:51:54
Print Post

[re: KevinR] [link to this post]

oops forgot you could get in a fair amount before the warning kicked in... and the warning seems delayed by a few days too so prolly manage a good 250gig flat out before you saw any throttling if you were pushing it 24x7.

<needs updating>
Standard User XRaySpeX
(experienced) Fri 04-Dec-09 09:13:01
Print Post

[re: KevinR] [link to this post]

Completely unrealistic, for what is meant to be a home residential package, to use 24/7 at full whack!

Don't you ever sleep. eat. go to the loo, go down to the pub, go out for entertainment, go to work/school ..... ?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 04-Dec-09 10:43:32
Print Post

Define resellers?

If Zen can sell 50GB for £35 a month, then the price must be less than this, and I know it is, but dont have the figures to hand.

BT TOTAL DO NOT HAVE THEIR OWN NETWORK. They buy BT Central Plus from BT Wholesale, and BT Central Plus is available to any provider who wants to buy it.

BT Wholesale pricing is carefully regulated so that LLU can sell at a lower price point

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Rroff
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-Dec-09 17:36:18
Print Post

By resellers I'm talking the likes of vISPs reselling off the likes of eclipse, griffin, enta, etc.

To zen and other ISPs in that teir 50gig would cost them around £17 if I have the numbers right - so they've be making about £8 "profit" off that package.

By network I'm meaning the suppliers like BT Wholesale, griffin, etc.

I'm just trying to get a feel for the actual numbers that are in play in the market atm...

<needs updating>

Edited by Rroff (Fri 04-Dec-09 17:37:24)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Dec-09 09:50:11
Print Post

Around 50p per GB is right from BT Wholesale, but ignores set-up costs.
Remember the baseline monthly rental.

All this ignores the wages of the various staff keeping things running.

Standard User uBer1982
(learned) Mon 07-Dec-09 10:19:14
Print Post

well i have finally had enough and left for o2 premium.

the final straw came when they said i was a continuous heavy user and i know that i have not downloaded or gamed for ages now simply because i couldnt because of the restrictions, bt reduced my ip profile from 7150 to 5400 and said it would be staying there, i,ve not resynced my router incase i lose speed so until 15th dec its staying at 8128 sync

BTBB Home Hub 2.0
8128/448 sync
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Dec-09 10:45:25
Print Post

Who told you that they were lowering the IP profile as a way of throttling you? BT Total does not need to do this, and the IP profile is ran by BT Wholesale.

5400 is not actually a valid IP Profile setting anyway.

Standard User uBer1982
(learned) Mon 07-Dec-09 12:02:42
Print Post

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/bt/t/3755180-help.h...

those are the stats as of yesterday morning

BT 8meg > o2 standard ??meg (going live 15/12/09)
Standard User Simon888
(learned) Wed 30-Dec-09 00:13:35
Print Post

Just received my usual "Speed Restriction warning" email.

But this time the wording is slightly different. They are covering their [censored] regarding when the email is sent out and when you REALLY hit the 80% mark

The wording now says

"We thought you'd like to know that your broadband usage in December is now above 80GB"

Last month is said

"We thought you'd like to know that your broadband usage in November has reached 80GB"

So this month. When did it hit 80GB is what I want to know so that I can figure out how much I have left to play with before I get HAMMERED!

Please "BT CARE" can we have some clarification on this.

Many thanks

Simon
Standard User Rroff
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-Dec-09 17:04:30
Print Post

I got the 80gig warning this month... due to all the cheap steam deals lol... depsite saying it will be traffic managed if we go over 100gig - its kicked in as normal at the 80gig warning... but its gone screwy and is in affect from 2am til 8-9am lol when we normally schedule downloads - and all through peak the connection maxes out on anything fine... typical BT.

<needs updating>
Standard User Rroff
(knowledge is power) Thu 31-Dec-09 18:16:25
Print Post

Got the 100gig warning today lol... router shows just over 73gig combined up and down for the past month.

