User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ClubLife
(newbie) Tue 25-Jan-11 16:20:22
Print Post

Re: Insanely High Ping & Suspected Stuck bRAS Profile

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Just thought I'd report back since I hadn't posted an update for awhile.

Once the IP profile had sorted itself out I decided to switch out the HH1 for the HH2 I'd brought back from Coventry. It seems to be a lot more stable than the HH1 on first impressions.

The phone sockets all worked after plugging the test socket back in, so that's all good! And we seem to get a clearer sound on the phones now when talking to people, atleast I seem to think so! So thank you all for your help with the rewiring laugh I learnt an aweful lot, and am very thankful for the knowledge that you've passed on to me.

Since the HH2 has been plugged in, the ping has remained constant at ~27ms during offpeak, and ~43ms during peak times. The SNR sits at between 4.3dB and 6dB during the day, and between 5.3dB and 6.8dB during the evening. The router's synced at 7616Kbps on IP profile 6500Kbps, and we were achieving a max of ~6470Kpbs which was expected with a line attentuation of 27.0dB with interleaving turned on.

I have now had interleaving turned off, thanks to BT_Care on this forum, and am happy to report that the line seems stable. I did need to restart the router myself, but since then it seems to be working flawlessly. Pings to UK servers are averaging an all time low of ~15ms! (And I've now got my beloved PS3 back so can't wait to get back to gaming, plus Starcraft II can be removed from its wrapping laugh), the router has synced at 8128Kbps happily, and I'm now just waiting for the IP profile to rise to 7150Kpbs and our line to max out hopefully at ~7meg.

All in all, it's a vast improvement from the 2-3meg we were receiving, dropping to almost 1meg during peak times.

Thanks once again to everyone who's helped!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 25-Jan-11 17:05:46
Print Post

[re: ClubLife] [link to this post]

It is indeed somewhat different! smile

I'm still puzzled by why the noise margin rises in the evening. I think there must be an external source of noise somewhere that goes at the end of the working day.

Does the same effect happen at weekends, or does it stay high on Sat/Sun?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User ClubLife
(newbie) Tue 25-Jan-11 18:04:50
Print Post

I love it when things work properly, and to the best of their ability laugh

I'm stumped by the noise as well, although not worried about it as much as I would be if it was going above 9! haha. I think it's the street lights outside, but have no way of positively saying whether that is it or not! I'm going to keep an eye on it for the rest of the week and see if it stays up at the weekend.

I did notice a work site has gone up recently (In the past few weeks atleast) but that is about half a mile away, and they work during daylight, so would have completely the opposite effect.

I shall keep you posted! smile

Edit: Right now the noise margin is at 4.8dB and the street lights are already on, so who knows!

Edited by ClubLife (Tue 25-Jan-11 18:07:54)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 25-Jan-11 18:15:31
Print Post

[re: ClubLife] [link to this post]

If street lights do anything, they introduce noise so lower the margin. The point is it is going in the wrong direction in the evening. It should fall.

The work site sounds exactly what would cause this, if they are generating electro-magnetic noise.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User ClubLife
(newbie) Thu 27-Jan-11 17:35:11
Print Post

Oh, so the street lights would make it lower towards zero? It seems to have settled more now. In the day it's going up to ~6.5dB, in the evening it drops as low as 3.5dB (From what I've witnessed when checking)

Wouldn't the work site need to be active during the evening when the SNR was rising, instead of falling in order to be the cause?

We did lose connection two nights ago, and when I called the helpline there was a recorded message stating that BT were doing maintenance on their network between 12am-6am. Since it's been back up, it's been a lot more stable! Hopefully whatever they did continues to work like it is now laugh
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to