User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Tue 19-Jul-11 13:07:59
Print Post

Re: Help please - Horrible issues on the line.

[re: Meloco65] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Meloco65:
I think I need this latency type changed to fast and not interleaved?

No, you don't.
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Tue 19-Jul-11 13:12:28
Print Post

Usually I get a speed drop to 115kb/s during the week, but mostly it stays at what it should be around 220kb/s.

Connection time 0 days, 3:20:45

That suggests to me your line is frequently disconnecting, and jumping between profiles quite often - 115kbs is about a 1250k profile, to get 220kbps I'd expect to see a 2000kbps profile at least.

You would never get 220kbs on the 1600-ish sync speed shown in your first post.

It's all pointing to some intermittent fault that is causing disconnects and the raising of the noise margin.
Standard User Meloco65
(learned) Tue 19-Jul-11 13:54:19
Print Post

[re: shtu] [link to this post]

Yes usually my line syncs at 2mbps / 2.5mbps. But since switching to BT from UKonline I see regular speed drops (but still sync at 2mbps). Those stats I've posted have been from when the real problems began on Friday night. I'm now synced at 288 Kbps ! Less than my upload !

Would openreach charge to install a main socket? Also, If what you are saying and there is an intermittent fault is that going to be something I should ask the BT customer services to check up on?

I mean at the moment it is just rediculously slow about 2.3kb/s i'm seeing on my traffic meter for just browsing websites.

Edited by Meloco65 (Tue 19-Jul-11 17:43:06)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User shtu
(experienced) Wed 20-Jul-11 09:37:25
Print Post

Yes usually my line syncs at 2mbps / 2.5mbps.

Thought so.

But since switching to BT from UKonline I see regular speed drops (but still sync at 2mbps).

Speed can and does vary at busy times, as long as the sync stays the same throughout there's not a problem for you to deal with.

Those stats I've posted have been from when the real problems began on Friday night. I'm now synced at 288 Kbps ! Less than my upload !

If you are certain that you can't hear any problem with the line, and have tested repeatedly, I think it's time to raise a fault with the ISP. Try posting in the UKOnline forum here and see if an ISP rep picks it up.

(I've tended to find serious audible problems affect the upstream, probably as the frequencies used for upstream are closest to the ones used for audio)

Would openreach charge to install a main socket?

IIRC yes, about £30. Others may know that more certainly than I do.

Personally, I'd almost always try for a setup where there is an NTE master, an Openreach filtered faceplate, with the router plugged in there, and the rest of the extension wiring connected to the faceplate. But then, I'm so far from the exchange that arrangement makes a major difference. If nothing else makes it easier to remove the internal wiring from suspicion if there is a fault.

Also, If what you are saying and there is an intermittent fault is that going to be something I should ask the BT customer services to check up on?

No, because you're telling me you can't hear any noise, so it's not BT's problem. Assuming BT are still the phone provider, they will only care that the phone works for audio. (and fax, and 28.8 modem)

I mean at the moment it is just rediculously slow about 2.3kb/s i'm seeing on my traffic meter for just browsing websites.

Again, if you're certain there's no audio problem, ISP time.

(Note, if you are competent with a screwdriver, it is possible to disconnect the extension wiring yourself and retest, but only do this if you are confident you can put it all back together properly. If you're feeling confident, post back.)
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Wed 20-Jul-11 11:07:49
Print Post

who is your isp? - you say UK Online, but sky assimilated them...

also can you try a different router
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 20-Jul-11 12:23:51
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

Both you and shtu seem to have misread
Yes usually my line syncs at 2mbps / 2.5mbps. But since switching to BT from UKonline I see regular speed drops (but still sync at 2mbps). Those stats I've posted have been from when the real problems began on Friday night. I'm now synced at 288 Kbps ! Less than my upload !

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Wed 20-Jul-11 12:33:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

ok, to bt wink

still worth trying another router
Standard User Meloco65
(learned) Wed 20-Jul-11 13:03:34
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

I have an old netgear lying around - But no idea on my username or password as it seems to be all automatic from the BT Hub?

Also - Just changed all the filters and asked them to change the line to 'Fast'. Rediculous ping is fine, and can play online gaming for a little while. But any speed tests and it comes back 0.11 and websites are still very very slow. The noise on the line must be the key to this, but short of calling a BT engineer over i've looked all over for the master socket again and can't find one. I doubt i'm savvy enough to pull the wires out either !
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Jul-11 13:08:11
Print Post

Noise as in audible noise?

If that is present 10 minutes or so after disconnecting all ADSL kit and filters, then report a noise voice line.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Meloco65
(learned) Wed 20-Jul-11 13:14:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

no sorry I didn't mean noise on the line. I've done the BT test several times on different sockets and no Audible noise is present. BUT from these stats:

ADSL line status
Connection information
Line state Connected
Connection time 0 days, 0:16:24
Downstream 1,824 Kbps
Upstream 448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.1
Latency type Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up) 14.9 dB / 16.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 59.0 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 17.1 dBm / 11.9 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local) 11
Loss of Signal (Local) 1
Loss of Power (Local) 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 196 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up) nil / 14
Error Seconds (Local) 12

One member said the noise on my line is way way too high.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to