<needs updating>
(experienced) Thu 31-Dec-09 19:21:26
Print Post

laugh Lucky I left BT ages ago... not a record (for me) but 179GB download / 6GB Upload for this month (December) smile wink

(No, not torrents perfectly legal HD streams, etc... )

Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Jan-10 01:59:35
Print Post

laugh Lucky I left BT ages ago... not a record (for me) but 179GB download / 6GB Upload for this month (December) smile wink

(No, not torrents perfectly legal HD streams, etc... )

I was with BT years ago and left when they would not upgrade me to 2 meg (computer say 1 meg is max I could get) current sync is 12688/1403 kbps

Be* Unlimited
Far too many computers, 1 Ducati M900, 1 Wife, 2 Maine Coons and too many horses smile
+++ Out of Cheese Error. Redo From Start +++
Standard User JNeuhoff
(committed) Fri 01-Jan-10 13:40:39
Print Post

[re: BT_Care] [link to this post]

The product development team are constantly looking at ways of updating serivces and feedback from customers is an important part of this.

Are you serious, or is it just a joke?

How about providing a genuine unlimited plan, over a genuine broadland line (no old copper line please)? There are many customers who'd be willing to pay more money for it. But I guess BT won't even have all exchanges upgraded to yesterday's up-to 20mbps technology service by 2010, let alone offer some more useful broadband products over it.

For example, a symmetric 20mbps upload / 20mbps download product would be far more useful than e.g. a 1mbps upload / 20mbps download product. All your current products are just like hopelessly crowded one-way traffic roads.

Edited by JNeuhoff (Fri 01-Jan-10 13:43:23)

Standard User Rroff
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Jan-10 20:23:36
Print Post

I can't even stream video atm... ffs... its fluctuating 11-1200kbit/s average about 230kbit... from iplayer, youtube, etc.

<needs updating>
Standard User mil1401
(member) Sat 02-Jan-10 01:12:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by gohunter:

gohunter..are you a luddite??
Anybody who posts a naive comment like that should be banned from the site for a week.

Go to Revision3.com and download the high-definition back catalogue of Diggnation, then do the same with TRS, Tekzilla & HD-Nation and all the other programmes that are available, then report back how much you've downloaded.

BTW, my record is 702Gb in one month. \0/
BT don't have a problem with that, so nobody else should.

Chris

The first residential broadband customer in South Scotland......online since 29th August 2001 grin

Wirenet ---> PlusNet ---> RedHotAnt ---> BigBlueSky ---> NTL ---> BT ---> Zen ---> BT 8Mb Option 3

BT ULTRA user
Standard User Rroff
(knowledge is power) Sat 02-Jan-10 15:11:54
Print Post

[re: mil1401] [link to this post]

That is a bit excessive tbh...

But take the steam deals over christmas as an example... 100s of recent games at £1.50-£10 or so... can easily pickup 20 games each 1-11gig downloads for under £100... some of the packs are around 50gig alone.

End of the day tho I don't see downloading that much data month after month as acceptable on a home connection.

Being able to download 5-6 game a month tho I do see as acceptable... along with a few hours of iplayer, youtube, etc. updates and patches and so on... IMO anything upto rooughly 150-170gig a month is fair enough in this day and age.

If the ISP has no problem with it fair enough... but for the price you pay for home connections and typical legit useage in this day and age I don't see over 200gig sustainable and under 100gig is just taking the mick unless your charging <£20/m.

<needs updating>

Edited by Rroff (Sat 02-Jan-10 15:13:29)

Standard User Finguz
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-Jan-10 15:19:55
Print Post

BTW, my record is 702Gb in one month. \0/
BT don't have a problem with that, so nobody else should.

I don't have a problem with that ( I'm not with BT ) but I thought BT's FUP was 80 or 100Gb?

VivacitiLLU

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed

Edited by Finguz (Sat 02-Jan-10 15:20:43)

Standard User Finguz
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-Jan-10 15:26:51
Print Post

I can't even stream video atm... ffs... its fluctuating 11-1200kbit/s average about 230kbit... from iplayer, youtube, etc.

