User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rigglybob
(newbie) Sun 29-May-11 14:05:53
Print Post

Re: Synced - but no Internet - Chafford Exchange

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

No, it gives 01-01-2000 but assume that's because it can't connect to a time server?
Standard User burakkucat
(member) Sun 29-May-11 14:20:08
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

That seems to be common - and my understanding is that if the line is "idle" the power is "reduced" possibly by not using the higher frequencies and using just the lower ones to keep the line alive. The line data is continuously fed from DSLAM to end user modem so it will have a low power figure in the memory. By asking for line stats during a long, full speed download will give the 19.8 dBm, figure we are used to.
Thanks for that comment. I'll see if I can observe it, sometime, myself. wink

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 29-May-11 14:21:09
Print Post

[re: rigglybob] [link to this post]

Agreed. I guess there's some sort of account problem. Sorry.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 29-May-11 15:23:28
Print Post

In all the testing/messing around, have you at any point powered down the router for 5 minutes? And if that doesn't/didn't work, have you done a factory reset on it?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 29-May-11 15:24:27)

Standard User rigglybob
(newbie) Sun 29-May-11 18:06:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes, and yes. frown
Standard User rigglybob
(newbie) Mon 30-May-11 07:58:03
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Well my connection has miraculously started working again, 48 hours after it went down. and I'm assuming that BT wont be able to tell me why, since they told me it was a line a fault yesterday and are sending an engineer on Wednesday to fix it.

The fault still shows as under investigation and there are no service status updates that relate to my part of the country. I'll phone them and ask them what they've done to fix it but I'm guessing they wont have a clue - which is actually what I expect when I phone them anyway!

The frustration is that they will just say 'oh well, at least it's working' and I'll never know what happened meaning I could well be right back here again at some point.

BT are arguably the most reliable broadband provider out there, but when something goes wrong, they are a DISASTER, and talking to them is like pulling teeth with pliers.

The Indian call centre - i'm sorry - just doesn't work, it may save them money but it puts their customers through the most horrible experience. And there are just too many independent 'parts' of BT to manage, and the buck just gets passed on and on and on.

Sorry, rant over (for now at least). I just wish someone was listening!
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 30-May-11 09:30:06
Print Post

At least it's working wink

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 31-May-11 11:41:40
Print Post

So, BT investigated and believed there was a line fault so scheduled an technician visit. Then suddenly it starts working but BT cannot say why.

It could be that a business user, who pays for a 4 or 24 hour response also had a fault and when that was being investigated and resolved the technician found a problem that might have been affecting 100 or 200 lines. He sorted the problem - cleared the fault and yours was cleared too. Can you imagine how long it would take to go through and find which lines were in a cable, were there any faults, &c &c - it is not cost effective. So, what would you prefer - to have it fixed yesterday or wait another two days?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to