User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Robmonster
(regular) Mon 30-May-11 10:15:13
Print Post

Considering moving to Infinity

[link to this post]

Hi there,

I'm currently with Aquiss under a DSL connection. I'm very happy with their service, rock solid 8Mb speed and great support.

However, I'm being tempted by the massive speeds offered by BT Infinity.

Can someone give me some more details about how Inifiity works?

I am a light P2P user, does this traffic get throttled? I use Iplayer quite a lot, mornings and evenings. Does that play/stream completely or is it jerky?

How is their fair usage policy applied?

I've seen a few complaints here about the service ( to be expected on a forum really) but what is it /really/ like?

Rob

Edited by Robmonster (Mon 30-May-11 10:28:59)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 30-May-11 11:24:20
Print Post

Re: Considering moving to Infinity

[re: Robmonster] [link to this post]

Infinity is BT Broadband's higher FTTC offering. It is hard to beat on value for money, but does have traffic management at times, and I believe P2P restrictions. They have two options, one a 40GB allowance, the other "Unlimited". There used to be a 300GB FUP on the "Unlimited" but that was removed recently.

For an explanation of FTTC see my page here, and the sub-menu page lists other FTTC suppliers. (Including Aquiss). Orly/yarwell's spreadsheet linked to on that page gives a basic summary of them all.

You need to use this checker to get a speed estimate, as if it is below 15Mbps it won't appear on the Infinity checker. You can also check the expected date for your exchange on samknows, as the first checker I gave can be ambiguous about whether it is yet available even when it gives a speed.

Nearly all connections so far to FTTC have been well above the estimate.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 30-May-11 11:25:51)

Standard User geordiekris
(experienced) Tue 31-May-11 19:48:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

not having infinity i cant comment on how the traffic management system works however i have adsl max on option 3 with bt and the unlimited is now truley unlimited hoiwever they do employ trafic management p2p from around 3pm ish to midnight ish daily is unusable i player is absolutley fine hear when ever i use it. and i only got a 3 meg connection.

i can say whatever i want as i no longer work for the [censored]!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 01-Jun-11 03:08:06
Print Post

Never had much problem. Occasionally it disconnects or loses sync for a bit but that's not exactly the ISPs fault.

Iplayer is fine. Gaming is fine. Speed is fine. Newsgroups work a treat. Bit Torrent takes a bit more effort to get running nicely but it can be done if you take the time to do the settings in whatever program you use.

---
BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up

Click here to see Comparison of FTTC ISPs
Which FTTC ISP do you use?
Standard User Bingefeller
(regular) Thu 02-Jun-11 16:16:26
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

I have Infinity and I would highly recommend it. At first I was dubious about getting it after reading the horror stories on this and other forums. Touch wood, I have only had one disconnection since I got it about 8 or so weeks ago and I can't complain about the speeds. I use it for listening to internet radio, watching BBC News and using the iPlayer on BBC too. I have never had any problems with lag or slow streams on these sites.

The speed is great and I get around 3.5 - 4.mb/s.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 02-Jun-11 19:33:28
Print Post

[re: Bingefeller] [link to this post]

I hope you mean 3.5-4MBps, not mbps tongue smile !

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 03-Jun-11 11:49:51
Print Post

8 megabits should be ample for most people to be honest.
the faster the service the more restrictions you will get,, Bt or another ISp for that matter will not want you downloading the whole net type of thing.

If you feel you do need the extra speed then have a look at other ISps that offer Fibre using the BT fibre system, they may offer a better deal.

If I had 8megabits i would be happy, i would not see the need to go any higher.

I get 4 megabits and happy with that.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Sat 04-Jun-11 00:46:59
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Very happy - though don't use P2P so that restruction doesn't bother me

I went from 4/1 to 34/8
* huge leap in upload speed, excellent for online backups
* much faster downloads
* reliable BBC HD streaming
* can now do 1080p youtube
* all of this can be used simultaneously by multiple ppl in house.

For me, switching from O2 LLU, I've been delighted.

Service is rock solid reliable.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Jun-11 10:10:57
Print Post

[re: planetf1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by planetf1:
Very happy - though don't use P2P so that restruction doesn't bother me

I went from 4/1 to 34/8
* huge leap in upload speed, excellent for online backups
* much faster downloads
* reliable BBC HD streaming
* can now do 1080p youtube
* all of this can be used simultaneously by multiple ppl in house.

Service is rock solid reliable.

Do you have problem with Skype? Chatting to someone in Cardiff and they use Infinity, they did use Virgin, but had a row with them, so changed to Infinity, They said that Skype is useless on it, they think it is due to BT traffic management.