I wonder if you're on mil1401's exchange? tongue

VivacitiLLU

Standard User Rroff
(knowledge is power) Sat 02-Jan-10 16:42:05
Print Post

[re: Finguz] [link to this post]

Right now I'm at:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/669701750.png

5105KBit/s on iplayer

Download speedachieved during the test was - 5414 Kbps

Your DSL Connection Rate :7136 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 896 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 5500 Kbps

so looking good atm... tho BT being a bit mean on the IP profile for the sync... tho I'm more than happy with 5Mbit through put - but dramatic change likely to take place in less than 30 minutes crazy

EDIT: Well looking good except the routing... which does a nice roundtrip all around the country for no good reason.

<needs updating>

Edited by Rroff (Sat 02-Jan-10 16:46:16)

Standard User RobertoS
(legend) Sat 02-Jan-10 16:50:56
Print Post

You mean GB not Gb tongue. Maybe he means Gb. (Though I doubt it!)

www.robertos.me.uk
ISP history: Demon dialup >> Freeserve dialup >> BT Broadband >> Prodigynet >> Newnet >> O2 Standard.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 02-Jan-10 16:51:42)

Standard User mil1401
(member) Sat 02-Jan-10 17:26:06
Print Post

That is a bit excessive tbh...

End of the day tho I don't see downloading that much data month after month as acceptable on a home connection.

There is nothing in my T&C's that state that downloading 700 Gigabytes per month is unacceptable.

I use my 8Mb connection to suit my needs, I am an 'ultra-user' of that there is no doubt, always have been and always will be.

However I am subject to the FUP and am throttled during peak times and I have absolutely no problem with that.

150-170gig a month is fair enough in this day and age.

You obviously use your connection in a completely different way to me to think such a low figure is fair enough.

If the ISP has no problem with it fair enough... but for the price you pay for home connections and typical legit useage in this day and age I don't see over 200gig sustainable and under 100gig is just taking the mick unless your charging <£20/m.

I have been with BT now for almost 4 years and apart from the speed restriction emails every month, they are absolutely fine with it. If they weren't, I'd have been thrown off the service long ago.

Oh and yes I do mean 702 Gigabytes!! \0/
http://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image=50578679.jpg

Chris

The first residential broadband customer in South Scotland......online since 29th August 2001 grin

Wirenet ---> PlusNet ---> RedHotAnt ---> BigBlueSky ---> NTL ---> BT ---> Zen ---> BT 8Mb Option 3

BT ULTRA user
Standard User Finguz
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-Jan-10 19:19:36
Print Post

Hehe yeah my finger must have slipped off the caps lock key, or maybe I was intending to type Gbyte frown

VivacitiLLU

Edited by Finguz (Sat 02-Jan-10 19:20:55)

Standard User Rroff
(knowledge is power) Sat 02-Jan-10 19:46:50
Print Post

Home connections aren't designed for flat out use 24x7 or close... obviously it would be nice if they were.

But fair dos if you can deal with the traffic management I don't have a problem with the usage...

I do have a problem with BT throttling excessively on a supposedly unlimited package with no option for the customer but to move away... theres no higher useage package, no option to pay for an extra allowance, nothing.

<needs updating>
Standard User Rroff
(knowledge is power) Sat 02-Jan-10 19:53:51
Print Post

Now well into traffic managed time...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/669873129.png

BBC iplayer is struggling along with 58-610Kbit/s speeds fluctuating, youtube manages an average of 670kbit/s with fluctuation from around 200-900kbit.

Its not like the exchange is congested - it goes on and off from max speeds fine to this rubbish like a switch at 5pm/midnight... they are obviously tagging this traffic down the same over congested "naughty boys" virtual pipe.

<needs updating>
Standard User RobertoS
(legend) Sat 02-Jan-10 22:57:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by mil1401:
There is nothing in my T&C's that state that downloading 700 Gigabytes per month is unacceptable.

