User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Wed 20-Jul-11 13:22:20
Print Post

Re: Help please - Horrible issues on the line.

[re: Meloco65] [link to this post]

if you connect the netgear router, it should sync, and give line stats. (without any username/password)

but the usual login details are:
username [email protected] ie [email protected]
password <blank>, or bt
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Jul-11 13:53:01
Print Post

1.8Meg with a target noise of 15dB, the standard and probably what you had with UK Online was 6dB, which at a guess would be a 2.5 to 3Meg connection speed.

The line may have wandered around speed wise with UK Online, but since there was no IP Profile system it was less noticeable, plus the BT DLM tries to achive stability by slowing down a line. The UK Online was the one ISP using SRA that in some cases allowed a modem to adjust speed in a much smoother manner - hard to make it work on a variety of hardware.

The worry is the CRC errors which look high (196, the 2147480000 figure is a known bug) for such a short time, probably a consequence of noise on the line, and to be honest unless you can resolve the wiring in the property to the point of finding out which is the first socket in the line, and disconnecting the others for testing you risk a large call out fee from BT to look into anything.

What I am saying is that it is entirely feasible this issue was masked by the way UK Online worked, i.e. your wiring may have been poor all along.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Meloco65
(learned) Wed 20-Jul-11 14:23:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank-you so much for this reply !!

I will go and check with all the different sockets and see If there is any difference in the line. I am still confused as to why the sync speed is sometimes ok, but the speed is stuck on a constant 0.10 (speedtest.net)? Also, directly after BT first reset the line, the speed and synch was perfect. However, the morning after when there was a change from fast to interleaved made such a difference in the line.

I hear what you are saying about the wiring and I think it will be a case of checking all the sockets with the router again and trying my netgear router. I'll report back after, and hopefully find a fault. All the wiring in the house is fairly new though (about 3 - 5 years), so i'm hoping it's not that....

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Jul-11 14:55:43
Print Post

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/radsl.htm... The issue you are seeing with speeds staying low when modem says you should get faster is down to the IP Profile.

Fairly new place - umm if put in by the builder they are notorious for doing things such that phones work, but is NOT good for ADSL.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(member) Wed 20-Jul-11 15:20:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by Meloco65:
Thank-you so much for this reply !!

I will go and check with all the different sockets and see If there is any difference in the line. I am still confused as to why the sync speed is sometimes ok, but the speed is stuck on a constant 0.10 (speedtest.net)? Also, directly after BT first reset the line, the speed and synch was perfect. However, the morning after when there was a change from fast to interleaved made such a difference in the line.

I hear what you are saying about the wiring and I think it will be a case of checking all the sockets with the router again and trying my netgear router. I'll report back after, and hopefully find a fault. All the wiring in the house is fairly new though (about 3 - 5 years), so i'm hoping it's not that....

You're saying that there's no BT master socket. If you don't have this it's almost definitely the internal wiring at your end.

A correct setup is phone line going into the back of the BT master. Then from the master all of the internal lines are connected

An incorrect setup and popular with builders.

Phone line enters into the loft or wherever. Then they use some cheap connectors to split that cable into various lines. Then stick sockets on the end.

This means the signal is massively degraded when you connect a router.

THIS IS HOW I THINK YOUR SETUP IS

http://b.imagehost.org/0028/wrong.jpg

THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD BE

http://b.imagehost.org/0293/right.jpg

This causes havoc on ADSL.

You may even find they have connected a master socket at every single socket. Again causing havoc.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Wed 20-Jul-11 15:23:40)

Standard User Meloco65
(learned) Wed 20-Jul-11 16:03:56
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Ah ukhardy07 you are exactly right. As I have a connection directly from the phone line outside straight into the wall. Argh, so how to fix this? Only an engineer of BT?
Standard User burakkucat
(member) Wed 20-Jul-11 16:26:31
Print Post

As I have a connection directly from the phone line outside straight into the wall. Argh, so how to fix this?
Could you take a clear photograph of every socket, the wires & terminals and also where your incoming line reaches your house? If so, post them somewhere that we can access . . . we may then be able to give you details how to resolve your suspect wiring.

Also, where are you located in the U.K? Someone capable of helping may be local to you. smile

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User Meloco65
(learned) Wed 20-Jul-11 19:37:42
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

Right ... For my excellent photo skills:

[IMG]http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae99/Meloco65/IMG...[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae99/Meloco65/IMG...[/IMG] (NO IDEA WHAT THIS IS, IS situated just before another face plate connection)

The line is straight in from the telephone poll outside into the house. The others (I have no idea as I couldn't find the entry point). Although there is a wire draped over the house which needs to be rectified and I think it's for one of the telephone line sockets.

edit: Also, tried with netgear router same line sync speeds and noise margin readings. (Couldn't get the dns to work so didn't try websites).

Edited by Meloco65 (Wed 20-Jul-11 19:54:16)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 20-Jul-11 20:36:37
Print Post

The last pic, with your finger and thumb, is the master. That yellow cylinder (a capacitor) identifies it.

It looks like blue/white into T2 and orange/white into T5? Does that green wire go into T3?

If it does, gently detach the green wire, (don't cut it), and curl it out of harm's way but not through the hole at the back.

I can't say I like a mixture of blu/w and orange/w but I could be worrying over nothing. Are there plain blue or white/blue, and similarly plain orange or white/orange visible in there or one of the others?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 20-Jul-11 20:37:35)

Standard User burakkucat
(member) Wed 20-Jul-11 20:42:13
Print Post

Hmm. Definitely sub-standard wiring. frown

I'll refer to the photographs in the order that you have shown them.

Photos no. 1 & 3. I assume that they are of the same socket? That is an extension socket. Please go back and, referring to no.3, confirm that there are eight individual wires (four coloured pairs, green, blue, orange & brown) & also that the cable outer sheath is black. Is the blue/white stripe connected to IDC2 & the whilte/blue stripe connected to IDC5 ?

Photo no. 2. That is a "700 series" junction box, dating from the period 1959 to 1981. Please unscrew the cover and photograph its interior. Number of wires, colour of wires and what is connected to what is relevant.

Photo no. 4. That is a "master" socket but not an OpenReach (or BT) standard. There is something distinctly wrong in that backing box -- those screw terminal connectors are not OR (BT) standard fitments. Please identify the colour of the cable's outer sheath, the number & colour of individual wires and what is connected to where.

Is there any correlation between where the external cable comes through the wall of the house and to any of those two sockets, one junction box that you have shown us?

Are there any other sockets? Hidden away, perhaps?

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to