If we had infinity here I would not go for it, might be faster, that is it, i don't need 40Megabits, not that it will come here.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Sun 05-Jun-11 10:36:20
Print Post

Actually I don't use skype much at all so I can't answer that, at least not for video

I have it installed/setup, but use chat very occasionally - less than once per week, and probably use it for the odd 0800 call again once or twice per week.

The last video call I made was probably a month ago, and it was fine, though it would have been in office hours (work related) so may not have hit more drastic p2p limits, if it's that that's tripping it up.
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 05-Jun-11 20:17:34
Print Post

Use it all the time. Works perfectly.

---
BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up

Click here to see Comparison of FTTC ISPs
Which FTTC ISP do you use?
Standard User ichilton
(newbie) Thu 09-Jun-11 15:36:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by planetf1:

Is that to BT Infinity, or one of the other ISP's?

I'm also on O2 LLU (get 5/1) and am considering getting FTTC as it's due to be enabled soon.

Thanks,

Ian

http://www.ichilton.co.uk
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 09-Jun-11 16:33:24
Print Post

[re: ichilton] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ichilton:
Re your website in your sig, typo on the site! "In the, we have 5 main mobile network providers ...."

Standard User ichilton
(newbie) Thu 09-Jun-11 16:41:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Well spotted! - Fixed!

Thanks!

Ian

www.ichilton.co.uk
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 09-Jun-11 17:37:09
Print Post

[re: ichilton] [link to this post]

smile

Standard User EastExpert
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 10-Jun-11 03:26:54
Print Post

Same here, moved from O2 Premium because
1) always needed higher speeds, got tired of asking wife "are you downloading? I need to do some work via VPN"
2) O2 have recently jacked up the prices on old, unlimited packages and are clearly wanting to get rid of them altogether, putting everyone on more expensive and limited packages with stupid P2P restrictions.

And so:
* 37.5/8.2 Mbps up/down. Rock stable.
* FREE BT Home Hub 3 (just £5 P&P though, fair enough) -- not many options there but hey, I just want it to work and that's what it does.
* WPA2 security.
* Tab with codes you can take out of router, enter into your laptop, then put back.
* WiFi "N" means the WiFi experience is now much better. Both my work laptops support 802.11n and with both I get a lovely experience where speedtest.net shows me same net speed as above via wired. So saved on switch downstairs already - WiFi now gives me great speed, usually 144 or 130 Mbps nominal.
* You can configure the router to turn off WiFi while you sleep, to save on energy bills even further (they say router even at full op takes less energy than an energy saving light bulb).
* 4 Ethernet ports available; port 4 is Gigabit, ports 1-3 FastEthernet. Also there's USB port, good for a memory stick, but won't work with a printer. Port 4 could be used for your NAS.
* BT FON and OpenZone - virtually unlimited WiFi around whole UK and abroad, too. You can choose to join FON or not - they don't care, you still get your WiFi. I did - it is just fair and they only would give 512kbps separate subnet to the FON customers when they are connected.
* Quite good and convenient billing system.
* Now, no FUP (was about 300GB a month). It's now really Infinity.
* I can see by speedtest.net there is still reserve of bandwidth, so they just shape link rate at 40Mbps, more is definitely possible. The engineer said during the installation that there very probably will be speed upgrade somewhere down the road. (By Force, am I happy after very boring 4/1 I used to have...)

All that for £28 a month: BT Infinity Option 2 (Unlimited) + BT Unlimited Anytime Calls (including 0800, 0845, 0870). First 3 months FREE, router is FREE too, just £5 P&P. I also took Rental Saver offer -- £120 up front for a year's worth of line rental (£12.60 pm otherwise i.e. £151.20 annually).

Additional stuff:
* 5GB space for backup. With this upload speed - 8Mbps - online backup is a doddle. Can buy 50GB if you want but I am very content with SkyDrive now.
* Email account which I use for job search as it has my first & last name - looks serious.
* FREE Security software (McAfee based? dunno, don't use myself) - lots of licences.
* Child web nanny software (for those with kids).

Now, the drawbacks.
* 18 months contract. (So what, if I move house, I'll take this with me.)
* They do shape P2P. Work days from 1500 till 2400, weekends from 0900 till 2400 (if I got my memory right). So I just leave it overnight and in the morning voila, files are here; I set the client to shut down after getting file and seeding till decent ratio. Somehow upload always keeps roughly at 100KB/sec (~800 Kbps) even though it's not limited by me - don't know the reason (P2P shaping or just me?).
* There were a few niggles on the web site, showing incorrect plan (BT dealing with it right now); but activation was at the date they said, the engineer moved the master socket where I wanted it, now no need for Powernet between downstairs & upstairs... They respond to my tickets, usually a support person calls you and gets all details by phone. Good lads.