I use my 8Mb connection to suit my needs, I am an 'ultra-user' of that there is no doubt, always have been and always will be.

However I am subject to the FUP and am throttled during peak times and I have absolutely no problem with that.

I have been with BT now for almost 4 years and apart from the speed restriction emails every month, they are absolutely fine with it. If they weren't, I'd have been thrown off the service long ago.

Oh and yes I do mean 702 Gigabytes!! \0/
http://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image=50578679.jpg
Maybe you can tell me then smile. (I have no objection either by the way).

What do you do, or what do you intend to do, with all that stuff?

www.robertos.me.uk
ISP history: Demon dialup >> Freeserve dialup >> BT Broadband >> Prodigynet >> Newnet >> O2 Standard.
Standard User mil1401
(member) Sun 03-Jan-10 15:54:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
What do you do, or what do you intend to do, with all that stuff?

I don't do or intend to do anything with all that 'stuff'.

Chris

BT ULTRA user
Standard User RobertoS
(legend) Sun 03-Jan-10 17:48:05
Print Post

So what's the point? How many TB drives are you buying?

www.robertos.me.uk
Standard User mil1401
(member) Sun 03-Jan-10 20:52:38
Print Post

I'm not buying any TB drives.

Chris

BT ULTRA user
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Mon 04-Jan-10 09:19:53
Print Post

And this is the bit I love on this type of discussion. laugh

People who shovel truly stupendous amounts of data through a domestic phone line for relatively few £ per month, who are then asked what on earth they are actually doing.

"Er, stuff. That's right. Stuff. er, er."

For example, if mil.. was downloading movies, 700GB would be roughly 175 DVDs. As a movie is, say, 2 hours long, that brings us back to roughly 350 hours of viewing, over 11 and a half hours per day.

Frankly mil, I'm glad to see you accept the speed restrictions, because that's a lot of data to be moving each month. Are you going to tell us what you are up to, as the \O/ suggests you're quite proud of it! smile
Standard User RobertoS
(legend) Mon 04-Jan-10 09:40:44
Print Post

I'm not buying any TB drives.
So where do you store 700GB pm? Am I behind on the technology?

I genuinely do not understand what you and others are doing, but am not complaining. Just baffled.

As has just been pointed out, there is no way you are viewing and discarding, and you can't be writing to DVD.

Bob's broadband basic info/help site:
www.robertos.me.uk

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 04-Jan-10 09:43:16)

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 04-Jan-10 09:45:51
Print Post

I'm not interested in what you do with all that data.

I am interested in what throttling you get with all that usage. Perhaps an honest appraisal of speeds would benefit forum users?

Standard User mil1401
(member) Mon 04-Jan-10 12:36:35
Print Post

This is what is wrong with this forum.

Too many people getting their knickers in a twist over other people's broadband connection and what they do with it. I mean....how dare I use my BB connection to download more than someone else!!!

I posted the 702 Gigabyte figure as an example, to show that being throttled back isn't the huge issue that some people make it out to be.

As it says in the speed restriction email.....

Please note: your service isn't affected in any other way - we restrict only your speed, not your ability to upload and download.

Chris

BT ULTRA user
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Mon 04-Jan-10 13:43:45
Print Post

Well mil, you're the one name-calling earlier ("luddite"), and suggesting handing out bans to people who disagree with you.

Nice question avoidance, by the way. If anyone is getting their knickers in a twist it's YOU. Reread my post - do you see any criticism? I actually commented favourably that you accepted the policy - which many don't.

So, in one month, you say,

You've managed to download over 700GB, uploaded over 20 at the same time.
You don't store it.
You don't do anything with it.

Seriously, what ARE you doing? You can't be watching techy videos from the internet like you suggested earlier, or you wouldn't be able to both watch them and get enough sleep.

Why not just tell people what you are doing, and the throughput you're getting while doing it? This information can be genuinely useful to some people.

Me? I'd just love to know what application you have for so much data that you don't appear to actually use.
Standard User mil1401
(member) Mon 04-Jan-10 14:11:59
Print Post

[re: shtu] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by shtu:
Seriously, what ARE you doing?

