User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 20-Apr-11 18:31:36
Print Post

Re: BT Dropping Fair Use Policy?

[re: MrGrumpy] [link to this post]

You'd think, reading the ramblings of plenty of users on other ISPs that BT get you to ask permission to do everything and then inspect and stifle any resulting action like some kind of internet based view screen from the film 1984. I'm wondering why, after using the web, iplayer, gaming, general downloads, usenet and all that jazz that I haven't noticed it running like treacle. Do these others know something that I, as an actual user, don't?

Of course it's in the interest of others to do this. Their "unlimited" internet plans from their ISPs almost always cost more so they need as much stuff on their plan to be seen as better to make it look like a wise investment. Unfortunately they've just been duped into it because somehow they simply couldn't accept firing 25 quid a month to BT for what is actually a superb service.

Personally I've had people from Zen having a go. That's Zen who charge you over 40 quid to get a 50GB usage LIMIT and 2Mb upload LIMITED connection. If you dare desire 10Mbit upload, the cheapest they can manage is 66 quid! And don't be forgetting the activation charge either. Or hardware.

Then we've had the IDNet crowd crowing about how they're apparently the best ISP around. But for the same money you give to BT, they seem to think that a 15GB peak time and 45GB off peak allowance is "less limited". And don't be forgetting the activation charge either. Or hardware wink

Now it seems like an ADSL24 user has decided to have a go. What do ADSL24 give you for around 25 quid on FTTC? a 30GB "peak" allowance (sounds limiting to me). Almost farcically, peak time is 16 hours a day. Frankly, LOL. 2Mbit upload? Sounds less than the 7Mbit my line manages. Want 49 quid off me to activate it and won't even give me a router? Sounds like a pile of horsesh... to me. But of course they won't "manage" the connection when you use it. They've done enough restriction before you even get online. What if I decided to download 400GB when I felt like it using ADSL24? At 6.50 per 5GB over my allowance I think it could get pricey unless I "restricted" myself and only downloaded anything during the night when I tend to like sleeping. Imagine if I decided to use HD iplayer during the day when I'm awake? Heavens.

---
BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up

Click here to see Comparison of FTTC ISPs
Which FTTC ISP do you use?
Standard User geordiekris
(experienced) Wed 20-Apr-11 20:42:53
Print Post

[re: TheHorseman] [link to this post]

Basic BTB option 3 here with traffic management and works for me ok as i have said just dont try torrent or p2p during peek period

i can say whatever i want as i no longer work for the [censored]!
Standard User reme8488
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Apr-11 21:46:28
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

For an FTTC connection BT is unbeatable at the moment (& for a good while to come) with their price for Option 2 & all that goes with it. The deal I got was unbeatable by other ISPs that I tried before finally settling for BT for a new line & Infinity - free line installation, free installation of Infinity & £8 a month reduction for 3 months on the cost of Infinity.

My connection hasn't dropped since the installation on February 8th (2011). Speeds have been rock solid, both upstream & downstream since installation. I use Sky Player a lot (football, other sports & movies), which has been rock solid on the streaming & standard downloading. i-player, youtube & such like have also been running perfectly.

As for my Sky Unlimited connection, it does exactly what it's supposed to do 24/7 & is also rock solid. The price for my Sky connection would be hard to beat.

The difference between my Sky connection & BT connection is the throttling of p2p during peak hours, but it's no big deal as it's easy enough to download something via p2p during offpeak hours.

Overall I'm chuffed with my Infinity connection & the same with my Sky Unlimited connection. I've been nowhere near the BT 300GB limit though (don't think I have been close to 300GB on my Sky connection either & there's 5 of us using the internet in my house).

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Regards...
Tom

My Photo Galleries

Line 1: Sky LLU @ 6.5mbit/1mbit
Line 2: BT Infinity @ 38.7mbit/10mbit (line length to FTTC cab 547m exactly)

My Broadband Speed Test

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1190768709.png

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User reme8488
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Apr-11 22:03:13
Print Post

[re: TheHorseman] [link to this post]

With a family you can soon get through the GBs, especially with an FTTC connection. I keep my daughters on my Sky connection, which serves them well - youtube, facebook, college work, i-player & so on. I have the sole use of the FTTC connection (it was my gift to me ... along with the new phoneline & a phone that I can actually use when I want to use it! It certainly beats having to use my mobile all the time for calls or asking the girls if there's any chance of using the landline!laugh).

I used just over 41GB in the first week that I had Infinity. Now my use just goes up when I watch movies or sports on Sky Player for the most part. I did use a bit up when watching series 3 of Extreme Fishing though (sad, but true frown)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Regards...
Tom

My Photo Galleries

Line 1: Sky LLU @ 6.5mbit/1mbit
Line 2: BT Infinity @ 38.7mbit/10mbit (line length to FTTC cab 547m exactly)

My Broadband Speed Test

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1190768709.png
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to