User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User orly
(experienced) Fri 25-Feb-11 01:01:22
Print Post

Re: Coming Back To BT ..... maybe

[re: mikeycrawford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mikeycrawford:
line stats of my router
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4032 kbps 576 kbps
Line Attenuation 39 db 11 db
Noise Margin 12 db 21 db

Hmm...with that noise margin you might get 5mbit

"boosted to 14mbit" is complete nonsense.

---
BT Infinity 8th July 2010
Connected to: P23 Kilmaine Road, Bangor, BT19 6DT (NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up

Previously:
BT Broadband, roughly 4mbit sync
4KM line / 54dB atten / 9dB SNR / Netgear DG834GT
Standard User m0aur
(member) Fri 25-Feb-11 08:48:37
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

39dB attenuation is not too bad, and subject to keeping the line noise down, should give 6MB speed, which is around what the OP was previously getting with BT, but it seems they have added total lies and desperation to their sales pitch.
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

Post Office Home phone with 8Mb Broadband Extra.
20" iMac Dual 2.66gHz 4 Gb Ram.
Post Office Test Result

Edited by m0aur (Fri 25-Feb-11 08:57:58)

Standard User mikeycrawford
(regular) Fri 25-Feb-11 09:59:14
Print Post

[re: m0aur] [link to this post]

The problem I will have with the resellers is that my line is with an LLU supplier (Bulldog). Whenever I go on an ISP site I get "We cannot confirm availability for this number", so before I can consider ISPs like the Post Office I need to have a BT line, Can the post office arrange this without me having a contract with BT to install (or reclaim) the line.

The sales call from BT sounded ideal in so much as they would take care of it all for me - bringing me 'back to BT' - which I'm now beginning to doubt having seen the replies so far. I suppose guaranteeing 14Mb should be a deal breaker in itself .... additional line rental most definitely would. It would then be closer to £40, when I was paying £20 for unlimited internet and line rental just 2 months ago before I got P'd off by them.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User m0aur
(member) Fri 25-Feb-11 11:11:22
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

The £10 BT line rental IF you pay a years line rental up front, is just one of many recent BT money grabs. The cash would be better in your bank. Post Office line rental is ONLY £10. 21p per month with NO minimum contract, no up front payment and no penalty for which ever way you pay your bills. Off peak is still 6.00 pm - 6.00am unlike BT.

Post Office Test Result
Standard User m0aur
(member) Fri 25-Feb-11 11:16:53
Print Post

The Post Office will install and activate a new line for £112 (sometimes free), http://www2.postoffice.co.uk/broadband-phone/home-ph... which as far as I know, is once again cheaper than BT - Not bad for re-badged BT.
Edit:- Looks like there is a BT offer to waive the new line charge if you take the top priced phone & Broadband package. http://www.homephonechoices.co.uk/article.asp?id=bt-... So by the time you pay for Mobile and non-geographical calls not included in the package, you are looking at around £50 per month, over £20 per month more than the Post Office, where 0845, 0870, Off peak, weekend mobile & International calls are free.
As the old saying goes, there is no such thing as a free lunch, and it looks like it also applies to line connection and exaggerating speeds.

Post Office Test Result

Edited by m0aur (Fri 25-Feb-11 11:28:27)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Feb-11 09:11:49
Print Post

Since you are on Bulldog, that is the Cable and wireless network, is it not possible to change from Bulldog/Talk Talk or who ever they are now onto a reseller for Cable and wireless like ADSL24, Vivacitie?

Are you still fully unbundled?

I would not go back to BT, you may get a high sync speed, but Bt will make sure you will not use it due to their traffic management.

I am on the old bulldog network with ADSL24, just under £20 a month and I get true unlimited and no traffic management. i know I don't get great speed, just about 4Megabits, but that is because of the length of my line. but at least I do get what I am suppose to get and not what Bt thinks i should get

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User orly
(experienced) Thu 03-Mar-11 00:20:37
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
I would not go back to BT, you may get a high sync speed, but Bt will make sure you will not use it due to their traffic management.

Nonsense.

---
600m (approx) to cabinet

Previously:
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Mar-11 14:37:45
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by orly:

Nonsense.

So the fact that I could not access BBC Iplayer or You Tube most of the time because of traffic management is not Bt fault then?

Before you tell me that Bt don't traffic manage anything apart from P2P, then why is it that I can now use Iplayer and you tube on the ISp I am using now?

I know I got a slightly higher sync speed, something else that Bt stupid system could not give me, but I never got anywhere near the sync speed from speed tests i did with Bt.

Bt is just rubbish, over priced and naff service, simple as that, never been any different and they will never change
]

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User orly
(experienced) Thu 03-Mar-11 17:39:55
Print Post

Nonsense.

So the fact that I could not access BBC Iplayer or You Tube most of the time because of traffic management is not Bt fault then?

Before you tell me that Bt don't traffic manage anything apart from P2P, then why is it that I can now use Iplayer and you tube on the ISp I am using now?

I know I got a slightly higher sync speed, something else that Bt stupid system could not give me, but I never got anywhere near the sync speed from speed tests i did with Bt.

Bt is just rubbish, over priced and naff service, simple as that, never been any different and they will never change
]

If you couldn't access youtube or iplayer, which are just websites, then you're doing something wrong.

---
600m (approx) to cabinet

Previously:
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Mar-11 17:54:23
Print Post

Nonsense.

]

can only assume your connection stats were/are poor if you could not play Iplayer or youtube. Have no issues here with those two in particular. But don`t get me started on the Homehub !! Its just pure rank.

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to