User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Janthril
(newbie) Fri 12-Aug-11 11:52:10
Print Post

Re: Broadband disconnections for a year...where do I go now?

[re: Janthril] [link to this post]

Speedtest results are

Download speedachieved during the test was - 5006 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7552 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6500 Kbps

The profile has been lowered recently by BT and they tell me the engineers will sort ittongue

I do have the BT box outside as in your picture.

I cant upload a phote right now but the box has no lines in it and just a socket.

My phone is plugged into a different socket and has a filter on.

In the living room I have just the router plugged into a filter and then the socket.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Aug-11 11:56:45
Print Post

I cant upload a phote right now but the box has no lines in it and just a socket.

My phone is plugged into a different socket and has a filter on.

In the living room I have just the router plugged into a filter and then the socket.

The first line is confusing me, what do you mean by no lines? as in no visible wires for you to disconnect?

Regular disconnects are most often caused by the internal wiring, and as you have several bits of internal wiring the probability of these being wired in a less than ideal way is possible, e.g. split pairs, ring wire on all the sockets, maybe even builder using wrong cable or wrong sockets.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Janthril
(newbie) Fri 12-Aug-11 14:07:27
Print Post

Sorry I meant the faceplate was plain with just one socket outlet. I have a 2 year old helping so I get a bit distracted frown

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Aug-11 14:22:55
Print Post

The front may be plain, but its worth a look to see what the wiring is like behind, a picture makes it easier as avoids you using different phrases to describe things.

Flickr and twitpic etc are all reasonable photo sites to upload too.

As you have an external openreach socket, all the wiring is yours to deal with, so you can look behind sockets, sort out wiring etc.

95% you have the ring wire connected, which creates an imbalance, leading to noise pickup particularly after sunset
30% chance if the wiring was done by builders that the wiring is plain wrong, e.g. not using the two wires from the same twisted pair

http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters-extensions.htm and the ADSL-FFP85D may provide a neat way of tidying things up, and keeping it flush with wall, and avoids need for dangly microfilters.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(member) Fri 12-Aug-11 14:23:41
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
The line attenuation is 20db and hence would easily achieve an 8128 sync
If there was interleaving the stats would be a different sync again
If? There is interleaving and the max sync is therefore only 7616.

Yes with interleaving the sync would not be at 7.375mbps as the user is getting on such a short line. His attentuation should easily achieve the full sync. It would be 7.6mbps... I'm posting on an iPhone so I didn't spot that it was enabled

All in all the line SHOULD reach either 8128 (interleaving off) or 7616 Kbps (on) easily. On other providers it should easily reach 20meg... The fact that it's only syncing at 7.3mbps out of a possible 7.6 meg shows an issue as a 7.6meg sync should be easily achievable

So something's preventing the speed... Granted with profiling this difference won't affect performance on BT (assuming it never syncs significantly lower) but it could be causing the disconnections. If the issue causes the sync to drop really low randomly it could affect performance though through profiling
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 12-Aug-11 14:35:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
... would recommend fitting your own NTE5 with ADSL hat is as close as possible to the external master socket.
The rest of this post and your later ones look good Andrew, but surely fitting an NTE5 given the external NTE would be wrong?

And won't there be a ring wire coming from there anyway?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Aug-11 14:41:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

As a handy internal location for feeding extensions from nothing much wrong with it.

Not being to a property with the external socket, so not 100% up and how easy to disconnect ring wire etc, pictures of them are usually not clear.

Will probably find the socket closest to external master is already a master style socket, and replacing with NTE5 front parts may be feasible, or the Solwise faceplate I've suggested.

Standard User ukhardy07
(member) Fri 19-Aug-11 13:00:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
As a handy internal location for feeding extensions from nothing much wrong with it.

Not being to a property with the external socket, so not 100% up and how easy to disconnect ring wire etc, pictures of them are usually not clear.

Will probably find the socket closest to external master is already a master style socket, and replacing with NTE5 front parts may be feasible, or the Solwise faceplate I've suggested.

The external box acts as the master socket.

There is a test socket type feature but only BT can access this on the external master

Having an NTE5 inside would be the same as having 2 masters inside an older property

All sockets inside should be slave sockets.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-Aug-11 13:31:07
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Well builders for years have been fitting master sockets at every extension...so no one has learnt.

So link to a suitable socket for people to use is welcome

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to