User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User djg2008
(newbie) Sat 01-Jan-11 15:13:54
Print Post

BT HomeHub 2.0 broadband disconnections

[link to this post]

Hello,

Recently, since recieving BT HomeHub 2, it has been basically dropping Broadband connectivity rather frequently for a matter of 20 seconds or so. I play World of Warcraft, and it seems to happen noticably mostly while playing this game, as when I stop, I don't tend to notice this happen so much (although it does, of course, still happen).

I stopped using the first HomeHub 2.0 router they sent after upgrading, went back to using my ancient HomeHub 1.0 rusty breeze block. It worked remarkably well, until recently. After about a month, it too, decided to start dropping broadband connectivity while playing World of Warcraft after a long period of time without doing this. The PC I play on has always been connected directly via Ethernet cable.

I got onto BT, they sent me a new 2.0 router. I got it just before New Years Eve after ringing up the day after Boxing Day. Great timing for the post, although it was just sitting outside the front door when I got back from being out. Long story short, it's now (as predicted) doing exactly the same as the first one, even though it seemed okay for the first day. Frequent disconnects, which very much interrupts the gaming. I'm at my tether, I just want to cancel at the moment, but am worried about being caught in a 12 month contract with them, even though the service is unacceptable.

I have tried a lot of the things I came across. I'll start off by posting some of the router info. If anyone could help, I would be grateful. Thinking of switching over to Sky at this rate.

BT HomeHub 2.0
Version 8.1.H.J (Type A)

Connection information
Line state Connected
Connection time 0 days, 1:42:34
Downstream 14,721 Kbps
Upstream 828 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.5
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 6.8 dB / 6.4 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 31.5 dB / 16.7 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 21.0 dBm / 12.1 dBm

The telephone and router are connected to the secondary (hardwired) telephone socket in the house via a HomeHub2 Microfilter. It would be extremely infeasible now, to rewire the phone and router to the main one downstairs. I tried taking this upstairs (old socket) apart and unwiring the 1st, 3rd, 4th and 6th wires as I read on a website to try and get the best out of the ADSL2+, and hopefully prevent these issues. There were no issues with the phone or router, however it still didn't fix the broadband disconnection issue.

All the best,
David
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 01-Jan-11 17:36:27
Print Post

Re: BT HomeHub 2.0 broadband disconnections

[re: djg2008] [link to this post]

That phone wiring sounds unusual. No telecomms engineer would have connected all 6 wires. It could be there is a problem there. So a few thoughts.

First, it is at the Master socket that 1,3,4,6 need disconnecting. You have done it at the extension, which is fine - you haven't done any harm, but not much good either.

Second, when you do that, write down what colours are attached to all six. That will help tell us if it is the right or wrong sort of cable.

And finally, check that the ones on 2 and 5 are the same colour at each end. For example, they may be Blue with White markings, and White with Blue markings. Make sure they don't cross over between the two sockets.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User wichitalineman
(learned) Sat 01-Jan-11 21:27:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

There was a time in the past when engineers did connect all 6 wires for neatness. Thankfully its rare now.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Jan-11 21:29:40
Print Post

'No telecomms engineer would have connected all 6 wires.'

Oh Bobby, Bobby, Bobby ...........

ask some of the 'old hands' on here. BT (as it was then) engineers internal wiring course, instructed engineers to terminate all 3 pairs.

(learned) Sat 01-Jan-11 21:31:27
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Steady with the "old " or we'll be round for tea and biscuits...
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 01-Jan-11 21:50:07
Print Post

Oooops!

Well, every air ace got shot down in flames at some time smile.

David, note that the guys that have actually been doing the job since it was the GPO were only disagreeing with what I said about the six wires all being connected.

You still need to do the disconnections at the master end, and check the colours on 2 and 5 to make sure they aren't crossed over, though even that I might get pulled up on next, as maybe something wouldn't work at all if they were crossed. Though IIRC it does work, just not well.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Jan-11 21:55:46
Print Post

[re: wichitalineman] [link to this post]

No worries mate, I'll fix my own thanks !

Thameswey me, how's about you ?

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 01-Jan-11 22:01:25
Print Post

Fig biscuits used to be a favourite treat when I was a kid. Very rarely got them though.

(learned) Sat 01-Jan-11 22:02:17
Print Post

When last I checked ..Northern Home Counties...Aylesbury cst.
Standard User RandomJointer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 02-Jan-11 00:28:45
Print Post

I always terminated all the pairs. But then I always turned down tea and biscuits too. Far better to make your own without the benefit of a damn good listening to. smile

Standard User djg2008
(newbie) Sun 02-Jan-11 06:20:24
Print Post

Well, the two wires left in tact are the middle ones (right and left). The right one I think is solid Blue, and the left one is Blue and White. They are not crossing over. I didn't cut the other redundant ones just in case, I just twiddled them (disconnected ones) around each other and put them aside before putting the case back on. The upstairs socket is pretty old.

As for the master one downstairs, there are just two wires and it is labelled A and B. The guide I followed didn't cover this, so I assumed it was okay.

Any ideas as to why this random broadband-dropping could be happening?

