User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User thomaswarne01
(newbie) Wed 20-Jul-11 21:59:13
Print Post

Re: Help please - Horrible issues on the line.

[re: Meloco65] [link to this post]

Try plugging the router into the very 1st socket (closest do wire coming into house) and post your stats please.
Standard User Meloco65
(regular) Wed 20-Jul-11 22:10:39
Print Post

[re: thomaswarne01] [link to this post]

plugged in at master socket:

ADSL line status
Connection information
Line state Connected
Connection time 0 days, 0:02:18
Downstream 544 Kbps
Upstream 448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.1
Latency type Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up) 15.3 dB / 17.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 58.0 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 14.9 dBm / 11.9 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local) 0
Loss of Signal (Local) 0
Loss of Power (Local) 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 0 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up) nil / 0
Error Seconds (Local) 0
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 20-Jul-11 22:12:49
Print Post

Filter evasion follows!
*^n

That's impossible. But has happened!

I suggest you re-attach the green wire though! Then re-sync. While we think.

If you haven't got an IDC/Krone tool that does it, (£2 or so at Maplin/B & Q and similar for one that will do - posh ones are expensive), then place the wire across the IDC connector without stripping any insulation off,( the whole point of an IDC connector is it cuts through the insulation as you push the wire in), and gently push in with the edge of a credit card.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 20-Jul-11 22:17:08)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User burakkucat
(member) Wed 20-Jul-11 22:13:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I'm sure he will agree any wire on T3 should be disconnected. The important connections are T2 and T5.
Absolutely. laugh

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 20-Jul-11 22:13:49
Print Post

Don't re-sync more that 2 or 3 times in an hour. The system doesn't like it.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User Meloco65
(regular) Wed 20-Jul-11 22:15:44
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

So should I still be re-attaching the green wire? If so do I need this tool to do so, or simply clip back in? Also.... Could it be that I didn't wrap the green wire up well enough and it is still causing inteference??
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 20-Jul-11 22:15:54
Print Post

Stop!

If you usually use the extension socket, try there!

Standard User Meloco65
(regular) Wed 20-Jul-11 22:25:48
Print Post

Re: Stop!

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

do any of the new pictures / Wiring info help at all?

extension socket still the same:

Connection information
Line state Connected
Connection time 0 days, 0:01:32
Downstream 544 Kbps
Upstream 448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.1
Latency type Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up) 15.2 dB / 17.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 58.0 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 14.4 dBm / 11.9 dBm
Standard User burakkucat
(member) Wed 20-Jul-11 23:09:58
Print Post

Looking at the first two new photos of the master socket (00076 & 00075), I think I see that the cable entering the dry-liner backing box has a cream (or white) sheath with just four solid colour wires -- the old style blue, brown, green and orange. Blue = B-wire, Orange = A-wire, Green = "bell"-wire. Those two screw-block connectors have been used to connect the newer blue/white and orange/white tails from the B-wire to IDC2 and from the A-wire to IDC5. (Everything is electrically correct but it has not been installed by OR. wink ). The solid green ("bell") wire to IDC3 is unnecessary.

Looking at the first two photos in the bedroom (00079 & 00073), the 700-series connector block (used between 1959 to 1981) is just used to connect two four core cables (blue, brown, green and orange). (It could be where a type 706 or 746 telephone had been connected, prior to BT's creation and is now used to provide the feed to the bedroom socket.) The third and fourth photos in the bedroom (00084 & 00086) are of an extension socket. The solid green ("bell") wires to IDC3 are unnecessary. Clearly, another extension is "daisy-chained" from the bedroom socket. The fifth photo from the bedroom (00087) is, I assume, the backing box showing two cables with unused brown wires.

The "Bedroom Extension socket (cable coming directly from outside into wall)" (00077) is in another bedroom? and is what we have seen previously (00066 & 00068)?

Extension socket (newest addition):

Blue/w - 2

White / B - 5

Black thick wire has inside:

Green
Green/w
Blue/w
White/B
Orange/w
White/O
Brown
You have named seven wires in that cable -- which is not correct. It must be eight. No problems, that is obviously an external grade cable.

All in all, still a bit of a mystery. There is some form of star wiring, with modifications made over the years.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 20-Jul-11 23:11:27
Print Post

Re: Stop!

The pics help a bit, yes.

That junction box looks to me as though the cable coming from the right and into the top is the incoming. The one out of the bottom goes to the master and I don't like the look of that cable.

Goodness knows where the green goes to out of the top of the junction box. Extremely odd.

The one box that clearly has correct wiring colours is the extension that has the b/w with the w/b, but so far as I can tell we haven't seen the other end of that connection.

The obvious thing we have changed is removing the green wire, but I feel it would be a bit premature to reconnect it, as it really is impossible for removing it to have caused the drop to around 500kbps.

What is also strange is the behaviour of the noise margin. That one for instance where it is 3.something instead of 15.something.

A re-sync once it is daylight, using the extension socket and with the master green still off, is what I would try if it was my line. Everything except the router disconnected from the line.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to