User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User burakkucat
(regular) Thu 12-May-11 03:41:35
Print Post

Re: Speed Variation

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Bob, I've got good enough resolution to confirm that, in Picture 2, from the incoming drop cable there is the pair, blue to A & white to B connected to the rear IDC of the NTE5A.

Looking at Pic 3 and then Pic 1, I can see that blue/white is connected to the EU faceplate, whilst its corresponding white/blue is disconnected.

From what the OP has said, I think it is fairly certain that having the EU faceplate (with it's semi-connected extension wiring) plugged into the NTE5A body will be contributing to this issue.

Would you agree?

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User Speedchaser
(newbie) Thu 12-May-11 09:33:37
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

TB Speedtest this morning showed 6.1Meg download speed and 0.4Meg upload. Thats fantastic! Still running hub straight to test plate. I'm assuming that if I put the face plate back on and connect my hub via it then my speed will drop again. If I test this theory out and switch back again is this going to mess with the system.? I'm guessing I should also try the face plate with the blue internal wire that runs to nowhere removed to help establish if it is the faceplate that is to blame or the incomplete wiring.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Thu 12-May-11 11:18:36
Print Post

[re: Speedchaser] [link to this post]

I think burakkucat is correct and you have a disconnected wire.

Would it be possible to get a close-up of the detachable face plate where the blue/white wires are attached, and a close-up of where those wires are attached at the other end?

Do you have a working phone at home?

eta: I don't want to call you, just assumed your home phone wouldn't work!

Edited by john2007 (Thu 12-May-11 11:20:05)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Thu 12-May-11 12:47:14
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

I have addae extra photos (LINK) and will make more sense of my at length description in previous post. I have a cordless phone which has always worked fine.( It is attached to the splitter the hub is conected to as this is my only socket)

Left hub conected overnight to test socket and tested this morning. The blue wire to the faceplate was effectively disconnected/isolated as I was plugged straight into the test socket. Recieved the following stats
Downstream 8,128 Kbps
Upstream 448 Kbps

Noise margin (Down/Up) 9.0 dB / 23.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 36.0 dB / 19.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 19.8 dBm / 12.1 dBm
Running TB speedtester showed 6.1Meg down which is about double what I have ever got since I was connected in January

Detached the blue wire from faceplate pin 2. (This wire is part of the white line that runs from the single downstairs socket to the upstairs. Further investigation has found it just ends upstairs directly at one socket only but no plate at all yet so this line just ends dead) Anyway detached the blue wire and rerun test with hub pluged into faceplate, obtaining the following.
Downstream 8,128 Kbps
Upstream 448 Kbps

Noise margin (Down/Up) 9.3 dB / 23.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 19.8 dBm / 12.4 dBm

Then I reconected blue wire to faceplate pin 2 as it had been as left by openreach/electrician and re run test with hub pluged into faceplate obtaining the following:
Downstream 5,120 Kbps
Upstream 448 Kbps

Noise margin (Down/Up) 8.4 dB / 22.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 19.8 dBm / 12.3 dBm

Finally I disconected the blue wire and with the haub plugged into the faceplate obtained:
Downstream 8,128 Kbps
Upstream 448 Kbps
Noise margin (Down/Up) 9.2 dB / 23.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 19.8 dBm / 12.2 dBm

So it seems that the attaching of the blue wire to the faceplate causes the problem?
(newbie) Thu 12-May-11 13:30:22
Print Post

TB Speedtester is now showing speed of 4.1Meg. I'm taking that it has dropped because of my one reading of 5meg on my router stats during testing, so its sync'ed to this speed? Router tests currently still confirm 8128K down so Im taking it the over the next day or two if left as is speeds will again rise to 6+Meg?
Standard User john2007
(legend) Thu 12-May-11 13:41:32
Print Post

I think not connecting the white wire to the face plate is the problem. Connect it to terminal 5.

As a temporary measure you could remove the blue wire, but you will need both wires for corded phones.

eta: I just noticed you have removed the blue wire. Just remember to put blue and white back if you need corded phones.

Edited by john2007 (Thu 12-May-11 13:43:50)

Standard User john2007
(legend) Thu 12-May-11 13:49:57
Print Post

I got there eventually! smile
(newbie) Thu 12-May-11 14:01:06
Print Post

When I first asked for help I was hoping I might be able to see the extra meg speed I got for four days. To now be getting speeds of over 6Meg is just great. But I've been thinking that the spike in speed I saw four four days may have had nothing to do with the dragging of my speed below 3meg?? ie it was a blip in the entire picture. Etheir way I'm estatic as to the outcome and finding the major flaw. Although as asked in the above post, I'm assuming in a few days my TB Speedtest results will increase to match the router stat results?
Standard User john2007
(legend) Thu 12-May-11 14:06:17
Print Post

Sorry, I should have said, yes your speeds will improve. See http://www.robertos.me.uk/html/bt_ip_profiles.html
(newbie) Thu 12-May-11 14:19:37
Print Post

A big thankyou to everyone.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to