User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MWraith
(regular) Fri 07-Oct-11 15:07:52
Print Post

Re: Help with terrible download speeds

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Downloading of files is slow as well, sometimes around 20kb/sec

I don't understand why the speed isn't fixable when it worked fine for 9 months until I complained about disconnections, then they did something at the exchange which fixed the disconnections but made the speed unusable. I can't see how it was necessary to slash my speeds by a factor of 20+ to fix the disconnections.

Is there a BT contact person on the forum?

Edited by MWraith (Fri 07-Oct-11 15:10:42)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 07-Oct-11 15:22:15
Print Post

[re: MWraith] [link to this post]

Important listen to what people are saying.

The evidence is pointing to it not being an ADSL issue, but other factors such as congestion.

Is it slow at all times of the day, or just specific periods?

There is BT_Care who post on the bbs

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MWraith
(regular) Fri 07-Oct-11 15:28:06
Print Post

Hi,

I wasn't trying to be argumentative but I'm not sure you're listening to what I'm saying either. Until last weekend, the speed was absolutely fine for 9 months. Then, something was done to fix my disconnection issue, allegedly at the exchange.

I cannot understand how it can be a congestion issue in that case, the speed was fine, some work was done last weekend, now it's not fine. If it was a congestion issue then surely it would never have been fine, I live in Canary Wharf, I doubt the number of people using the service has changed drastically over the course of a few days.

It is slow at all times of the day, equally slow at 4am and 4pm. Prior to last weekend it was not slow at any time of the day, not once in 9 months. If I am being thick then I apologise but I cannot see how this can be congestion related.

I have PM'd BT_Care, thanks for pointing him out

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User shrimper1
(regular) Fri 07-Oct-11 15:29:03
Print Post

From my experience with Orange, I can recommend elevating your problem with your ISP. Next time you call BT support, request a call back from a senior manager.
Standard User MWraith
(regular) Fri 07-Oct-11 15:30:53
Print Post

[re: shrimper1] [link to this post]

Thanks, I will try that too, I have been trying to get through to BT for the past two days on the phone but without success so far, seems they are very busy.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 07-Oct-11 15:48:02
Print Post

Question: Was your upstream speed 448Kbps or around the 1000Kbps area before they did the changes at the exchange?

If 448, then they've moved you onto WBC which is different backhaul, and does sometimes have problems.

From what we can see the ADSL looks ok, there are errors which might be enough to slow throughput, but hard to say. What BT might have done:

1. Slowed line down slightly by increasing target noise margin, i.e. dropping sync speed from around 5800 to the current 5300
2. Done a lift and shift, i.e. same type of hardware at exchange but different port
3. In addition to (2) you might be using different backhaul link, and gone from the good one to the bad.

The ball would appear to be in BT court, nothing you can do other than chase them. Without historical connection data hard to figure out what may have happened, i.e. we are guessing.

You complained off speeds being 20 times slower, but the data I've seen shows 1168Kbps from a 4551 IP Profile, so only a drop of four times. Still not good obviously, but keeping the story as accurate as possible will help in progressing it, as over state one aspect and if people find out that was overstated the normal behaviour is to assume other things are.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MWraith
(regular) Fri 07-Oct-11 16:02:12
Print Post

I really don't remember what the upload speed was, I never had cause to pay attention to it before, I do upload files sometimes for my work but can't really tell the difference because they are usually relatively small text files. I never log in when I use the speedtester so I can't get the historic results.

I will keep trying to get through to BT but don't seem to be answering their phones over the last two days.

I complain of speeds being 20 times slower because that is the practical result that I am getting. The thinkbroadband speedtester gives ~200kb/sec on average now, previously it gave 4mb/sec. When I download a file from a website I typically get 20-30kb/sec now, previously I got around 600kb/sec. I appreciate that the bt speedtester shows 1168 kbps but that doesn't seem to be of any practical use to me, I can't download anything at 1168 kbps from anywhere. BT could say my speed was 1gb/sec, but if I only get 20kbps/sec download I don't know what I'm supposed to do with it smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 07-Oct-11 22:44:47
Print Post

As XRaySpex pointed out earlier, the power levels are very suspect.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User geordiekris
(experienced) Sat 08-Oct-11 09:25:39
Print Post

Re: Help with terrible download speeds *DELETED*

Post deleted by geordiekris
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to