User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rendez2k
(regular) Mon 01-Aug-11 19:36:41
Print Post

Re: Infinity opionins a few months on?

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

I'm estimated at 33.9Mb download and 7.0Mb upload. Are those estimates normally accurate?

Be Un Limited 24
Standard User Garyilka
(knowledge is power) Mon 01-Aug-11 20:26:12
Print Post

[re: rendez2k] [link to this post]

They always underestimate in my experience.

This is me now (and on wireless..... it's a little better when on my wired conection).

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1412578079.png

I lost internet for 3 minutes a couple of weeks ago, it hasn't dropped other than that since I started some two months ago......
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Aug-11 20:40:35
Print Post

I was estimated 36mb and 6.8mb

I get the full Sync

BT Infinity
~200m from NILDW PCP21
40000/10000 Sync

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rendez2k
(regular) Mon 01-Aug-11 20:57:37
Print Post

[re: Garyilka] [link to this post]

Is there anyway to see what the closest cabinet is?

Be Un Limited 24
Standard User Garyilka
(knowledge is power) Mon 01-Aug-11 21:00:05
Print Post

Not that I know of. I asked the engineer when he installed infinity as it could have been any one of three for all I knew smile
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 01-Aug-11 21:06:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by rendez2k:
So, I've done it. Install date is next Tuesday. Signing up was a minor annoyance as the site crashed. Had to call them twice to get the order sorted. Not a good start!

Anyway, they sent me a BT-yahoo email account. I assume this won't work until I get the broadband going?

Try logging onto the account at: http://uk.mail.yahoo.com If you have the address it should already work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Aug-11 22:10:41
Print Post

(You won't necessarily be connected to the closest one.)

You can go for a walk/drive round your neighborhood and find the cabinets and then use Gmap-pedometer to guess the line distance.

---
Click here to see Comparison of FTTC ISPs
Which FTTC ISP do you use?

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up
Standard User dspillett
(committed) Tue 02-Aug-11 00:31:09
Print Post

[re: NuttyMucker] [link to this post]

It is the ISP arm of BT that has been given this court order, not openreach. BT's ISP arm has the same relationship with or (officially at any rate) as other ISP's, so an order to them does not BT/or and the other ISPs who resell chunks of the infrastructure.

That is not to say other ISPs are not next in line for a similar court order, of course, but none have been given one yet.

If this might be a significant issue for you, look for an ISP that has taken a consistent stance against such censorship in the past (AAISP are the only ones that spring to mind, they are one of the few that don't take part in the IWF scheme, but there will no doubt be others if you look around).

There are alternatives of course: rent a VPS somewhere for a few $/month and use a VPN to route traffic through there. There is little your ISP can do to filter that (though if you ISP throttles P2P your VPN may be hit to as they can't easily tell the difference between encrypted P2P traffic and encrypted VPN traffic).

--------------------------------------------------------
Current ISP: Andrews & Arnold (AAISP, aa.net.uk) via FTTC at ~36Mbit down & ~10Mbit up, joined July 2011.
Previous setup: Be Pro with UploadPlus (ADSL2+, AnnexM), 12ish Mbit down, 1.6 up, happy customer for ~2.5 years.
Standard User lelboy
(regular) Tue 02-Aug-11 10:09:51
Print Post

Hi, Well, I've been with Infinity for three months now, and only had two "slow/disconnected" periods of 10/12 hours at a time - when BT were doing remedial work (all fine by 6am next day). They advised me 29/6 and I typically get 34/8 - my max was 38.98 down & 8.4 up. Very happy with the service, but BT "customer care" leaves a bit to be desired at times!
Standard User David2011
(newbie) Tue 02-Aug-11 10:11:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by rendez2k:
I'm estimated at 33.9Mb download and 7.0Mb upload. Are those estimates normally accurate?

You're lucky. My estimate is only 29 / 6. I'm hoping that it turns out to be faster rather than slower once it's installed.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to