User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 21-Jul-11 00:52:14
Print Post

Re: Help please - Horrible issues on the line.

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by burakkucat:
In reply to a post by BatBoy:
... nested quotes trimmed ...
Please do not start your interference. It is unwelcome and unnecessary.
Try counting the pictures
Why don't you: (a) Try using the photo numbers, that way there can be no mistake (b) Stop meddling and attempting to aggravate me. It won't work. wink
You can count, can't you?

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User RandomJointer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Jul-11 00:54:16
Print Post

Sorry mate. This is Janet and John telecoms. I've spelled it out. Punters who can't follow it need to consult a professional or competent DIYer.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 21-Jul-11 08:04:36
Print Post

Re: Stop!

My mention of an earthing spike, etc, was purely for RobertoS' benefit / enjoyment.
It did occur to me the green wire could be to earth, but I couldn't understand it (legitimately) going to T3, and the junction box clearly has a bare wire going underneath perhaps to the screw. Though maybe that's a screen?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 21-Jul-11 08:31:26
Print Post

[re: RandomJointer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RandomJointer:
You have split pairs on the cable with the banded colours. you have correct pairs on the cable with the solid colours.

You need to rig the sockets as I have prescribed but the intermediate junction boxes are also split and need to be connected as I have prescribed as correcting the sockets wont work because the junction boxes have the correct wires disconnected.

If you can't do it yourself you need a telephone engineer.

Banded cable = solid cable = socket
Blue/white = Blue = Terminal 2
White/Blue = Orange = Terminal 5
Orange/White = Green = Terminal 3.

This should be wired at the sockets and the intermediate junction boxes.
I think I understand this, but the "=" signs are very confusing. I'm sure the OP won't have a clue. Is the first line of that bit meant to be headings as well?

However, am I wrong in thinking the wires into the top of the junction box are incoming from outside, or at least the same type of cable? It's from there on that things go crazy. There also has to be at least one other connector or socket in order for the bedroom one to have correct T2/T5.

Do you have a reason, other than BT standards, for saying T3 should be connected (at this point in time), when we all know that the only people possibly needing that would be the next occupants; the chances of them needing it are miniscule; and it is guaranteed to introduce interference?

As ggremlin and myself have also said, this wiring has apparently been in place for some time. It doesn't explain why the connection suddenly deteriorated. I'm wondering whether we might have a simple new external influence. I agree about the split pairs, which is why I ducked out of that level of detail earlier, and yes that also needs fixing.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 21-Jul-11 08:32:34)

Standard User Meloco65
(regular) Thu 21-Jul-11 08:44:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In terms of the wiring I should think it hasn't changed since the 60's. I've just been told the telephone wires are the only thing that havn't been changed in the house, and God knows who did the wiring ! The only wiring that our electrician did was the newest extension box (which appears to be correct?).

I would re-wire it all myself but in fear of taking off the insulation etc. Do I need the tool specified earlier in order to complete this myself? I'm half thinking about pleading to BT OR and just saying install a new box and new wiring and get rid of the old, as I think I can see a part of the telephone line stretched outside across a wall ! But still really perplexed as to how, suddenly, this is affecting my internet so badly. There is no external source or any new electrical equipment etc.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 21-Jul-11 08:47:57
Print Post

[re: Meloco65] [link to this post]

Is it possible to ask him where that new pair to the new extension is connected to, as you haven't found it? It may be important.

Yes, none of this explains the sudden deterioration. Unless perhaps a joint has gone wonky.

Standard User Meloco65
(regular) Thu 21-Jul-11 08:49:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

As far as I can see it goes straight out of the wall in to the telephone line / connecting to the telegraph pole directly outside.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 21-Jul-11 10:05:55
Print Post

"With luck, your ISP will absorb any OR charge . . . "

It is very unlikely that an ISP will accept a charge of £150 to £200 for this sort of thing.

Though the charge for fitting an NTE5 - i.e. regularisation should be around the £25+VAT mark, but that does not include sorting out any extension wiring.

Even if just the £25 charge were raised, rare for an ISP to absorb it.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 21-Jul-11 10:13:00
Print Post

[re: Meloco65] [link to this post]

Is there in no way this would be a fault on BT's end?

It is feasiable that the problem is on the BT side, but from what we've seen of your wiring, which is the first thing they check when they arrive, I'd predict a big bill for fixing it, and then if that does not help, they will then look at their network.

Where abouts in the UK are you? If close a simple visit with my bits and pieces to tidy up internal wiring might help.

When they reset a line, the target noise margin would have dropped to 6dB giving you a lot more speed, but instability brought on either by your internal wiring picking up noise, or an external issue, has seen that margin creep back up to 15dB, thus lowering your speed again.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Meloco65
(regular) Thu 21-Jul-11 10:22:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Unfortunately I think we are 7 years out of date as I moved from Surrey 7 years ago, and now live in Norfolk and the commute I expect would be too far even for some wiring! But thank-you.

I've rung BT CS and they have forwarded my details on to an engineer, i'm expecting a call by the end of today and guessing I will have to incur high fees to rectify this frown. I personally think there is a problem with BT, as I'm sure my noise margins have always been that high and the speed / latency has always been acceptable (2mbps). How to prove that to BT I am not quite sure as of yet!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to