... did have to perform couple router/modem pair moves to obtain the best WiFi quality... and that's it!
"It just works" © Steve Jobs
So far, so very good.

Cheers
M

Edited by EastExpert (Fri 10-Jun-11 03:45:08)

Standard User Harold
(learned) Fri 10-Jun-11 06:53:30
Print Post

[re: EastExpert] [link to this post]

I can only get Sky. im glad as the choice would kill me. Currently i get the full sync speed of 19mb so i wont move in a hurry from skies prices.

Old Git

Standard User G3UZF
(member) Fri 10-Jun-11 09:40:38
Print Post

I am using 'Infinity', but as a 'with fibre' option as speed is slightly less than the 15Mb/s needed for the full product. Went to it as I am a long way from the exchange and needed something quicker than 1.5Mb/s that ADSL2+ was giving.

As far as Skype is concerned, never had a problem running full duplex sound and video.

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
Standard User Robmonster
(regular) Fri 10-Jun-11 09:47:10
Print Post

[re: Harold] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. 've taken the plunge and was activated on Tuesday. so far everything is just fine.

One question, where would I go to open a support ticket? I do find the BT website somewhat impenetrable...

Also, how do I get my details for accessing the FON network?

Rob
Standard User undecidedadrian
(regular) Fri 10-Jun-11 10:29:42
Print Post

They email you all your account names and passwords on the day of your activation.
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 10-Jun-11 13:57:08
Print Post

[re: EastExpert] [link to this post]

All that for £28 a month: BT Infinity Option 2 (Unlimited) + BT Unlimited Anytime Calls (including 0800, 0845, 0870). First 3 months FREE, router is FREE too, just £5 P&P. I also took Rental Saver offer -- £120 up front for a year's worth of line rental (£12.60 pm otherwise i.e. £151.20 annually).

Ditto here except they appear to be crediting me with £8 a month since I started laugh, just had a look back on my bills and pleasantly surprised smile Tremendous value

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Standard User rich1068
(member) Mon 13-Jun-11 14:18:52
Print Post

[re: MrGrumpy] [link to this post]

I was going to ask a similar question regarding a move to BT Infinity. Rather than start another identical thread I might as well join in this discussion.

I'm thinking of making the move from Be even though they've been excellent. What's tempting is rolling all my services into one, getting a little more (ie TV) and not really increasing my costs.

Now I do the odd torrent and currently use a seedbox. With the increase in speed Infinity offers I could do away with that but I'm reading conflicting reports on BTs attitude to torrents. There's more than one mention in this thread that they do shape/manage but here's a cut and paste of a chat I've just had with one of their online bods...

We are now routing you to one of our chat team...

You are now connected with Zara

Zara: Welcome to BT, the most complete broadband provider. My name is Zara.

Zara: How may I assist you with your order today?

Richard: Hi Zara. Thinking about your Unlimited Infinity packages. Is it truly unlimited?

Zara: I'll be happy to assist you with that

Zara: The fair usage is 300gb per month Richard

Richard: OK. Thanks. Is there any management or shaping of the line during certain times?

Zara: No

Richard: What about P2P/torrents?

Zara: We have no restriction on torrents

Richard: Really? I read you had. Are you sure?

Zara: Yes I'm sure

Richard: OK. Thank you. Goodbye.

Zara: You're welcome.

Zara: Take care Richard

Zara: .

Zara: Thank you for chatting with me today, as BT Values your feedback, please click the "End Chat" button at top right to close the chat.

Any thoughts on this?

Rich.
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Jun-11 14:30:51
Print Post

[re: rich1068] [link to this post]

The 300GB FUP limit was removed in April, As far as I know they do limit P2P during peak time (don't use P2P myself). However they do not currently limit newsgroups.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Far too many computers, 1 Wife, 3 Maine Coons and too many horses smile
Standard User rich1068
(member) Mon 13-Jun-11 15:00:36
Print Post

[re: TheHorseman] [link to this post]

So are we assuming their sales don't know what they're talking about?

I could keep the seedbox and I would imagine my downloads would escape unscathed as it's a simple FTP transfer but that would mean I'd be spending more than I am now. That seems a little pointless.

