User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User burakkucat
(member) Thu 21-Jul-11 18:25:57
Print Post

Re: Help please - Horrible issues on the line.

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
"With luck, your ISP will absorb any OR charge . . . "

It is very unlikely that an ISP will accept a charge of £150 to £200 for this sort of thing.

Though the charge for fitting an NTE5 - i.e. regularisation should be around the £25+VAT mark, but that does not include sorting out any extension wiring.

Even if just the £25 charge were raised, rare for an ISP to absorb it.
You are right, of course. If the OP just wanted to have the regularisation (the fitting of an NTE5/A), I suspect he will happily pay the fee required for that task.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.

Edited by burakkucat (Thu 21-Jul-11 18:28:43)

Standard User burakkucat
(member) Thu 21-Jul-11 18:33:02
Print Post

Re: Stop!

[re: Meloco65] [link to this post]

Unfortunately I think we are 7 years out of date as I moved from Surrey 7 years ago, and now live in Norfolk and the commute I expect would be too far even for some wiring! But thank-you.
I live in the immediate county to your south -- Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk -- but due to health issues I am not very mobile. How far away from me, into Norfolk, are you?

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User Meloco65
(regular) Thu 28-Jul-11 11:46:17
Print Post

re

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

Thanks for the all the help in here really appreciated!

I've fixed all the sockets myself and still no change, I've come in to the know that BT has basically split the exchange up to cater for other surrounding areas. This in turn means slow speeds and constant connection drops! Pretty poor tbh but I guess I just have to live with it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User shtu
(experienced) Thu 28-Jul-11 14:17:44
Print Post

Re: re

In reply to a post by Meloco65:
I've fixed all the sockets myself and still no change,

Define "fixed", please.

Did you get an NTE5 installed?
Standard User Meloco65
(regular) Thu 28-Jul-11 18:37:47
Print Post

[re: shtu] [link to this post]

No NTE5 socket installed, but I re-wired everything as prescribed above. Noise levels are down ever so slightly (around 10 at night - 12 during the day). Just had another call from BT who have said there is an ip-profile and line stats mis-match so they are investigating their end. Apparently this will take two working days, so I will know on Saturday if it is fixed.
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Fri 29-Jul-11 09:51:39
Print Post

Personally, I'd stump up the £25 and get a new Master fitted.

This then gives you much more flexibility in testing the line, siting the router, running ADSL-only extensions if you want, etc.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 29-Jul-11 09:53:32
Print Post

What is this splitting the exchange thing?

Even if this were done it would not result in your ADSL line flapping around.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Meloco65
(regular) Fri 29-Jul-11 21:17:42
Print Post

Basically the exchange I'm at is a satellite of a satellite, and to create further demand for broadband they split the lines off from my area, up to another area and use some kind of switch box to connect all the lines together. Effectively halfing our services.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 29-Jul-11 23:03:40
Print Post

Still doesn't make sense.

LIne attenuation divided by 12 gives rough length of line in km, are you suggesting that someone BT doubled the length of your line?

Or that the line stats stayed the same, but the speed halved?

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Meloco65
(regular) Sat 30-Jul-11 10:08:34
Print Post

No no, basically... My exchange is a satellite exchange off of another town. That town is a satellite exchange off of the main exchange in the city.

Now, to accomodate exchanges further out what they have done is split the lines from the town to my exchange, and then added a split-box or something and then re-added new lines, BUT this has taken away the capacity and speed from my exchange. Because it's not been properly done, does this make sense? Sorry I can't really remember all the technical terms and how it was explained, just the basic outline.

Edited by Meloco65 (Sat 30-Jul-11 10:13:44)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | [10] | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to