PS: Something I omitted to say before. I did say that this only noticably happens when playing World of Warcraft. What I forgot to mention is, it seems ONLY to be happening at around early morning (8am) onwards. When its the early hours, it SEEMS not to happen, implying it could be a line/network traffic issue (although I'm probably looking too deep into it). I don't know if that would help at all.

Edited by djg2008 (Sun 02-Jan-11 06:30:37)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 02-Jan-11 10:12:31
Print Post

Looks to me like we may need one of these engineers who have commented to give an opinion on that one, excpet I'm not happy about the downstairs master. Has that got a phone socket, or is it just a junction box?

Does the inside of it look like any of the ones on this page, and what about the extension that you are using.

Note that there are several similar pairings there, and which it is matters. Typically the Masters are the ones ending 1A and having a capacitor(s), (the small cylinders), and the 2A/3As are extensions and no capacitor.

(learned) Sun 02-Jan-11 14:00:04
Print Post

A picture of inside and outside of the sockets would make thing soooo much clearer...please.
Standard User djg2008
(newbie) Sun 02-Jan-11 21:53:42
Print Post

Okay uploading some pictures now, excuse the quality.

Downstairs Socket
1. Outside
2. Inside, Outer Facing
3. Inner Plate
4. Inside

Upstairs Socket
1. Outside
2. Inside

Hope this is enough info.
(learned) Sun 02-Jan-11 22:19:33
Print Post

Thanks, that makes things clearer. There are NO extensions ( upstairs ) directly connected to your master socket.

There IS a junction box of some description somewhere...probably where the line comes into the house ? If you can find it, remove the cover, touch nothing and could we have a picture please..quality so far is ok !

More later.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 02-Jan-11 23:51:42
Print Post

Eeee lad, good to see you're here!

I saw the pics and it took me a few minutes to work out what he had photographed with the Master. Then I decided to see what you said, and of course you are right but I didn't think of it immediately.

Standard User djg2008
(newbie) Mon 03-Jan-11 06:25:39
Print Post

I shall try, but to be honest I'm not too sure where I'm looking. I'll ask dad if he knows where this could be located later on when he wakes up. Keep you posted. Sorry about the confusion, I'm not much of a hardware man. Using a screwdriver is about the length of my expertise, lol..
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 03-Jan-11 09:03:26
Print Post

You're doing fine so far.

If the line comes to the house from a pole the junction box should be inside the house fairly close to where it enters. I doubt if it's outside, though we had a small square one just inside the carport roof that seemed to have no purpose except to terminate the wire round the outside of the house. (I suppose that made sense in case it needed replacing).

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-Jan-11 20:33:17
Print Post

You know Matt Kinnaid ?

(learned) Mon 03-Jan-11 21:59:47
Print Post

Fraid not...not unless he does the same work as me, mainly fttc installs, but I might know him, but not by name. I don't even see my team members these days, unless it's a wave in passing.
Standard User andyboygsi
(member) Tue 04-Jan-11 10:47:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by wichitalineman:
Fraid not...not unless he does the same work as me, mainly fttc installs, but I might know him, but not by name. I don't even see my team members these days, unless it's a wave in passing.

join the club, thats the same up and down ze country. to busy to talk anyway haha

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.
Standard User andyboygsi
(member) Tue 04-Jan-11 10:50:46
Print Post

[re: andyboygsi] [link to this post]

back on topic though you may well be star wired somewhere, the 4 wire pictures is not exactly brand new so star wiring would be expected.

the extension going by the fact its 6 wire rather than 4 wire would point at that being a later addition.

just follow the cables either inside going around the house or from outside heading in. you will find it eventually. be carefull though as its before the master it would be considered openreachs network.

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.
Standard User djg2008
(newbie) Fri 07-Jan-11 10:09:33
Print Post

[re: andyboygsi] [link to this post]

Ahhh... If I'm right, the said Junction box would be about 20 ft up in the corner (I live not on a council estate, but its a block of flats/maisonettes, like a Lodge type place). The Junction box seems old, black, and it has a lot of wires running from it going into each house. Not really possible to take a picture of it open.

PS: Sorry for the delay.

Edited by djg2008 (Fri 07-Jan-11 10:10:27)

(learned) Fri 07-Jan-11 20:31:05
Print Post

Given that you have 2 different cables to your sockets, there must be an internal junction box ! Try following the cables back to where they come into the Flat . You should find a joint somewhere.

These comments are my own and in no way represent any company that I may or may not be linked to.
Standard User djg2008
(newbie) Mon 10-Jan-11 16:01:21
Print Post

There is a tiny little white box, where the wires seperate to go to in the direction of their respective sockets, its just above the front door. It is literally 2 inches in length, maybe less than an inch high and about 2 or 3 cm deep. I thought a 'Junction box' would be bigger than the actual phone socket boxes. If you cut the upstairs socket posted earlier in half horizontally, that is how big this 'box' would be. Not quite as big depth-wise. To me it just looks like something to keep the wires in one place.

Edited by djg2008 (Mon 10-Jan-11 16:03:29)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to