User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nelix01
(member) Tue 30-Aug-11 21:10:50
Print Post

Re: Quality of BTInfinity router/modem

[re: RayP] [link to this post]

Full info on the Hub 3 is available HERE

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 30-Aug-11 22:46:20
Print Post

I really do prefer a single box solution but at the same time I don't want to tie myself to BT hardware-wise. I don't need the speed of Infinity and this post was an enquiry to see what had changed in the last year or so. It seems very little has.

Strange reply ??
To decide not to take a service because it means having to have two boxes ?
Little has changed ? Well for a similar price you could be going much faster, you also mention that you upload from your server, surely 10meg upstream would make this run much better ?

V.odd.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 31-Aug-11 09:02:33
Print Post

The standard four ports, finding a router with more than 4 is very rare and expensive

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 31-Aug-11 09:04:45
Print Post

Couple of years - more like 18 months since BT Infinity launch, remembering that Inifinity is just BT Retails brand name for FTTC and FTTP products.

At some point in the future the hardware will change to customer choice, but that is some time off as VDSL2 hardware and customers buying their own modem is not that common anywhere. In fact for many ADSL lines ISP supplied modems are very common.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 31-Aug-11 11:01:57
Print Post

Been using the openreach modem (like everyone else) and the older Home Hub 2 for a year and there's nothing much to complain about.

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
23.5mbit down / 8mbit up
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 31-Aug-11 15:36:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The standard four ports,

Probably worth pointing out port 4 on the BT Home Hub3 is a Gigabit port.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware
Standard User asbokid
(newbie) Thu 01-Sep-11 02:44:26
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

There is a supplier in Beijing who is selling VDSL2 modem routers for 200 yuan (around £20). I am working hard to negotiate a minimum order of, erm, one.

These devices, which have the model number DB120-B2+ are the CPE used by ChinaTelecom. The devices use the same xDSL processor, the Broadcom 6368, as Huawei has used in its Openreach-branded HG612 model.

The Broadcom 6368 is a competent piece of kit. It's a 32-bit dual core MIPS System-On-Chip which is widely used in other VDSL2 CPE. The 6368 has been sighted in the wild in CPE used in Chile, Argentina, Finland, Red China, Romania and Germany.

The Huawei, of course, is best known for getting hot, very very hot.

The ChinaTelecom VDSL2 modem-router by contrast exudes pure communist class. It is in a slick black metal enclosure, runs as cool as a cucumber, boasts 4x gigabit ethernet ports, sports unrivalled 802.11n WLAN and a USB 2.0 port.

And with twice the RAM and twice the flash capacity, this magnificent little beauty of Beijing leaves the smoldering bourgeois beast from Openreach for dust.

Even the retail price of the DB120-B2+ is only 258 yuan (£25). So the crippled and steaming hot Huawei HG612 must have cost BT Openreach considerably less, perhaps even less than a packet of 10 counterfeit fags.

For some photos of the DB120-B2+ see here...

http://www.wifizoo.net/viewthread.php?tid=43049&extr...
Standard User G3UZF
(committed) Thu 01-Sep-11 09:12:42
Print Post

[re: asbokid] [link to this post]

Why does everyone seemingly knock the poor old BT/OR Modem?

Mine runs just warm to the touch and is far cooler than the HH3.

Don't know what the revision status of my Modem is, but it's about 10 weeks old.

Upside is, if it breaks, BT/OR come and replace it for free.

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Sep-11 10:40:24
Print Post

And is the router accredited for use on a british telephone connection? If not then it would be illegal to use it in this country.
Standard User Garyilka
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Sep-11 14:51:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by asbokid:
The Huawei, of course, is best known for getting hot, very very hot.
Mine stays as cool as a cucumber - as does my Sisters and my next door neighbours. True these are all presumably latest models as they are all less than three months old, but to continue to tar ALL as getting very hot is just not accepting reality..........

This earlier thread clearly gives some evidence that the later models are not prone to overheating:- http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/bt/f/4019624-bt-inf...

Edited by Garyilka (Thu 01-Sep-11 14:58:17)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to