User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User geordiekris
(experienced) Wed 30-Mar-11 18:32:00
Print Post

Re: Big Problem - hope this is the best place to post!

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

That was whn BT Retail still had access to CSS "openreaches tools" and striclty speaking wasnt allowed but we new a way no BT Retail have no access to CSS so no chance now

i can say whatever i want as i no longer work for the [censored]!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 30-Mar-11 21:24:47
Print Post

[re: geordiekris] [link to this post]

New job geordie, or retired?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Standard User geordiekris
(experienced) Thu 31-Mar-11 08:25:21
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

erm this years example. managed out of the company is the polite version

i can say whatever i want as i no longer work for the [censored]!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 31-Mar-11 12:56:38
Print Post

[re: Footys] [link to this post]

What exactly (copy and paste and blank out phone number) does the BT Wholesale checker at

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

say about your first line?

It is not uncommon for reps to interpret words like 'may not work' as 'will not work' which of course are two different things. The trick really would have been to ignore the reps and just order online, which will have accepted the order, unless the line was red flagged.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Apr-11 09:51:15
Print Post

[re: geordiekris] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by geordiekris:
erm this years example. managed out of the company is the polite version

sounds familiar , your either with us or.............

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Standard User Footys
(experienced) Fri 01-Apr-11 19:59:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for everyones replies

This is what the link said:
For Telephone Number on Exchange DRYSLWYN

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that it is VERY UNLIKELY you will be able to receive fixed 512Kbps or 256Kbps broadband service due to the very long length of your telephone line. However, your order will be accepted if you still wish to order. An engineer may need to visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 1Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 250Kbps and 2Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Thank you for your interest.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 01-Apr-11 20:03:30
Print Post

Okay well BT Wholesale will take an order on that line, looks like someone at BT Retail was just being pessimistic. So place order online and then once connected you will get the stats and see how the line performs.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Footys
(experienced) Fri 01-Apr-11 23:07:03
Print Post

Thanks for taking the time to reply - so do you think its best just to forget about the new line he had installed and leave it disconnected and just order the broadband on his old original line? If it turns out he cant get broadband on his original line what are the options then do you think?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 02-Apr-11 11:05:45
Print Post

Forget about new line for now, try broadband on the original line, which I presume has the phone number on it that they want on it too.

If that BB is vastly slower than what they go on the other line, then this will cost more, but avoids the number migration issues.

i.e. leave the current phone number in place...
re-activate the second line with whatever number they want, get the bb running on it.

Yes means paying two line rentals, but can be useful for business, as with the number of times you have to hold these days, I do a incoming/outgoing line trick, i.e. one line has a minimal inclusive calls package, the other has totally inclusive.

I also run BB on both phone lines, to give me back up for the days when one is mucking about. Need to use two different providers for that.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sat 02-Apr-11 11:15:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
I do a incoming/outgoing line trick, i.e. one line has a minimal inclusive calls package, the other has totally inclusive.
Are you with BT for call packages? Are both lines on the same a/c no? If so, you can have just 1 call plan (the inclusive one) + 2 line rentals to cover both lines. I have 2 lines with a single BT Anytime Call Plan applicable to both. smile

EDIT: It may be different if you are a business customer.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sat 02-Apr-11 11:16:39)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to