Well sh, why are you so interested in what I do with my BB connection? Nothing better to do with your time than poke your nose into other people's affairs??

You can't be watching techy videos from the internet like you suggested earlier, or you wouldn't be able to both watch them and get enough sleep.

So are you calling me a liar then??

Why not just tell people what you are doing, and the throughput you're getting while doing it?

What business is it to you or anybody else? I use my BB connection to suit my needs. Just like everybody else.

Chris

BT ULTRA user
Standard User Finguz
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 04-Jan-10 14:31:57
Print Post

I wouldn't say you were a liar but you are clearly full of it and yourself smile

You laugh in the face of BT's FUP, you were the first residential broadband customer in southern Scotland, you're an 'Ultra' BT user...

Yawn...

VivacitiLLU

Edited by Finguz (Mon 04-Jan-10 14:35:28)

Standard User mil1401
(member) Mon 04-Jan-10 16:02:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by Finguz:
You laugh in the face of BT's FUP,

Where is your evidence of this? Or are you just making things up?
you were the first residential broadband customer in southern Scotland, you're an 'Ultra' BT user...

Yawn...

Is that it? Is that your best insult??

Chris

BT ULTRA user
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Mon 04-Jan-10 16:15:36
Print Post

To save multi-quoting hassles,

"Well sh, why are you so interested in what I do with my BB connection?"

Because I work in the telecoms industry, have a more than passing interest in the applications of ADSL, and I'd be interested to know what kind of usage generates roughly 10TB of throughput a year without the data being stored or used.

"Nothing better to do with your time than poke your nose into other people's affairs??"

I didn't poke anything. You posted figures (edit - on a public forum)...

"So are you calling me a liar then??"

Reread my posts, I haven't stooped to name calling. All I've done is asked a question.

"What business is it to you or anybody else?"

None, none at all. Which makes me wonder why you bother posting up facts and figures, then become aggressive and obtuse when people on here ask you a couple of questions.

So, why keep avoiding the question? What are you doing that generates so much throughput without you storing or using the data? Seriously - I'm interested.

TBH I also wonder why you are with BT when you could likely use an LLU provider like Be and get even more throughput for less money.

Edited by shtu (Mon 04-Jan-10 16:17:44)

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 04-Jan-10 16:25:08
Print Post

This is what is wrong with this forum.

Too many people getting their knickers in a twist over other people's broadband connection and what they do with it. I mean....how dare I use my BB connection to download more than someone else!!!

I posted the 702 Gigabyte figure as an example, to show that being throttled back isn't the huge issue that some people make it out to be.

As it says in the speed restriction email.....

Please note: your service isn't affected in any other way - we restrict only your speed, not your ability to upload and download.

I think some people may get their knickers in a twist as the wisdom of the crowd suggests that BT are a very poor isp that throttle everything other than web pages and punters should move to the back bedroom reseller of the month or one of the eye wateringly expensive providers with hard caps and punitive excess use charges.

Your usage somewhat undermines that wisdom. smile

I've always been happy with BT and am happy enough with the only throttling I see which is evening p2p use.

So perhaps you could tell us what throttling you see at that usage?

Standard User mil1401
(member) Mon 04-Jan-10 17:38:27
Print Post

I'd be interested to know what kind of usage generates roughly 10TB of throughput a year without the data being stored or used.

Why have you just made-up that figure of 10 terabytes?

Chris

BT ULTRA user
Standard User Finguz
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 04-Jan-10 17:44:14
Print Post

Is that it? Is that your best insult??

I wasn't aware it was an insult?

I thought I had summarised what you have said so far and then yawned, indicating your claims are about as interesting as watching paint dry smile

VivacitiLLU

Standard User shtu
(experienced) Mon 04-Jan-10 18:07:31
Print Post

I'd be interested to know what kind of usage generates roughly 10TB of throughput a year without the data being stored or used.

Fair enough, I couldn't be bothered with a calculator earlier ("roughly"), so I'll indulge you for a moment.

