User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Nov-11 23:58:32
Print Post

Re: BTO Modem & HH3

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It doesn't exist as far as I'm aware.

Seen some BT documents that suggest the DLM mechanism runs from day 1 and constantly monitors. No waiting around for 10 days.

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
29.5Mbit down / 5.5Mbit up
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 12-Nov-11 09:39:59
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by orly:
It doesn't exist as far as I'm aware.

Seen some BT documents that suggest the DLM mechanism runs from day 1 and constantly monitors. No waiting around for 10 days.
Good to have someone agreeing smile. Whenever I mention it there is usually a deafening silence.

But the BT Wholesale DLM always did run from Day 1 and constantly monitor. The first 10 days only ever set the MSR and MTR. The idea that it could speed up the connection in the 10 days, and that obvious faults should not be addressed, has always been a total myth.

I do believe that as well as the Openreach DLM that runs on the cabinet DSLAMs, the BT Wholesale one still runs for WBC connections. It would be hard for it not to do so. Its main purpose I assume in that case would be as per its ADSLx usage; to control the network loading and routing as a whole, and reduce packet loss at various points by limiting the delivery speed to and through their MSANs.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 12-Nov-11 12:21:34
Print Post

this is what is posted on the BT infinity forums:

Dynamic Line Management

Dynamic Line Management (DLM) is employed in GEA-FTTC. DLM constantly

manages lines to maintain a target stability. It does this for as long as the product

exists.

At provision, the line is put on wide open profiles, allowing downstream line speeds

of up to 40Mbit/s, and upstream line speeds of up to 2Mbit/s or 10Mbit/s depending

on the upstream product option selected.

On the first day of operation, DLM will intervene if severe instability is detected.

Otherwise, DLM will wait until the day after provision before intervening, provided

that the line has been trained up for at least 15 minutes during the preceding day.

If DLM intervenes it will set a capped profile with a maximum rate and a minimum

rate, where the minimum rate is set at approximately half of the maximum rate. The

purpose of the minimum rate is to ensure that the line does not train at a rate which is

significantly below the level the line should be able to achieve. If this happened, then

the line is likely to remain at a very low rate till a re-train is forced by the user

powering off the Active NTE.

Note that the upstream throughput is also constrained on the DSLAM to the upstream

rate requested in the order, ie 2Mbit/s or 10Mbit/s, so even if the upstream line speed

is higher, the upstream throughput is constrained to the level ordered for the product.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 12-Nov-11 18:11:48
Print Post

[re: Alnath] [link to this post]

Yes, that is the Openreach DLM, and there is no dispute or even a question about that smile. The OR DLM however only controls what happens between the exchange and the cabinet, and on to the premises. There is clearly no 10-day period involved there.

However, I also raised the point that WBC, which Infinity relies upon, also has its own BT Wholesale DLM, which is where the 10-day period does exist for ADSLx, and I assume also for FTTC. Amongst its functions, this DLM is used to control flows through the BT Wholesale backhaul network.

In the case of FTTC though, the mere idea of it setting MSR and FTR figures is laughable, and that is the only thing it does for anything at the end of the first ten days - ADSL, ADSL2, ADSL2+.

Quite where the IP Profile we see when doing a BT Wholesale speed test resides is something I don't think any of us have seriously thought about. I begin to suspect it is purely within WBC and not a feature of the Openreach one. That behaves as per the quote you give.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 13-Nov-11 10:30:02
Print Post

There doesn't appear to be anything that happens in the first 10 days on Infinity - full speed ahead.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 13-Nov-11 10:34:42
Print Post

i am only the monkey, its the organ grinder you need to be telling
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to