Rich.
Standard User tonym
(member) Mon 13-Jun-11 20:35:04
Print Post

Yes the 300GB limit was removed, but, but, but they do throttle torrents, during peak times.
I only use torrents occasionally so not to worried. I mainly use Usenet, which is not throttled.

As you say you could carry on with the seedbox , but it would increase your costs

tonym
Standard User rich1068
(member) Mon 13-Jun-11 21:32:35
Print Post

[re: tonym] [link to this post]

I spoke to a 'real' UK based person this time and she assured me they didn't. And that the 300GB limit was still in place. She also told me that she used torrents too and never had any problems.

How odd.

Rich.
Standard User tonym
(member) Mon 13-Jun-11 21:45:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by rich1068:
I spoke to a 'real' UK based person this time and she assured me they didn't. And that the 300GB limit was still in place. She also told me that she used torrents too and never had any problems.

How odd.

Well she be a liar.

Pop over to the BT forums at:
http://community.bt.com/ ask anyone on the forums about the limit and throttling of torrents during peak hours. I believe the peak hours are 4pm to Midnight

tonym

Edited by tonym (Mon 13-Jun-11 22:48:42)

Standard User Squirrel
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 13-Jun-11 22:31:39
Print Post

[re: tonym] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tonym:
I believe the peak hours are 4pm to Midnight

Also 09:00 to midnight at weekends.

(experienced) Mon 13-Jun-11 22:48:34
Print Post

yep

zara had actualy no idea what you were talking about and no idea what she was saying.

The FUP of 300 gig has supposedly been removed but i can tell you now they definatley traffic manage the service and p2p and torrents are a no go between approx 3pm - midnight ish 7 days a week.

Standard User rich1068
(member) Mon 13-Jun-11 22:56:06
Print Post

[re: geordiekris] [link to this post]

Fair enough to all. This misinformation and the frankly misleading answers I received regarding FreeviewHD content via BT Vision leads me to believe BT are still the chronically inept bunch they always have been.

What was I thinking? Be, forgive me frown

Rich.
Standard User Neken
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Jun-11 07:59:04
Print Post

Do you know if the p2p throttling also affects p2p TV such as Sopcast or Veetle?

(member) Tue 14-Jun-11 08:14:19
Print Post

What info are you being given about Freeview HD Content?

Standard User rich1068
(member) Tue 14-Jun-11 08:41:06
Print Post

[re: nelix01] [link to this post]

I specifically asked if I'd be able to receive HD TV. BT sales said yes. I clarified my question by saying that I didn't mean BT's HD content but Freeview HD. She said yes. I asked 'So the Vision+ box is a FreeviewHD receiver? I'll be able to get eg BBC HD when it's available in my area?'. Again the answer was yes. I also had another online chat with someone from BT last night and they were equally confused/badly trained.

Rich.
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Jun-11 09:48:32
Print Post

It might well be something thats going to happen in future? I`m sure I read a thread over on digitalspy about BT dropping SKY fromt their BT vision package with the view to offering some sort of new IPTV deal using FTTC/FTTP. Of course I`m maybe confused and this does not help in your predicament. If I`m honest Freeview HD is only offering 3 poss 4 channels in HD?? Not exactly great and not like SKy`s offering nor cables but you maybe like me in that I can`t get neither of those smile

Regards

MrG

Standard User nelix01
(member) Tue 14-Jun-11 10:07:07
Print Post

I have BT Vision and there is no Freeview HD. The only HD content is available via VOD. I believe that as part of the Youview project, freeview HD will be part of the offering.

Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Jun-11 10:58:55
Print Post

[re: nelix01] [link to this post]

that could well be the confusion.

Regards

MrG

Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Tue 14-Jun-11 15:39:02
Print Post

Sigh. totally wrong information to basic questions

And yes I'm a happy BT Infinity customer.

I'd post the feedback on the BT customer forums - I'm sure they'd appreciate learning from your experience (really)
(experienced) Tue 14-Jun-11 20:41:28
Print Post

[re: Neken] [link to this post]

hasnt effected me for either of those 2

(experienced) Tue 14-Jun-11 20:43:59
Print Post

Ring 0800 800 880 select the i want to leave option then ask them to listen to the recording of the call (if its available as ther not all recorded) if they listen to the call they will find you have been missold the bt vision product and should offer to allow you to cancel the BT Vision side of the offering for you.

Standard User rich1068
(member) Tue 14-Jun-11 21:29:00
Print Post

I've never had a particularly high opinion of BT and this little saga has done nothing to change that.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll be back next time I'm considering a move smile

Rich.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to