(702.145+20.265) x 12 = 8668.92 / 1024 = 8.4657421875 TB

Let's call it 8.5TB (since that's how rounding works)

So, I've answered your question, are you going to keep dodging mine?

What application do you have for roughly 8.5TB of throughput, which you claim you neither store nor use?
Standard User mil1401
(member) Mon 04-Jan-10 19:00:02
Print Post

Fair enough, I couldn't be bothered with a calculator earlier ("roughly"), so I'll indulge you for a moment.

(702.145+20.265) x 12 = 8668.92 / 1024 = 8.4657421875 TB

Let's call it 8.5TB (since that's how rounding works)

So, I've answered your question, are you going to keep dodging mine?

What application do you have for roughly 8.5TB of throughput, which you claim you neither store nor use?

Hook, line and sinker.

You seem to be obsessed with this figure of 702 Gigabytes.

Where did I say that I download 702 Gigabytes every month?

The facts are that...

1. I am on an unlimited service
2. I am subject to FUP and I am completely fine with that
3. I use my connection within the T&C's
4. I have been with BT for 3 years and when my 12 month contract auto-renews in February, I will enter a fourth year with BT.

If BT are happy to continue offering me a broadband connection, I am happy to use that service in whatever way suits my needs....despite the fact that some people on here, have a bee in their bonnet on how I use that service.

Chris

BT ULTRA user
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Mon 04-Jan-10 19:41:11
Print Post

I think now is a good time to requote my first post on the topic.

And this is the bit I love on this type of discussion. laugh

People who shovel truly stupendous amounts of data through a domestic phone line for relatively few £ per month, who are then asked what on earth they are actually doing.

"Er, stuff. That's right. Stuff. er, er."

All I have asked is what you are doing to generate (insert figure of mil's choice) throughput, while claiming to neither store nor use the data.

You have chosen to be obtuse and agressive, repeatedly avoiding the question.

I'll let the people reading draw their own conclusions. Feel free to answer the question if you like, but as you've deliberately avoided it so far I'll assume it's nothing more interesting than torrents. Pity.
Standard User mil1401
(member) Mon 04-Jan-10 19:57:29
Print Post

All I have asked is what you are doing to generate (insert figure of mil's choice) throughput,

I ask again....what business is it of yours? Why have you got your knickers in a twist over my broadband usage? Are you jealous, is that it?

Feel free to answer the question if you like, but as you've deliberately avoided it so far I'll assume it's nothing more interesting than torrents. Pity.

Wrong. Would you like another try?

Chris

BT ULTRA user
Standard User revchips
(regular) Tue 05-Jan-10 05:56:44
Print Post

Hi, been reading with interest and just thought i'd have a guess or two (as you threw it open)
1 work related stuff - possibly to do with avatar as that used a lot of data
2 sending out spam (but being completely unaware due to viruses)
3 running cctv
4 running an "adult" webcam service
5 looking at an "adult" webcam service for an unhealthy amount of time
6 online shopping for players for manchester city
7 online shopping for the whole of scotland
8 rewatching doctor who "the end of time" over and over in high definition as its so good
9 watching ebay constantly for a genuine bargain
10 starting flame wars on message boards

or two or more of the above.

just a guess though

smile
Standard User RobertoS
(legend) Tue 05-Jan-10 18:37:54
Print Post

[re: revchips] [link to this post]

11) Running a pseudo-internet cafe for his mates to download in bulk using this connection and they all have cheaper good connections with low allowances. Possibly he too.

Bob's broadband basic info/help site:
www.robertos.me.uk
Standard User Simon888
(learned) Tue 02-Feb-10 12:39:16
Print Post

WOW here is the proof that the "Speed Restriction Warning" emails that are sent out are delayed.

I have just received my warning email for January's usage is now above 80GB and today's date is the 2nd February.

So I wonder how delayed these emails are.

Can someone from BT_Care confirm that this will not affect my February allocation.

Thanks

Simon
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to