User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ionic
(experienced) Tue 30-Aug-11 23:45:39
Print Post

Re: Computer says no

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

You could also try Andrews and Arnold. Whilst they can also be a bit pricey for peak time (though you get what you pay for IMO), if you schedule your large downloads off-peak it may work out acceptable.
Standard User pgregg
(newbie) Sat 24-Sep-11 23:09:57
Print Post

[re: pgregg] [link to this post]

Interesting update for you all.

I ended up going another few rounds with BT - someone put me through to a BT broadband tech support person who very helpfully look at things, my neighbour's line, and said there should be no reason I couldn't get a FTTC service. My hopes raised, I went back and tried to order again.

Finally, exasperated talking to the last useless BT parrot claiming I couldn't have it because the system wouldn't let me order it (she didn't even seem to know the difference between old style ADSL, ADSL2 (which I could order in 2012), and the two FTTC services (Infinity and Faster Total Broadband), I asked her to be put through to her manager... where she dropped the call.

So I filed a written complaint.

2 days later someone phoned me to say he was looking into my complaint, but I've heard nothing since.

BUT 2 days after that, magically BT's website allowed me to place an order online for Faster Total Broadband saying I could get 3Mbit. Installation was Wednesday.

Engineer said his tester wouldn't sync, but he plugged the vdsl modem in anyway and it did sync. Ran a few download tests, looked good. Declared victory and I've had 15Mbit down 1Mbit up since then smile

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1497738382.png

BT Broadband: 512kbps
Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Sat 24-Sep-11 23:27:22
Print Post

Fantastic!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 25-Sep-11 02:15:50
Print Post

Sounds like someone did a bit of poking in the database or it just corrected itself.

Either way, nice that the estimate was, as usual, a bit conservative

Hopefully you'll get your reward for patience. If you're anything like the people in this household...you'll start downloading stuff in the gigabytes without thinking twice. A nice benefit of the lack of solid usage limits which other ISPs will hamstring you with. I've noticed the BT usage tracker also has a tendency to be conservative which is awfully nice of them. I like consistency...

We're still under 50GB usage for the month. This is in a household with 4 PC's, laptop, ipad, smartphones and people with a penchant for newsgroups, iplayer, online gaming and keeping everything updated.

Yes it's been a rather epic 14 months on Infinity so far here. Hopefully you get similar joyous outcomes.

* "bit" open to wide interpretation!

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
23.5mbit down / 8mbit up

Edited by orly (Sun 25-Sep-11 02:24:23)

Standard User pgregg
(newbie) Sun 25-Sep-11 03:27:46
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

Thanks guys. Am certainly enjoying the faster speeds. I expect to use around the 50Gb mark myself.... 6 computers, 2 servers (dlna,smtp,imap,etc), touchpad, phones spread among various spawn. Will be nice not to have complaints about YouTube buffering.

Though I did once hit 80Gb one month on my 512kbps that promoted BT to send me a letter threatening to "reduce" my speed to 1mbit.

Have to confess, orly, you had me questioning my sanity with your pre-edit post. smile

BT Broadband: 512kbps

Edited by pgregg (Sun 25-Sep-11 09:37:57)

Standard User G3UZF
(committed) Sun 25-Sep-11 10:00:39
Print Post

I am 600Metres from the FTTC and the Infinity estimator said I couldn't get it as speed was 14.6Mbps.

However, ordered 'Option 3 with fibre' from BT (same price as Infinity) and am geting D/L of 25Mbps consistantly and U/L of 1.6Mbps since the U/L is capped on this product.

Good enough for me as I don't upload much.

Should have added, after running http://www.dslreports.com/faq/tweaks/5._RWIN
and selecting 'Optimize' with the Slider on my current speed, my speed went from around 16Mbps to the current 25Mbps (Windows XP).

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 25-Sep-11 11:41:55
Print Post

Yea I was thinking you'd ordered an ADSL product but the engineer installed an FTTC one. 2am in the morning is my excuse laugh

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
23.5mbit down / 8mbit up
Standard User NuttyMucker
(member) Sun 25-Sep-11 12:00:05
Print Post

Well done!

I was in exactly the same boat as you. As soon a s the cab went live my stats went off however a neighbour still had there's and was able to order the faster broadband service with BT

I fought with BT and eventually they declared that an estimate had been used for part of my line that made it too long. I was able to order with ADSL24 back in August smile I have a 30GB peak cap which is fine as I only seem to use around 12GB a month and do my downloads at night or over the weekend were I tend to hammer it a bit.

I was quoted 7.5Mb down and 500Kb up and get the following which is great as I was only getting 1Mb down frown

Speedtest

Standard User iand
(experienced) Mon 26-Sep-11 20:35:56
Print Post

lucky and also shows persistance pays off, others take note smile

IanD
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to