User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 01-Jan-12 14:37:20
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity

[re: lg56xbp] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lg56xbp:
I care because I don't appreciate my ISP dictating what I should and should not be allowed to do. That's for lawmakers, not private corporations.

Moreover, if they start with torrents it's only a matter of time before other protocols are treated likewise.

Wait until Infinity becomes seriously populated ... I bet you'll see serious shaping then. frown
I haven't seen anyone complaining...
In reply to a post by BatBoy:
You will find the ones complaining are not actually using the service. You can see the extremes of that in the TalkTalk forum.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 01-Jan-12 15:14:52
Print Post

It's the throttling bit that irks me. I'm not a torrent user - never have been. But if Be and numerous other companies can offer a truly unlimited service then why should anyone accept an inferior (and more expensive) offering from BT.

Perhaps the punters feel happier using a product, which due to it's advertised throttling, dissuades the folk who would use it to download terabytes a month ? Maybe the bandwidth they have earmarked for themselves looks feasible in business terms, if those who choose a 'truly unlimited' product, and all that entails, are not tempted to join ?

If 'Be and numerous other companies' can offer a superior and cheaper service, why doesn't everyone use them ? People like choice, it's human nature. If BT Infinity isn't your cup of tea, then don't use it, simple.

Standard User lg56xbp
(newbie) Sun 01-Jan-12 15:53:43
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

The Be comment was in reference to ADSL2. Be don't offer FTTP/FTTC .. yet.

ISPs should not be allowed to use the terms 'unlimited', 'unrestricted' or 'no limits' unless it really is the case, but that is another story.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not criticising BT Infinity. First, I don't have the service so can't comment on performance. Second, if my exchange did offer Infinity I'd order it today. My comments are based largely on having used BT's ADSL2 offering.

There is always a simple method to circumvent any form of throttling anyway, so that isn't a major issue if you know what you're doing.

I agree with your comments on the whole though smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 01-Jan-12 16:29:49
Print Post

[re: lelboy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lelboy:
Hmmm, perhaps I've completely misread a few posts on here regarding how good Infinity is.
Some regular posters appear to be saying "awful": that's not been my experience.
If this was triggered by this thread, you have indeed completely misread some posts smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User GMAN98
(experienced) Sun 01-Jan-12 16:41:32
Print Post

Is it about coping tho?

Yeah they could throw more bandwidth centrally so they don't have to throttle but that would mean higher priced products, bandwidth isn't free.

Would you rather that is the case, a higher priced product for people whether they use torrents or not?

It is very competitively priced at the moment, I'd rather it stay that way personally, who cares about torrents fast or slow?

For legit reasons torrents probably makes up 0.000001% of a customer base.
Standard User lelboy
(member) Sun 01-Jan-12 17:25:21
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi Bob, I think it was this thread!
I thought MHC gave a link to a very poor speedtest.net result - <10 - and said "Awful".
Well, Happy New year anyway.
Cheers, Les.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 01-Jan-12 17:31:41
Print Post

Happy New Year to you too, but that thread wasn't specifically Infinity, the OP can't even get it, and read my post there about people (sensibly) tending to discourage multiple TBpm downloaders from joining their service smile

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User lg56xbp
(newbie) Sun 01-Jan-12 17:44:12
Print Post

[re: GMAN98] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GMAN98:
Would you rather that is the case, a higher priced product for people whether they use torrents or not?

It is very competitively priced at the moment, I'd rather it stay that way personally, who cares about torrents fast or slow?

I agree with you 100%.

BUT

Wouldn't it be better if ISPs were simply upfront about what they are providing, what it can be used for and when, and what the real limits are?

I for one would gladly pay anywhere from £50 - £100 monthly for a truly unlimited 100MBit pipe.

BT (and other ISPs) should offer a product which really is 'Unlimited' - and charge accordingly.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 01-Jan-12 17:54:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by lg56xbp:
Wouldn't it be better if ISPs were simply upfront about what they are providing, what it can be used for and when, and what the real limits are?

I for one would gladly pay anywhere from £50 - £100 monthly for a truly unlimited 100MBit pipe.

BT (and other ISPs) should offer a product which really is 'Unlimited' - and charge accordingly.
They are up front. The throttling of torrents is stated explicitly.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User MHC
(legend) Sun 01-Jan-12 18:11:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by lelboy:
Hi Bob, I think it was this thread!
I thought MHC gave a link to a very poor speedtest.net result - <10 - and said "Awful".
Well, Happy New year anyway.
Cheers, Les.

I certainly did ... but it was slightly TIC tongue

I find it near excellent - even though I have a very odd issue at present which can be replicated - or even removed by along with BT Tech Support, Engineering Support, second line support and tech visits we cannot find the source and permanent resolution.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to